Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The old thread was my best contribution to these forums. Farewell, old friend.

In other news I’m on a trip to the George Washington National Forest right now. Did Reddish Knob yesterday and have never gone so fast while still grabbing my brakes at the same time. Today was Lookout Mountain, which featured a crazy technical descent after miles of climbing on fire roads.

I’m loving this poo poo; it’s a nice diversion from the manicured singletrack I normally ride in the DC area.

It's the best riding around! If you see this tonight and can download this, do the 40k loop tomorrow (it's the first loop on the track, leaving out the Hankey climb and Lookout): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6805361

Festival and Tillman West are the two descents and they're both really, really fun. If you can't download it I guarantee you that someone at the campground knows the route. You're probably talking to someone who does right now (assuming you're camping there). Have a blast, I'm super jealous and annoyed that I haven't been out there since the 60/40 a few months ago.

VacaGrande fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

My GF (newer to riding) used the hike to talk about downhill line selection and if she thought she could get the section clean.

Every mountain biker hiking, ever. Congrats, she's hooked.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Sadi posted:

Almost done repainting my Karate Monkey. Just need one more coat and then clear. Next step is cutting some matte gold vinyl for the KM logos and what not. I was going to get some custom fox fork stickers ordered this week for a Factory 34 I picked up, but fox hosed me on that.
https://www.slikgraphics.com/shop/fork-decals-fox/

this is going to look amazing, great work

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It's not necessary, but I've run into a few descents that suddenly got more rocky, so would have been nice to have more clearance to shift back to tip toe over the technical bits.
Not worth the extra weight, but nice.

I think it was cyclingtips that made this point in a review, but I agree with it - the main reason I don't like dropper posts on gravel bikes is that they stiffen the ride considerably for relatively little use. If you don't use a dropper you can get some compliance out of the seatpost, especially now that there are a few good flexy or compliant posts available.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Anyone have a good way to lock a thru axle mountain bike to a QR bike rack? I have older Thule Circuit roof racks then the adapter for thru axle bikes to work with it. you can just pull the axle and take the bike though. The vast majority of the time I am never away from the car in this situation. I have some kryptonite cables that I can use to "Lock" the rear wheel and frame to the rack. It works and is better than nothing (easily can be cut though) but is there something else I should look at when I need to leave the bikes for a bit? I know rocky mounts has a locking adapter from thru axle to QR rack but it doesn't seem like it actually works from reviews.

I have a similar setup except Rockymounts roof racks. If I think I'm going to have to lock my thru-axle MTB on my rack I bring a u-lock and a cable, put the u-lock around the roof rail, and the cable through the frame and rear wheel. I don't have any illusion that this would stop a serious person but it lets me eat lunch or something nearby.

I also own the Rockymounts adapter and it's not great. My biggest issue is that it slips in the rack's QR clamp - the surfaces on the adapter are slick and no matter how much I lean on the clamp closing the rack it still slips back. The "locking" part of it just clamps down on the axle itself to hold the bike, but I don't really see why you couldn't just unscrew the thru-axle with enough force. I haven't tested this theory but I'm not extremely confident in its security. If I'm actually worried about it the bike goes in the car.

tl,dr: no :smith:

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Nyyen posted:

Funny that, I just left the flowing dirt tracks of Iowa and have been trying out the trails in western Maryland. It has been a traumatic experience.

The one black diamond trail in Des Moines is barely worse than the access trail to a blue line out here. I don't know how I'm supposed to ride this stuff uphill.

Is that the newer stuff near Deep Creek Lake? Looks fun.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Nyyen posted:

Sorry, I'm used to thinking of Frederick as western MD and forget about the little bit cut off by WV. This is Gambrill State park and the Frederick Watershed north of Frederick. About 7.5-8 miles in on the Catoctin Blue Trail. I loved the less chunky sections, but there were 4 or 5 sections of that crazy chunk on sustained uphills that was just brutal. Unless you did it while I was watching I wouldn't believe it would be possible to pedal the whole way up that, not even if you were a world class trials rider.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/catoctin-blue-trail/

All the descents are above my paygrade, but stupid fun. Looking forwards to getting in some more time and improving way more than I did just riding the mellow stuff in Iowa.

