Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Boogalo posted:

I finally found a bike to buy so checking into the purple club

Roscoe 8, overpriced as poo poo but I'll have it for a while at least. Had to go to "women's" labeled frames to get a good color.

That’s a cool bike. Even if overpriced, everything on it is solid and you’ll be probably be glad you paid a bit more for a bike that needs nothing and has no weak links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Boogalo posted:

figure out my comfort level for things ex: moving the bars up and down, trying a shorter stem or riser bars and better grips, etc.

Trek makes a good bike but I’ll never understand why their stack heights are the same (low) all the way from S to M/L. It defies logic and anatomy.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

That’s a speed hole.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I really thought this bike shortage and demand spike would be over by mid-year, but I appear to have been stupendously wrong. I was eyeing the new Orbea Occam and the expected ship time on their website is June of next year.

I’ve got two friends who want to buy bikes and start riding with me and the best our LBS can do is take a deposit for a Diamondback they expect to be able to order in two months. Insanity.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

thatguy posted:

Just speaking as a guy who needs to order materials a lot, it's like 20% demand spike and 80% materials and logistics problems. Even shops that are healthy and 100% in business have to deal with suppliers that aren't, and even if their suppliers are, the supplier's suppliers aren't. I wanted to bid on a job doing a quarter mile of boardwalk, and I had to back out solely because I can't get a quote that'll be good for more than 5 days, and those I did get were astronomical with no guarantee that was the worst of the pricing. I know a few guys that do timber work, and while crews are cutting nonstop, mills are barely paying anything and a good number are only cutting on demand. And the lumber industry is 4 basic elements, timber buyers/crews, mills, wholesalers, and buyers. People might not realize it yet because they're so focused on small poo poo, but the US economy is straight up loving hosed.

I’d hoped it was mostly a demand thing, but that makes sense. I was considering taking advantage of the inflated market to sell my 2 year old bike for what I paid for it, but maybe I ought to hold onto it if I want to find a replacement bike before 2022.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My RockyMounts Monorail has been great on the back of my 2012 Mazda3. It has just enough space from the hatchback to open it without contacting the rack.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I looked up Uhaul and the install labor price was around $140. I watched the instructions on etrailer and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself in under an hour.

Having a lift is a huge advantage when your car is as low as a Mazda 3. If my local uhaul didn’t quote $350 for the install I’d have had them do it in a heartbeat. Well worth the hassle saved.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

in a well actually posted:

Looking at an open box Intense 951 XC; 120/120 and 28.5 lbs, $2700 w/discount. Any better deals for an equivalent bike out there now?

If you’re over 6ft YT has an XL Izzo Core 2 for sale from their outlet right now for $1999. It’s arguably even better specced.

https://us.yt-industries.com/products/outlet-sale/550/izzo-29-core-2/?number=102114&variant=variant

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I bought a bike! Feel slightly guilty not buying from a LBS, but this one made sense for my budget. Despite it being a “value” brand I’m really impressed with the quality!

Are tanwalls still cool?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

spwrozek posted:

looks good.

What is up with that disconnected and tight housing?

I promise it’s not as tight as it looks. I just forgot to fasten it to the frame before I took the pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Scrapez posted:

New bike day! 2022 Nukeproof Mega 290 Carbon Elite.

Need to cut off some excess dropper cable and convert tires to tubeless. The brakes also feel squishy so I'm going to have to bleed them.

I was looking for more of a trail bike but the price on this one was too good to pass up. It's not a super aggressive enduro geo so hopefully it still pedals reasonably well. Weather is crap here but should be able to get out tomorrow to ride it.

That yellow looks great. It probably won’t ever feel like a sprightly and responsive rocket on the flats, but with that Fox 38 and X2 there’s virtually no terrain you can’t crush. It’s basically bike park ready while still being perfectly fine to pedal, which isn’t a bad compromise.