Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Qr rear? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Single pivot? Sup with that?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have a line on a free ardent, currently running a minion ss. I like the cornering grip of the ss, but the traction is pretty poor. Thoughts?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Machine built sucks. Flow sucks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Machine built trails are too wide and too smooth. Flow us fun for about two corners then I want a different kind of corner after that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

guess you'll just have to make a pilgrimage to the midwest and see whats up

we have such sights to show you

Yes I should leave a place full of actual mountains to ride in a place where people ski on garbage piles.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Friendly reminder that there is a pretty active goon bike discord.
https://discord.gg/7P3gzXR

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

jamal posted:

Made a few more adjustments to the hei hei

Firstly, new bars and stem. Went to a raceface 800mm carbon bar from the stock 780. 780 felt fine but I am tall with long arms and the 800s also feel ok. It was more for the sake of carbon and lighter than any fit concerns. Rise and sweep are also about the same. Went with chunky esi grips instead of regular, and also raised my levers up a touch. The bigger change is the 45mm stem coming from 60. This bike has felt a little long and the shorter stem really seems to have helped on the first ride the other day. Seems like I'm a little more in control and the handling has quickened up. It was a little sluggish to change direction in the tighter corners.

It also seems like the smaller volume spacer in the shock is an improvement for me. I get to have the rear end feeling a little more like I want and it used most of the travel down my nearest "rough" descent. I'm keeping track of my settings and changes in a spreadsheet. Initial pressures were 67 in the fork and 185 in the shock, and I've gone up just a touch for today to 69 and 190. Also gave it one more click of rebound front and rear, but that's just to stay at fox's recommendation. Fork is a 34 SC with standard grip damper and rear is a float dps, so ok but nothing fancy. Would be nice to have a low speed compression adjuster on the fork.

Next change will probably be a new set of cranks. I'm annoyed at how heavy the truvativ descendants and stamped steel ring are, and that they put them on an XC bike. Just going to sram's aluminum chainring is like a 100g saving, so getting something like raceface's carbon cranks or even the carbon gx ones plus a new ring is going to save close to a pound. Then some XC tires next spring and I might like going uphill on this thing a little more. Still probably going to need a new xc race bike next season though. Either keep this and get an fsi or sell it and buy a scalpel. Two bikes better than one right?

Are your race courses pretty technical? It could be that a more capable bike is faster overall. I bet carbon wheels on your current bike would be as fast as a full xc bike with alloy rims. I guess it all just depends on how much you're willing to spend for some pretty marginal gains.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

yoohoo posted:

Biking in Colorado > everywhere else. The climb was brutal but the downhill was well worth it. I had tried checking out the USAFA Falcon trail but the base is still closed to non DOD personnel. Kinda bummed but this was a solid alternative.

Glad to hear that, stay there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I created a pair of trailforks routes that combined were 5 miles shorter and 1000' vert less than what my garmin measured. Anyone else have this issue?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Looking at the new Ripmo Deore build. I know there are a few Ripmo riders here so I'm looking for some feedback.

Currently riding a 2017 Norco Optic 27.5 which is 140/120.

My local trails are around Wenatchee wa, mostly blue square, will I feel horribly overbiked?

Done any big 5+ hour rides with it? How is the efficiency over long distances.

How is the ground clearance? I'm constantly pedal striking with the Optic on technical climbs. Drives me nuts...

Should I upgrade to the carbon wheels? It's $800 to do so, and I could get some Chinese wheels for that price. I'd end up with two sets of wheels which might be nice.

Other brands my lbs carries are Orbea and Norco. Any thoughts on their bikes? Norco you get some pretty good value for money, and a new Optic has been on my mind. I'm not sure just going up to 125r travel is going to provide the ride I want.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I can ride the optic and the occam, but unless I find some random person on the local FB group I won't be able to demo the ripmo. Maybe I can get on a sight or a rallon to get an idea of what a longer travel bike would be like to live with.

My optic is a weapon for the local trails, the problem is when I ride the stuff further from home. I've been doing weekly 5-7hr rides in the Lake Wenatchee/entiat area. These trails are moto legal with tons of roots and rocks. The optic really gets bounced around and requires some careful line selection. A longer travel bike would give more margin for error and hopefully would be more fun as well.

The right bike is probably the Occam, but it just doesn't excite me like the Ibis. If I was to try a long travel bike, the nice thing with the Ibis is I can sell it for nearly what I paid for it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I had been thinking so much about this bike buying thing I was having dreams about it (I don't have much going on). I rode the new optic on a very mellow test loop. I liked it pretty well but felt similar enough to my current optic that I ruled it out. I had sort of resigned myself to getting a ripmo despite the long order times and lack of test ride.