Ah, in that case you're talking stuff I know. The Shed/Gambrill is the best riding for a long way around, nothing else that good until you get down to Harrisonburg area. You're gonna love riding there. If you want a good descent that anyone would enjoy there's a brand-new machine built flow trail right near Hamburg Rd just to the south called Three Saws. Super fast, super fun. It's the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLzzTkyyl4

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Nyyen posted:

Had a great ride in the Shed today. Thanks for the trail recommendation VacaGrande. I almost took out a snapping turtle in the last 5th or so.

drat nice trails even if they kick my rear end.

Glad you liked it! Three Saws is the only machine-built trail like that up in that area (that I know of). It's a bit more techy, but Viper to Pit to Vandal on the north side is a really good descending sequence that doesn't have the World-Cup-holy-poo poo features of some of the unofficial stuff. It spits you out just up the road from the parking on Mountaindale Road. You can also see if you can find the Sheduro stage maps, those are great for techy downhills that won't kill you.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

thatguy posted:

Yes but what if I want

to get into some and/or nefarious activity

Man, if people are living there, you really don't want any part of this. And what kind of terrible city/county/park/whatever puts the burden of evicting homeless people on their trails contractor?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

I rode Frederick Watershed yesterday morning for the first time in two years. Still on my hardtail but between wider wheelset and tires, better brakes, a wider cassette, rebuilt fork, and two years or experience, it went way better than last time. I was following a friend since I don't know the trail system. We ended up hiking up part of (I think) Catoctin Trail from the bottom of Three Saws because there was just no loving way, then we tried to ride up the Powerline Trail but it was so badly overgrown that we got separated and I ended up walking through someone's back yard to get out, rode the road back to the Hamburg Road lot, then 3 more miles of chunk.

Had lunch, then finished the day off with 10 miles of flow trails at one of the parks in Montgomery County.

Was having too much fun to take any pictures. Still plenty of stuff I had to walk over, I'm a little beat to hell today, a full sus is still several years' budget away, but I am so stoked about how much better I did than last time that I can't wait to get back up there.

Nice! If Three Saws is the end of your day you can ride Hamburg Rd up to where VW exits and get on Knucklebuster the rest of the way up the hill. It’s a good climbing trail. Alternately, turn around and climb back up Three Saws to the blue trail, then VW down to Knucklebuster and back up to the parking lot.

gently caress, I need to get out there more often.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

If you have a phone with you, the MTBProject or Trailforks apps can help you out.

In this case Trailforks - none of the Frederick Watershed trails are on MTBProject.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I really prefer MTB Project and their app. So add more trails to it!

Agree that it’s a way better app. I think they verify everything posted there to make sure it’s sanctioned with the land management. The trails up there aren’t illegal (mostly 😬) but they’re also not 100% official. I’ve always assumed that’s why otherwise-popular trails aren’t on MTBProject.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

toiletbrush posted:

MTB noob checking in with a question - I've noticed a few times on (small) jumps that sometimes my front wheel gets kicked and turns left or right. Normally I seem to get away with it but yesterday on a particularly jumpy trail it sent me over the bars on landing. I got an awesome looking bloody arm but since then I've hit every jump kinda gingerly and it sucks.

Is there any obvious advice for this? I'm pretty terrible at bunny hops and tend to yank the front up on drops etc so figure this is probably part of my problem.

Jumps or drops? The technique is different. This is a really good video on good drop technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6iDi7J68Ls

Also watch Kate Courtney, she nails it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEwmabMJeOH/

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

n8r posted:

Machine built trails are too wide and too smooth. Flow us fun for about two corners then I want a different kind of corner after that.

Have you tried riding faster? Or better?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
I generally avoid the question by not asking and just rolling bikes straight to the elevator.

spwrozek posted:

Locked in the car, locked to the car with a cable, locked to each other with a u lock, covered up is what I would do.

Agree 100% with this. Can't be too careful if they're out of your sight. I'm really surprised that Winter Park would have a rule like that.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Arishtat posted:

New River Gorge, Glade Creek camping area, West Virginia

I love those trucks! Nice. There are some fun trails up on the Fayetteville side of the Gorge next to Arrowhead Bike Farm, which is a cool and good place with camping and a little restaurant. I've heard there are very good trails at the Boy Scout camp nearby but they weren't open to the public when I was there.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

me your dad posted:

I need new grips and I'm trying to decide between ODI Rogue lock-on, which is the only grip I have used in the last 15 years, and the ESI Extra Chunky grips, which I have never used. To those who use ESI grips, while they look smooth, I imagine they are very grippy - can you confirm? One thing I like about the Rogues, besides how meaty they are, is that they feel almost tacky to the touch.

