Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What's the deal with companies moving to carbon only frames? Is it that much more profitable? I'm in the market for a new bike sometime in the next few months and every single one I've narrowed it down to don't have an alloy option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

vikingstrike posted:

What bikes are you looking at? It tends to vary by company and model.

Mostly the Spur, Optic, 5010, and Fuel 8. Transition's new lineup are all cf and Santa Cruz said they aren't making alloy frames for certain bikes anymore. Norco had alloy as an option on the Optic in 2019 but 2020 is all cf. Bikes are already pricey as hell I don't want to pay the cf tax on top.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I don't mean to say there aren't options out there, I've spent a lot of time looking and reading, it just so happens that 3 of the 4 I've settled on don't offer aluminum when they did last year. I'm just noticing a trend that I hope doesn't pick up.

I'm not in any hurry to buy, I'm moving back west next month and I'm going to try before I buy, so the models I've *settled* on could easily end up not being what I go with. But I don't really care for most Specialized or Giant bikes.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 1, 2020

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

paberu posted:

A few of the local shops have Kona Honzo in stock, but only in Medium. I'm 169cm and fall between Small and Medium but there is no way for me test both sizes. Should I just try the Medium and if it's fine go with it, or wait? I don't really know how sizing for MTBs is simmilar to road where I'd size down if in doubt since I prefer the more agile fit.

Is there a comparable bike to the Honzo I should try tracking down? The Co-op Cycles DRT 2.2 has some really nice parts but I don't know what I'd be compromising on.

I’m 5’10 and ride a medium Honzo. I’ve got a longer than average torso for my height so probably could have sized up, but I’m pretty happy with the medium. But with how progressive geo is getting I’ll probably size up my next bike.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs area for the next ~3 weeks and am looking for some fun rides. Does anybody have any recommendations? Anywhere within ~45 minutes. I'm coming from NE chunk so long and flowy would be ideal.

Also would take recommendations for some good trails I can take my gravel bike on.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 21, 2020

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks for the recs - these all look solid. I should be able to knock most of em out, I'm working remote with east coast hours so getting off at 3 leaves plenty of time for post work rides.

I was planning on hitting some red rock canyon trails and I'd read about the captain jack's. I'm not looking for anything crazy or epic days in the saddle, just some trails that don't require shuttling that I can get a good 2 hours on. The rampart range looks like an awesome ride though, the climb will probably kill my lungs but those views.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Biking in Colorado > everywhere else. The climb was brutal but the downhill was well worth it. I had tried checking out the USAFA Falcon trail but the base is still closed to non DOD personnel. Kinda bummed but this was a solid alternative.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

rngd in the womb posted:

Fixed that for you.

:hmmyes:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

New bike day. First impressions are insanely good, but what stands out is how well it climbs. Climbs that would have left me beat at the top on my Honzo were no problem, even without using the rear lockout. Ripping down trails is incredibly loving fun.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Yep it’s a Fuel EX7. I was hoping for an 8 but this was more or less the only bike in my size that I wanted in the area, so I went for it.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

After they went through all the effort to line them up so perfectly in that shot? Rude. :colbert:

Thank you I’m glad somebody noticed.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
It’s supposed to hit single digit lows over the next three nights... I don’t need to be concerned about leaving my bike in the garage, do I? It’s insulated but still gets pretty cold out there

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

That's what I was thinking but I haven't been in a place where my bike isn't in my living room for 6 years.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
How do y'all deal with riding in the rain and muddy conditions? I recently moved back to the Pacific Northwest and I'm itchin to get out but its rained 15 of the last 18 days.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I actually saw that Remy video on PB an hour after my post. I've got the mudguard and the acceptance that I will eat poo poo and slide around all over the place. I doubt if my tires are specifically for winter/wet riding, but they are Bontrager 2.6/2.5, so at least should be plenty wide.

