Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Hey, I'm trying to get my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. Hoping I might get a decent end of season deal on a used bike. I'm pretty set on a hardtail, mostly for affordability. My usage is going to be northeastern single track without much elevation. Different mountain biking friends are giving me different advice on looking for a 29 or a 27.5. So seems like the best course of action is to get more opinions from more people. Is there a consensus, or an easy rubric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks. I did ride a full suspension 29er a couple years ago and it definitely felt like a huge step up from my early 00s 26. But haven’t been on a 27.5. I’ll try to get on some more bikes. It’s been tough with the pandemic.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

rockcity posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

I’ve seen the tifosi sledge reviewed as a good budget option. There’s a half frame version too.

E: budget is like $75 or $80, I don’t know what your definition of moderate priced is.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 24, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I was focusing hard on a tricky (I’m a stupid newbie) stream crossing yesterday and then super pumped that I nailed it, and for both reasons I completely forgot I’d have to navigate the bank on the far side, so I just gracelessly belly flopped into the dirt. Still hella fun

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

rockcity posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

Not sure if you got some glasses already, but Backcountry’s having 25% off a lot of sunnies, including the aforementioned Tifosi Sledges.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

n8r posted:

Oh get over it.

I said with good technique he could solve his issue. How is this problematic?

Lol wtf n8. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt before, and besides op was fine with it. But “good technique” is absolutely not going to solve the issue of a fused spine and a mostly missing leg muscle group. Come on. Problematic aside, it’s completely unhelpful

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nice.

This morning I nailed the drop that whacked my taint last time, and also went otb target fixating on a soft berm. So it’s impossible to say if I’m good or bad at bikes. (I’m bad.)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Man...now I got to get a torque wrench? I always just kind of wing it...

Installing Cushcore is for sure a fun time... Partial Octopus and I got it done though.

Wrenching on motorcycles has taught me that torque wrenches can be useful but mostly aren’t necessary. And sometimes they’re actively harmful, like I’ve snapped a bolt because I dialed in the wrong torque and stupidly kept cranking on it. If I had been using a regular socket wrench I would have stopped at the point my intuition/experience told me yeah that feels tight enough. There are critical bits where it’s good to have the torque just right, and maybe this is one of them. But if you have some wrenching experience you can probably judge torque by feel in most cases.

(I realize this is very unhelpful advice for someone with no wrenching experiencing and thus no feel. Maybe for those a torque wrench and lots of care can be a good way to learn.)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Levitate posted:

With lots of carbon parts being clamped etc with bikes it's still probably a good idea to use a torque wrench even if you believe you have good feel

Oh that’s a good point, I have not dealt with carbon in any machine

h3r0n posted:

I wonder what the issue is with these whackadoo wrenches.

It’s me

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Can anyone recommend a handlebar phone mount? I’m looking for an alternative to pulling over at each junction to find my way.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You're going to blow the lens assemblies if you hardmount your phone to your bar/stem

Ah, good warning, thank you. I knew that was true for a motorcycle, didn’t realize pedal bikes had the same effect. Watch is a good suggestion.

I know people do use old phones or buy cheap ones for nav, but I’m not sure how that works with a sim and so on.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Just get a purpose built handlebar mount gps if you need real-time navigation.

I don’t need it enough to justify that. I’m just trying to ride some new local trails/ follow people’s strava rides. Only really need directions the first time through.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nocheez posted:

We're expecting a baby in 3 weeks, so riding time has been very limited. I managed to get out Monday for a night ride, and again yesterday evening by claiming it was safer to ride in the daylight. The weather in NC has been perfect the last few days, we don't usually see such low temps in August.

Just had a baby two weeks ago and got out yesterday for my first time in a month. Hard to justify being an hours ride out into the woods before the due date, and impossible to find time and energy after. But felt great to be out again, physically and mentally.

Preemptive congrats on the new baby!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nocheez posted:

*Seinfeld voice*: Do you ever notice no one ever congratulates you on your old baby?

Right back at you. This is our second, so it's much less stressful. I try to just go out and have fun on my rides and not get hurt. If I return home uninjured I consider it a good ride.

Second for us too. The newborn part is a lot less stressful, a lot easier this time around. But the toddler part…whew

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

It’s getting too dark for evening rides which means I’m thinking about lights. The various review sites point me to multi-hundred dollar set ups with thousands of lumens. Riding buddies point me to no-name Amazon offerings for :10bux:s and like high hundreds of lumens. Which way do you all go? This is for non-racing, pretty flat and techy riding.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I broke my collarbone when my kid was really young (<1). It's a good way to get your wife pissed at you as a bonus.

I’ve been all around taking it pretty easy this year for covid and young kids reasons, but I had not considered the very specific ramifications of that specific injury. Yikes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Also 36 but this was my first year riding MTB.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Spent last night with a group fixing up and maintaining some of the local off-piste natural trails around me. Was super satisfying to get rid of some horrible muddy ruts, drain lots of puddles, and rebuild some jumps and turns. It's the 3rd time I've done some trail work now and it really makes you appreciate how much effort goes into making and maintaining all the stuff you ride.

Everyone should volunteer their time once in a while, it really pays off.

There are off-piste mtb trails?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It takes about 2 weeks of pretty consistent riding for my undercarriage to not hurt if I hadn’t been riding. I’d do that before I bought a new saddle.

That and while your body is getting used to it it’s going to hurt every time you get in the saddle, so don’t take that as a sign of a bad fit necessarily

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Aphex- posted:

They're basically unsanctioned/unofficial trails that the forestry commission are fine with as long as you don't make any dumb features on them.