ESIs have plenty of grip, but if you don't have an air compressor they can be a huge pain to install. Related, the easiest removal method once you've worn them out is to cut them in half. I really like them and if I didn't have weird wrist issues on long (3+ hr) rides I'd use them on every bike, I switched to Ergons with a little wing because it helps me keep my wrist straight.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Gryi posted:

I think this is a common occurrence, could somebody please confirm?

Just looking to get into the sport, so I went to my local Trek shop. Test rode several and decided I absolutely love full suspension, but it was out of my budget. They said they were clearing out past model years and had a 2020 Slash 8 for 2000 bucks, about half price (3800 retail).

Looking online, even used, I can't seem to beat this deal, except for bikes direct... but it's still bothering me that I could spend 2K and end up not liking it.

I did however take a fully rigid with knobby tires verrrrry slowly through our local double blacks and had a blast.

Is a year old model half price how they typically clear them out? Thanks in advance.

Clearing out a 2020 Slash for half price is nuts in COVID times and you should jump on that. Even if you don't like MTBing after all you can probably flip it for more.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Id planned to take it easy and roll everything but that bottom launcher is deceptively aggressive so i was a bit too fast, caught air in bad position and got launched otb into my face and shoulder. At least no concussion and lower body and torso are fine. Medical was surprised i was so lucid after a slam that hard.

drat. Glad to hear things aren't worse. Don't know where you are in the area but I have a good ortho I would recommend in Bethesda. PM me if you'd like the name. Hope the recovery process goes well.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

My quest for a fun budget hardtail came to a glorious end this morning with a Honzo ST.

Bought it from a seriously cool dude in Denver who had built it up from a frame, it now has a 140mm Pike, the recent XT 12 speed groupset and brakes, DT Swiss 350/stans flow mk3 wheelset, and a bike yoke revive dropper. It's also got some carbon bars that I will likely replace at some point. Jesus christ this thing is so loving fun, and I definitely realize now that I've never had a mountain bike with enough/good enough brakes for me.

That's a fantastic build, great find.

Boogalo posted:

Thanks for the offer. I'm down in Charlottesville and fortunately my mom is in the field and very well connected so i got in to see someone good this morning and have surgery scheduled for Thursday already. Prognosis is good. 6 weeks or so for wrist cast, shoulder will be much more mobile in a week or so but sling for 6 weeks too. Finger is a simple splint

Good deal, heal up quick!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah I dig it. Come to think of it I think that's the system I've taken my first ride on for both of my hardtails, but never on a FS bike, totally unintentional. It is sandier than I've seen it though, I came pretty close to losing it around turns a couple of times but thankfully stayed upright.

I may just leave a sixer of something on the seller's porch, dude did a loving great build on this and a super good price. The only part I'm not totally sold on is the handlebar. Dude did a raceface SIXC, which is to me a pretty pricey bar, and feels pretty nice, but for some reason I get spooked by a carbon bar. I know this is absurd but I may wind up getting an aluminum bar and selling this at some point.

Dunno how often you crash but carbon bars are pretty bombproof these days and a lot of them do have a noticeable effect on smoothing out really high frequency vibration.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
As a rider in a hot and humid environment, hip packs are a thousand times better than backpacks. Hip packs let your shirt hang loose over your back instead of just pressing against you. I use a Hot Laps but most of them seem to be good. I find backpacks to be really awkward when moving around on the bike too, whereas hip packs (for me) stay put and don't affect my upper body moving around or bounce when I have to change position quickly.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
Very cool! I bet there's some insane deals to be had on used bikes in Dubai.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

Possibly dumb question but is there anything I should know about a pressure sprayer used on bikes (gravel and emtb specifically)? I want a pressure sprayer to help clean my parking spot and figure I’ll kill two birds with one stone, but didn’t know if there things I should look for or avoid in a pressure sprayer on a bike.