Then I decided to check the other local shops for anything interesting, that's when I found the new sj evo. The groupsets for the money are superior to the ripmo. I really liked the swat box for my long rides. The frame is lighter than the ripmo and it comes with lighter tires (I would have swapped out the assegais right off the bat). I like the geometry options as well. I'll probably run it high and steep most of the time, but the option to go low and slack is nice for a park day.

So there you go, it's going to take just as long to get as the ripmo, but I think it'll fit me a bit better.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

Nice! When did they quote you for delivery? I love the SWAT box and the top cap tool.

I didn't get a really firm date. February / March. All of the trails are closed until April 1st so I'm in no rush at this point

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I've not had that any better success riding on freshly fallen snow with fat tires. It's still too powdery and packs between the knobs right away, living you with a giant slick torus of snow.

Were you riding snow specific tires? I have not experienced snow sticking to my Vee snow avalanches.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

4.5" measured Vee Bulldozer. They're not particularly paddlelicious. And 4.2" Husker Dus before that, which had less traction but did shed snow well.

less than 10 according to my pump but not really sure. I played it by ear, feeling out how much squish made sense.

Just guessing pressures for fatbiking can mean a not fun time. I run 4.5f 5.5r for the groomed singletrack we have here.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

ought ten posted:

Hey, I'm trying to get my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. Hoping I might get a decent end of season deal on a used bike. I'm pretty set on a hardtail, mostly for affordability. My usage is going to be northeastern single track without much elevation. Different mountain biking friends are giving me different advice on looking for a 29 or a 27.5. So seems like the best course of action is to get more opinions from more people. Is there a consensus, or an easy rubric?

Focus more on finding a good deal in your size. There are upsides and downsides to any wheel size, but it doesn't really matter since you're starting at 0.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have this magcshine headlamp:

Spent $150 on the drat thing and I've used it < 20 times. It now does not seem to be holding a charge. I like how the headlamp attaches to my helmet, so I'd like to keep the form factor. What should I get to replace it? Really disappointed with the lifespan of this product. I had an older magicshine headlamp that held up great. Unfortunately, I've handed that down to my BIL.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

If you like the light, I’d keep it and get a new battery from Action LED or eBay. It’ll be cheaper than getting a new light and battery anyway.

Can you link me the proper battery? Do I have to tear my battery apart to do this? I'm not sure what I need to look for.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

In your position I would contact the seller and get it replaced.

I've done that both through their site and through Amazon. We'll see if they get back to me. The particular model isn't even on Amazon any longer so I don't have the option to leave a nasty review.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

Nah suspenders still lets you get all the airflow, but I'm sure if it was a really good solution it'd be more common. I may just be destined to be a backpack goober.

I knew ski patrollers that did suspenders for their fanny packs (that’s the real name let’s be honest) and they liked it. I tried out the Patagonia fanny pack and just found it way too tight/bouncy when really loaded with water. Typically I do rides that I can do with a bottle and no pack, or I want 3L. You just can’t carry that much weight on a fanny pack.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Anyone have recommendations for a good pump track technique video and a good jumping technique video?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The pumping video is very good.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I do a lot of snow and ice riding with studded vee avalanche tires 4.8” on 95mm rims. I’d make drat sure snow specific tires are available in 27.5. The bike sucks rear end on dirt trails. I consider fatbikes snow/sand only toys.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have any impressions on high (12-16 degree) backsweep bars?

I'm having an issue in my shoulders/upper back with pain between my shoulder blades that I've tried rest, stretching, strengthening, and PT on without much help so far. I tried checking my bike fit vs me with help from Lee McCormack and sounds like my fit was already really close to ideal. Still, I made the changes he suggested and it didn't help the pain. Seems every ride about 6-7 miles in it starts to hurt and makes doing normal rides more of a chore. I rode a lot more this year than normal, but still only ~700 miles on trails. It started mid summer at the height of my riding, so may have been due to overuse. I haven't really ridden much since August but the few rides since then it's happened still. I've tried paying good attention to my posture while seated as well but again nothing seems to help.

I'm thinking I'll give SQ labs bars a shot and see if it helps because I don't really know what else to do at this point.

I know this is late, but I’m a big believer in the 16 degree sq lab bar. It puts your shoulders in a more relaxed less hunched position. I also have a little time on the pro taper 20/20 bar which I liked but were too narrow. You might also try narrower bars as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you can get any bike this spring that fits your requirements go for it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Not sure you want them to rotate with your hand. That seems too loose. Ive seen like 2-3 nm for cockpit items like shifters and brakes and that seems about right.