I don't have anything waterproof for pants but regardless of temperature I generally ride in shorts. I'll probably need to reconsider that huh. Those TLD pants look nice but $185 is a bit much for me right now.

Skiing would normally be my alternative but cuz covid poo poo all the mountains around me are doing reservation systems with dynamic pricing and priority to season pass holders.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Basically what he said. Marin makes good bikes with a good spec for their price, they’re definitely worth checking out too if you can find them.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I haven’t ridden either but I was looking at the rift zone for a while. In general it seems to be the better all around bike - a little more travel and more modern geo. The hawk hill is supposed to be a very “fun” bike though, if you want to flick it around and manual at every chance etc, then it’s great for that.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I refuse to believe that it's going to take 8 months to a year for a bike shop to resupply. Why would they even open?

When I bought my new bike in October they were saying it could be that long, but also that they continue to get bikes in a handful at a time and they never really know what they're gonna get in each shipment. Pretty much every bike shop in the country put in huge orders in the spring and now a lot of those orders are slowly being cancelled so the bikes are being allocated to other shops that can sell them.

Basically everybody at the ~10 shops I talked to said the manufacturers are saying 8 months, but realistically it's 2-3 months, if not less. You might get lucky. Keep calling the shops and asking what they have in stock and eventually you'll find something. I picked up a Trek Fuel that had arrived at the shop that morning.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got an opinion about Polygon? Looking at their models between 2-3k. Full suspension with good components...

I give zero shits about big name brands or whatever and know how to use tools.

I haven't rode them but I almost picked up a Siskiu T8 before they sold out last summer. They were pretty well reviewed and considering the price point you can't really do much better.

They just released some new models the other day, I have no idea if they're available yet or not but if you can find one I wouldn't hesitate.

n8r posted:

If you can get any bike this spring that fits your requirements go for it.

But more importantly, this.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

paberu posted:

Are the totally great dropper posts worth upgrading to? The TranzX dropper my Honzo came with is starting to get stuck on the way up - either have to lower and raise it a few times, or pull up on the saddle while holding lever down.

The PNW Loam looks great, but it's nearly half the cost of a new fork and that seems like a bigger improvement to the bike.

The dropper on my Honzo started coming back up slower and slower too before it altogether stopped. Turns out it had lost air pressure and I just needed to pump more air in it. Works fine again. A shock pump is like $30 if you don’t already have one.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Anybody in the Portland area know how the riding is? I just moved here in the fall from NYC so I'm sure it's going to be better, but I haven't had a chance to check out the trails since moving.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Cool, thanks. I know sandy ridge and the pump track is that fairly new one, yeah? If I was smart I would have gone out today.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
^^^yeah I love my gravel bike, I'm very into this. They really make it easy to get out.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yeah just opened up a couple months ago.

Rode scapoose tonight, beautiful weather but quite greasy, great to get out before the snow.

Sandy drains well enough that if it's not snowed in I'll ride it, a lot of the other gets real slimey when it's wet and takes a while to dry but there's not as strong of a don't ride in the wet culture out here for most stuff, keep it reasonable and dig but I ride when it's sloppy and don't feel too bad.

Good to know about Sandy. I've thought about going out there a few times since moving but it's been so wet that I a. assume it's going to be muddy and messy (edit: to clarify I mean the so muddy what's the point kind of muddy) and b. don't want to gently caress up the trails. I'n not a super aggressive rider anyways but you never know how people people feel about that.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 11, 2021

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
What's a decent recommendation for people that need glasses? I've been wearing an older pair of glasses when I ride for a while but I a. want something more durable, and b. hate the look.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I wear Tifosi shades. They do RX ones for $200-300 depending on the style. As a former glasses wearer contacts are the way to go until you get lasik.

I guess I should see what (if) my insurance will cover. I only started wearing glasses in the past few years, mostly for driving, but I find they help a ton discerning between poo poo on the ground. I could also not wear them and most likely be fine.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

n8r posted:

If I could get my hands on the optic c2 shimano I’d probably go for it, odds seem very slim.