You see pro mechanics do this all the time and those pro mechanics also service or replace every bearing and seal on the bike after every race. Don't use pressure washers on a bike and be really careful even with the jet sprayer on a hose nozzle. The "shower" setting on a typical hose sprayer should be fine.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Had a great challenging ride yesterday, tackled a LOT of very steep stuff as well as a few big chutes like this one:

Obviously pictures don't do it justice, but you can see my riding buddy for scale at the top. Looking down on it before dropping in is quite freaky but it's super fun when you do it. Next up will be plucking up the courage to do the drop in with the overhang on the right.

This looks steep in the photo so it must be a wall in reality. Nice.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
It really depends on where you are as to whether trailforks or MTBproject is better. I use both. The one thing MTBproject definitely has going for it is that they seem to actively prevent anyone from adding non-legal or poached trails. There are definitely trails on trailforks that are iffy from that perspective, at least around here.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

n8r posted:

Yeah the bike got marketing budget of the year so that increased demand. I’d cross shop bikes but I’m convinced I’ll really like the swat.

Other issues with the brand aside, Trek has a similar system if they have something you like in stock.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Dread Head posted:

The current optic is only on it's 2nd model year I think. I got the first year of the new sight last year which is a very similar bike and love it. I have some friends with optics and they also like them. Only thing I have had issues with is getting the rear shock setup to my liking, I wish the suspension was more progressive.

The Optic was new for 2020 and is pretty universally loved. It won't get replaced for another couple of years. I have three friends with them now and their only criticism is that other 120(ish) bikes pedal a little better. The Optic is pretty squarely on the going-fast-down-things side of the short-travel trail bike market.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

rockcity posted:

My wife is looking to get a bike to start joining me on some trails. Probably mostly bike path and gravel path type stuff, but I want to find her something that could tackle some easy singletrack. What should I be looking for on an entry level bike that could handle a variety of terrain? I’m figuring a basic hardtail with maybe a less aggressive tire that would be ok on pavement too, but I’m trying to do some research before going into some shops with her.

Ideally for a great starter bike that you can keep riding for a long time, you want an air spring fork vs. coil, 1x drivetrain, and hydraulic brakes. Depending on how steep your trails get and how much you want to spend, the brakes would be the last thing I'd compromise on out of that list.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

We’ll don’t need advice on Whistler this weekend as someone drilled through our garbage access and then through the second garage door and stole my bike last night. rear end in a top hat left the drill in its place but didn’t take the battery charging a few feet away so jokes on them I guess.

Oh gently caress, I'm really sorry. Following along with your riding has been really cool and I hope you're able to be made whole again soon.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

Update: Well, my bike shop is having me come in at 3:30 to to set up a demo bike for me to borrow this weekend so I can still go riding on my Whistler trip. Still haven't heard back from an insurance adjuster.

That's a good bike shop.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Is it really necessary to practice an XC loop? I guess if you're riding anyways why not. As a kid I signed up for an XC race because I was already doing dual slalom and downhill at the same event and figured I'd go test the track a few hours before the race started and I came back basically as they were starting - whoops.

It makes a huge difference to know the loop and specifically the obstacles. Even if it's mostly grass or smooth trails, knowing where you can carry speed and don't have to slow down is an enormous advantage. Not to mention if there are obstacles, knowing the lines can make up multiple positions at one time. I try to recon every course I can.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I bought a 2013 Trek Marlin in 2016 when I lived in Dallas, and then didn't ride it because life sucked. $350 for the bike and a computer and mount (which I have packed up and don't know what kind or where it is). I moved to (near) Seattle end of 2019 and have started riding a little bit more since this spring. I've upgraded the factory pedals and grips and had a local reputable shop do a service that replaced the worn out chain, installed a PNW dropper post, trued the wheels, and replaced/adjusted worn brake and gear cables. All total I'm in the bike for probably $900 now, which is pretty good ROI compared to the amount of fun I've had on it since moving to Washington.

Before I do anything else to the bike, it's pretty old so I may just buy a new bike instead. The only thing I think is somewhat pressing is the rear tire is going to need replaced within the next year. An eight year old bike is getting pretty ancient but it suits my needs just fine for now. Should I keep riding and upgrade it as I go, sell it and get a new ride, keep it and get a new ride?

