Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Hey everyone, i'm moving soon to somewhere where temps are below freezing for half the year. What should I do about tubeless sealant there? Are below-freezing temps an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How cold?

Orange Seal says the range for their various sealants are:

Northern Norway; from -5ºC down to -20ºC for a few months in midwinter.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Eejit posted:

What's the thread consensus on tire sealant?

Stans Race sucks tho, don't use that.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I've had a Brand-X Ascend-II dropper for a few years now, it's been absolutely great for the money. Kinda heavy but always worked well.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Casu Marzu posted:

Didn't even realize the difference between the previous and 2024 Roscoe 6. It was the 2024 version I rode, because it had 29" wheels/air fork/through axles.

mate of mine had the previous Trek Roscoe with the QR rear and he was fiddling with it all the drat time, it would pop sideways on poorly-judged landings when he was jibbing about. He tried better skewers and stuff but it was genuinely a bit of a headache for him.

I know you were looking at the newer one but just another warning on the pile for anyone that finds a bargain price on the older spec.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

amenenema posted:

New XC whip - Orbea Alma H20

Nice! A friend has one and absolutely adores it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Polish posted:

Thanks for everyone's help. I realize now that I don't know poo poo about bikes haha.. I was sticker shocked looking at bikes which led me to the amazon ones considering I have the equivalent of that now. Gonna try to visit the local shop this weekend and see what they have.

If you guys want a laugh heres what I have:

OK, you have a bike you enjoy and it gets you out in the world doing cool poo poo in the woods. Sounds like a great bike to me, shouldn't piss on that.

Why do you want to change/upgrade, what's niggling you about the current bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I simply ride my bike

Back seats down, take the front wheel off and put the bike in the car. Perhaps put a tarp down too. Carry two bikes on top of each other. Two bikes and two riders, no problem.

Aphex- posted:

Speaking of riding in the mud/wet, if you can and your trail system allows it I would definitely recommend doing it as much as you can. After a colossally wet winter here in the UK it's finally drying up slightly and even though you don't notice it at the time, wet weather riding improves your skills on the bike so much. I remember last year coming out of winter with the first day of real hero dirt and I felt like I was glued to the trail, there was SO much grip that I didn't think about before. Cornering and body positioning and staying loose on the bike matters so much more when it's slick, but that translates to dry trails immensely.

It definitely gets old having to do a complete wash down of your bike after every ride though to get all the mud off, but that's just part of winter riding I guess.

The UK view of "yeah our trails are mainly just old footpaths through the hills between towns, no-one needs to actively look after them much, they've been used for hundreds of years all year round" vs the US experience of "this is a curated trail system that people have to take effort to manage, please don't ride (or run) on it when its wet aargh" is a big cultural difference.

meltie fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 12, 2024