I have good luck with tight enough that they can still be rotated by hand. The real solution is back it off 5-10% and don’t crash.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Top tip for weight weenies - do what I did and lose 15lbs since the start of the year. Just been out on the MTB for the first time in a while (thank you UK winter) and gently caress me I was flying up the climbs. It's like I was on a brand new super light weight bike!

Hell yeah 15 lb loss brother. I am shooting for dropping another 10 which would put me around 180.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Nice one! I'm at 180 at the moment but might keep going to 175, it's crazy how much of a difference it's made.

In other news I had an awesome day on the bike on Saturday. The trails were dry for the first time in forever, I felt way more confident and smashed some downhill runs that 6 months ago I would have failed badly at. I do notice that my rear shock (rockshox deluxe RT) has a hard time keeping up now though. To keep myself from wanting to buy a whole new bike, I'm tempted to invest in a coil shock. I've read that my bike's frame (2017 Jeffsy 27.5) is very progressive and is well suited for a coil, especially for the type of riding I've naturally gravitated towards. Has anyone else swapped an air shock for a coil?

Can you do volume spacers? What does a shock that is having a hard time keeping up feel like? Speed up the rebound?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The cost of even a used coil is a lot of money you could put toward a new bike. I’d also consider a better air shock with the same tune. You might get lucky and be able to find one cheaper. Keep in mind unless the person can provide receipts of a recent service that you’ll want to do one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

In Washington if you are there August-September look at angels staircase. It’s just west of the town of methow. It’s 25 miles / 5500’ of vert of amazing backcountry single track. Another area is the Entiat ORV trail system. Highlights include Pot Peak, Middle Tommy, and Lake Creek. These are all very big rides in the 25 mile / 5000’+ range.

If anyone is interested in these sorts of rides drop me a PM. I’m a bit of a local expert now on the entire Entiat system. I’ve ridden almost every single trail in the Lake Wenatchee/Entiat/Chelan system. If these trails were in Colorado or some large population area they’d be considered world class backcountry rides.

Other areas worth checking out is the Kettle Crest trail outside of Republic. I’ve never ridden it but I’ve heard good things. Devils Gulch outside of Cashmere Wa is another classic. It’s a bit shorter than the Entiat rides and can be done as a loop or as an out and back. Out and back is a nice option if you aren’t sure you have the legs for the full ride.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Plus tires aren’t great if you’re leaning the bike over and cornering hard. Lots of weird flex makes them handle strangely. I think they are a good option for hard tails if you aren’t pushing very hard. It was an attempt at selling more bikes without having to redesign frames since they’re effectively at 29er in diameter.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Shoulda bought the next size up?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

How long is that dropper? Looks like a great opportunity to run a 200mm dropper

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bike supply is pretty screwed up. If you can get a bike in your price range that fits your needs go for it. I have a bike on order that I’m going to bail on if I don’t have it by June 1.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Called my LBS and was told the SJ Evo Expert I have on order won’t be here by June 1st. I had mentally set that as a deadline so I’m not sure what to do. I’ve got myself convinced the swat box will be super sweet so I’m a bit stuck on that model. Any suggestions for a similar bike that I might be able to buy?

I think the two main options are wait it out and just get it when it comes in, or wait for the 2022 model which might have better components. It could also cost more and have roughly the same stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I was just told the specialized stumpjumper evo I ordered last fall isn’t coming until fall as a 2022 model. It could very well cost more as well.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

The SC I ordered is coming next week (fingers crossed etc). gently caress a spesh tbh.

Yeah the bike got marketing budget of the year so that increased demand. I’d cross shop bikes but I’m convinced I’ll really like the swat.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That looks pretty darn small. You sure it wasn’t there before? Awful nice of the shop to offer a replacement.

Anyone know anything about the RM Instinct 50? There are a couple on Jenson and that looks like one of the few bikes I could actually get. Reviews seem pretty tepid.

n8r fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Your feedback meshes pretty well with the few reviews I found. I’m not real excited for the fact that it’s the same frame as the next bike up (slayer?). I’m also thinking about resale down the road. Bike of the year well known Stumpjumper vs. more niche with stupid name.

It’s sounding like supply will be fubar for 2022 so I’m really leaning toward holding out. My preferred shop does Norco and Ibis, but their Ibis is special order only. I can’t imagine I can get a Ripmo in any reasonable amount of time. I’m tempted by the Norco Optic but it’s a couple of years old now and I bet the new one comes out next year.