Bike market is bonkers right now to the point that if you don't have to buy a new bike I'd probably wait. Sounds like you're happy with the bike, so get a new tire and wear that one out too.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

me your dad posted:

It sucks because this shop is five minutes from me and the next closest Trek dealer (not a "Trek Store") is thirty minutes. The good news for me is that the other Trek dealer is right next to a fun trail system, and they brew beer and have a little bar area so I can enjoy that at least when I bring my bike for service.

Can vouch that "the other Trek dealer" in this case is good people even if they're less convenient to get to. And yeah, this happening within two months shouldn't be on you. They should have processed it as warranty work.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

JoeSchmoe posted:

Well in my neck of the woods, it was a former government minister.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/former-mp-ron-davies-accused-trail-sabotage-caerphilly

Hate to start on a dodgy note, but defected to the battery powered world this summer and picked up a Marin alpine trail e1. I’m getting more riding in, and the bike is surprisingly spry considering the extra weight.

This dry and sunny place cannot possibly be Wales. Look, there's almost dust!

nice bike tho

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
If you're out that way the Massanutten Western Slope is a bit more natural and super fun. Everything I've ridden in the GW is just excellent but the trails around Stokesville are particularly world-class. Stay at the campground, ride from your tent. Big climbing and long downhills, it's a blast.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I have all this new bike excitement clouding my judgement and, at this very moment, I don't know poo poo about forks. I've got a lot of reading to do before I drop any more cash.

I'm so used to 100mm travel and so far my only thoughts on the Fox 36 'Rhythm' are "holy poo poo this is plush". Which, come to find out, it's 170mm, when the ad listed it as "150mm Fox 36".

The rest of the build was spot on with everything brand new, but I'm feeling a little bamboozled. I suppose it's time to start hitting up the bike park a bit more often.

Are you sure it's 170mm? If they listed it at 150mm they might have set it that way. You can change the travel in that fork, and what you measure on the stanchion might not represent the actual fork travel.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

prom candy posted:

What's the best way to take advantage of my dropper post if I'm riding trails that aren't just straight descents? The system that's close to my house has a lot of ups and downs, should I just be dropping the seat for the descending bits and then rising it back up for climbs? Or should I be keeping it down pretty much the whole time?

I will say I feel pretty uncomfortable with the seat down. I think I probably need to work on my riding position in general.

Also thanks for the tips on pedal replacements, loving the pink and teal and these chesters feel way more stable than the pedals the bike came with

If you started riding without a dropper before you got one, even if you come from road or gravel riding, the first few times riding with the seat down are really weird. If you're like me it's because you've gotten used to having the seat pressed (or braced) against your thigh on one side or the other as you go downhill. It just takes time to get used to that feeling of having the seat out of the way. You'll get used to it and you'll be amazed what the bike can do when it's not trying to throw you over the handlebars on steep tech.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Sounds like I need to convert them then.

Waiting for a puncture is the most sensible but I'm having as much fun messing with and modifying the bike as I am riding it.

Followup question - Is there a good tire guide out there? I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock tires but I kinda want to put on something with more aggressive tread. I don't mind a little more rolling resistance if the tradeoff is more cornering grip.

Forekasters are pretty good all-rounders (especially if it's the new version), if you're looking for more grip I'd consider changing the front over to something like a DHF and keeping the Forekaster as a rear tire for now then see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

abigserve posted:

Its like 2500 feet, it's Mount Stromlo in CBR if you wanna look it up (also; to be fair, apparently it is more accurate to say it was, at one point, world renowned as it hosted a couple world championships around the time I was an active rider)

I think you guys have sorta swung me back around, and the price differential makes good sense as well.

Stromlo-posting as I ride there a lot:

It's not 2500 feet of elevation difference which I think they were asking, 2500 is the actual elevation of the peak. It's about 700ft of elevation gain/loss on the front side and 400 on the back side where the more technical stuff is. If you ride the back side a lot an ebike would be nice, as all the fire roads back up from the bottom on that side have pretty steep pitches (up to 30 percent on Casuarina). I ride it regularly on my leg-powered 120mm bike where I'm outgunned on both suspension travel and watts but I make it work, and I vastly prefer a lighter non-e-bike for all the other riding in town. That said, I agree with the above that if all your buddies ride e-bikes and you'll be sticking to winch-and-plummet riding it's probably good to get one too so you can all ride together. Maybe demo a bike or borrow one and see how you go riding with them not on an e-bike?

VacaGrande fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 10, 2023