Ah that makes sense. Everything around here is so small that I don’t think anyone develops trails like that so I’d never heard of it. Or I guess if they do they haven’t told me.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Questions about going tubeless. I bought my bike used 18 months ago and either I was confused or the seller was confused, or he was intentionally deceptive, but the tubeless tires I’ve been riding on turn out to not in fact be tubeless. I was running low to mid teens PSI since the fall, feeling lucky I got away with that.

Still, I’d like to actually have tubeless tires. First, is it worth doing myself or should I just have the local shop do it ($40/wheel, they say)? And if I do it myself, which kit do people like?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Levitate posted:

Do you mean they weren't tubeless but were setup tubeless? Or that they were never setup tubeless to begin with?

As for setup, if you have a real good pump with good airflow you might be able to set up the tires with that, or use an air compressor if you have one. That's probably the trickiest part, getting the tire set.

To be honest if you're going tubeless it's good to learn how and have the tools because you'll have to refresh the sealant at some point and if you deal with flats or tires wearing out paying the shop $40 every time is annoying.

Tubeless valve stems like Stan's are fine, Orange Seal sealant seems to seal up better than others (I tend to use the Endurance kind), watch some youtube and give it a go.

Again it's a good idea to know how it's done in case you do manage to flat out in the wilderness and need to put a tube in (always carry a tube, maybe something to boot the tire if it gashes bad enough sealant can't seal it)

Thanks. I should have been more clear: tubeless tires with tubes in them. Sounds like my current cheapo pump is going to be the weak link here.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MarxCarl posted:

Found in the OSHA thread, looks like good info on helmets, which I was just looking for a new one.

The anxiety of scrolling down, down, down and not seeing your helmet

Today was sublime riding in New England. Perfect weather, trails mostly dry, and I had a very rare day with no other responsibilities. My legs are shot and blisters are coming up on my palms. Didn’t get any pictures that captured the beauty of the day or the fun of the riding, but I did get this one of a Choda in the woods.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is One Up still the thread’s choice for dropper? My TranzX got some grit inside and now it won’t fully extend on its own. I could just replace it with the same model but it’s also right on the edge of being the correct seat height and it would be nice to try something different.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Haven't tried oneup but pnw is another solid one. Good warranty and sounds like they take care of customers pretty well. I haven't had mine for more than a year but so far no issues. And you can get it in different colors, which is the most important factor when buying anything bike related.

That's the Loam, right? Unfortunately my stupid bike is black.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

It depends on the post but its usually pretty easy these days (unless you have a rockshox reverb, lol). Look up the dust seal replacement and lubrication instructions for your model. Usually it's a matter of unscrewing a few parts and wiping it down. You'll probably need to pick up some slick honey or whatever grease they spec. It's a good idea to do it every so often or that grit will shred the seals, bushings, and finish on the post.

Yeah this is why I’m in the market for a new dropper. Got some grit in, wore a big scar on the finish, and now it only comes up about halfway. Clean your posts friends.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Speaking of tubeless, I’m on my first set. I was out a couple days ago and needed to add a few pounds to my rear. When I started pumping a small amount of sealant started bubbling out where the stem meets the rim. It stopped eventually and the tire seems to hold air fine. Is that anything i need to worry about?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

No, I haven’t. My shop did the work earlier this season.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks you two.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Scrapez posted:

New to mountain biking. Looking for a 27.5" hardtail. I've rented both a 27.5 and 29 and the 27.5 just felt more comfortable. Probably because I'm used to a 26" BMX. The 29 just felt huge and hard to flick around.

I have my eye on a Marin San Quentin 2. What's the consensus on it? I like the 65 degree head tube angle as I think I'll be doing a fair bit of downhill runs. I live next to Coler in Bentonville so will be riding there a lot. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It’s one of only a few bikes I’ve ridden but I really like my Norco Torrent hardtail. Pretty similar geo to the Marin I think, slightly slacker.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I have 2 young children and was able to carve out a 2-hour ride today. I feel incredible!

Best feeling in the world. Well done.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steve French posted:

They redid the commander, stiffer and 92/102 vs 98/108. Deathwish 104 tour. Countach 110 (same as already revealed last year). I think other than that mostly minor tweaks and new topsheets.

They went narrower for this year’s Commanders? I’m always interested to see width trends.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What is the Reddit meme bike?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I wear contacts and non-prescription clear or sun glasses because I’m too cheap to buy prescription sports glasses.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

All cops are good.

(Except the falls. And the police.)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

REI currently has them for %20 off so SOLD! Much less of a decision when it's a $35 dollar difference and not a $100 one.

Not sure what you need but OneUp themselves might have a deeper discount.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/dropper-post-v2?variant=40893810573409

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

You just saved me fifty bucks, thanks!

e. spoke too soon, it's a $4 difference but would arrive a week later. alas!

Ah too bad. I’m glad you got a discount, hope this doesn’t take the shine off any.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nah that’s really not fair at all. I’m with you in theory, but in practice the local trails I ride the most are 10+ miles away. It’s a rare day when I have time to ride that far and also ride the actual trail.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

imo that's as big a plus for emountainbikes as anything else. zipping along down the road at 25mph makes a lot of trails a lot closer timewise

I should buy an e cargo bike to carry my analog mtb to the trailhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

NiteRider Lumina 900. It's my first light and I have nothing to compare it to, but it lights up the trail where I want to go so I like it. Mount goes on my helmet with a webbing strap, which means you have to put it where the vents are. And while it's never fallen off, it sometimes shifts around a little. It's easy to move between helmets though.