Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Crossposting from the bicycle thread as I forgot this one existed.

Anyone have a Canyon Grand Canyon 5? Feeling the mtb itch and it seems like a hell of a deal compared to other entry level models like the Salsa Rangefinder. I'd probably add a dropper seat post to it but otherwise the poo poo I'd be riding around IL/WI isn't exactly demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Crossposting from the bicycle thread as I forgot this one existed.

Anyone have a Canyon Grand Canyon 5? Feeling the mtb itch and it seems like a hell of a deal compared to other entry level models like the Salsa Rangefinder. I'd probably add a dropper seat post to it but otherwise the poo poo I'd be riding around IL/WI isn't exactly demanding.

Welp it dropped to $499 for world bike day so I ordered it. Will probably add a PNW external dropper and then beat the hell out of it until I can justify something different.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I've got a PNW Cascade 150mm/31.6mm dropper brand new in box, if that happens to be the size and length you would need. I bought it for a bike trip last May, but it didn't fit and I missed the 30 day window for exchanges.

Fortunately/unfortuately that's too big and I already ordered the right one, but thanks!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Baby's first mtb and N+1 arrived and thankfully the rain stopped enough to take it for a spin. I've ridden literally thousands of miles on my road/gravel bike but I feel like I'm learning how to ride all over again. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to but man, it felt so weird not really being confident on what should be a more than capable bike. Sure looks great though.

I added a PNW Cascade dropper post and Loam lever, flats and grips in orange for a pop of color contrast, plus some cheap cages I found on Amazon that fit the theme. Saddle got replaced after the ride because it felt awful and seemed like it was trying to perform a vasectomy no matter how I adjusted it, which is weird since I am used to riding a road saddle for hours at a time.

Since there's no braze ons or anything to secure the dropper cable on the top tube I tried velcro wraps and zip ties first, which just kept slipping around since it's a tapered tube. Had an idea to make some non-slip zip ties by running a bead of hot glue down them and that seems to have done the trick, at least in quick testing at home.

Now to ride it as much as I can and either drop a bunch of weight real fast (I'm pushing 300 :/ ) or ride this coil fork until it explodes and replace it with a Rockshox Yari or similar.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Looks nice. I'm using a lot of the same PNW stuff and it seems decent. That nose looks wayyyyyy high and may be part of the problem. Shoot for level or nose up a couple degrees at most.

Is that a coil fork? Looks like a fox (34 rhythm maybe?) which is air.

I'm half an idiot and didn't realize the saddle could pivot as much as it does, there's really not any adjustment on my road bike. I replaced the saddle with something that was a little more ergonomic anyway.

The fork is a SR Suntour XCR X1 32, which is coil and pretty bottom of the bin. It at least has preload and rebound adjustment and a lockout but it's probably going to go eventually.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Going to MTB from road is such a weird feeling. I’m three seasons in and my brain still doesn’t like how loose things feel on the MTB and can’t comprehend that drifting and sliding a bit is totally okay.

New saddle is a huge improvement and I got the suspension set up a bit better for my weight. I feel way more comfortable on it now but even coming up on small exposed roots and limbs my brain is all "oh god brace for impact" and probably will be for a while. Excited to find ride some trails actually intended to be ridden with a MTB soon though, as opposed to the overgrown poison ivy filled bullshit I have accessible nearby.

Also, in addition to Gorilla tape, paracord, gaffer's tape, zip ties and electrical tape, bulk elastic cord is a DIY gear essential item.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Did that bike come with an external dropper or did you add it?

I added a PNW Cascade dropper and Loam lever.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

casque posted:

You might split the difference on your saddle tilt and try it out with the top level to the ground and make very minor adjustments from there.

Yeah I actually tipped it back closer to level last night. Going to hit some real trails Monday and really get it dialed in.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hell I frequently throw my road bike in my truck and drive somewhere else to ride it on the road. poo poo gets boring riding the same routes over and over again and if I can drive 10-20 miles to get somewhere new I'll do it. It is also a 20 minute drive to get to what passes for actual mountain bike trails here so yes, I will drive there as well.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

As far as mountain bikes go, at the bottom of the barrel of new offerings that you can buy that probably won't kill you is the Walmart/Ozark Trail hardtail: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-29-Ridge-Mountain-Bike-Medium-Frame-Gray-Adult-Unisex/1656914661?athbdg=L1600

You will likely need to know how to/pay someone to give it a once over to make sure it wasn't set up incorrectly and your bars won't fall off mid-ride or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Most of the times I have crashed/fallen on a bike have been at very low speeds or even stopped, but my head still could have impacted asphalt or a tree or rock with enough force to cause me some major problems. Once it did, but I was wearing a helmet. Wear a helmet, you only get one brain.