Same I picked up a Trek Fuel EX in October but if I come across an Optic in store I won't hesitate to buy it and sell the Trek.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Earlier this week at a trailhead I had an older couple ask me about hiking, what trails I normally ride, and how to find them, at a place that is decidedly not meant for hiking. It's off the map and not somewhere you would just stumble upon - it’s on logging company property that a local trail alliance has an agreement with. I told them this and emphasized that the trails are steep and winding, with berms and jumps, and that they really shouldn't hike here. Their response was “well there’s only one car other than yours so we probably won't run into anybody.” I’m all for hiking and getting out on less popular trails… but they didn’t seem to care that these were not hiking trails. I told them that they could get seriously injured if someone comes flying down a dedicated bike trail and isn’t expecting to see hikers and they just brushed it off with a “thanks for the heads up, we’ll just go exploring” and that was that. Thankfully I didn’t see them once I got out but it made it a lot harder to let loose for fear that I’d run into them.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
This video sold me on 1up. They are bombproof.

https://www.facebook.com/1UpUSA/videos/379314995503513/

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Is there an easy way to clean a dropper? I got some mud or something in it the other day and it still works fine, it just makes an annoying scraping sound when it goes up or down.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I want to upgrade the fork on my Fuel ex7 but I'm not really sure where to start. I want something a little burlier and more responsive but am also toying with the idea of upgrading to 150mm. I've currently got a RockShox 35 Gold w/ 140mm.

I was thinking something along the lines of a Lyrik or a Fox 36, but I found good deals on a Marzocchi Bomber and a Fox 34 Factory (but they're both 140mm). Will the upgraded fork make enough of a difference that I won't even care about it not being 150mm? I've been gravitating towards steeper and chunkier trails lately and am planning on getting a park pass for the first time when they open so I definitely want something that will hold up to that.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I'd say go for 150mm. It'll slightly raise the BB but it'll also shorten the reach a little and also slacken the head angle a bit which will be better for steeper and chunkier trails. You could probably go for a Pike instead of a Lyrik at 150mm but any of those - Pike, Lyrik or Fox 36 will be a huge improvement over a Rockshox 35. I don't have any experience with the Bomber but I think going up to 150mm and getting a new, better fork will be a big upgrade.

I did that on my old bike, I went from 150mm to 160mm. Same fork (Pike), but also upgraded the damper from soloair to debonair and it was night and day, highly recommended.

Cool, thanks. I want the Lyrik but the 150 is out of stock on a lot of sites. There's a bunch of sales this weekend (in the US) so I'm kinda going by whatever is available. I've been reading about the Bomber and the Z1 seems pretty comparable to the 36 or Lyrik. Maybe not nearly as stiff or responsive, but still a solid fork. And like you said, anything is going to be a vast improvement over what I've currently got.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Last fork question - how important is it that I match the offset? Thinking 44mm vs 42mm.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I found a Lyrik 150 for the same price as a Bomber so just pulled the trigger on that. Can’t wait for this thing to arrive. I’ve never replaced a fork before but it seems relatively straight forward (based on the single YouTube video I watched).

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

ethanol posted:

What’s a better workout power calculator for trails than Strava?

One hour of moderate slight uphill gravel biking yesterday averaging 12 mph (on my mtb) for around 15 miles = 800 calories. One hour of much harder uphill trail biking today only 300 calories. Presumably all it cares about is speed and distance so today looked easier to the app.

Yeah I know it’s never going to be super realistic and accurate but its not even close if it always uses speed-distance.

The calculators online always bothered me for the same reason so I just bought a heart rate monitor. It’s been nice knowing I can fully justify whatever post ride meal I want i.e. a burger and a beer.

I got my Lyrik installed on Friday and took it out for a ride on Saturday. I was super impressed with how it chewed up everything in front of me. Unfortunately my shock pump broke while I was setting it up so I wasn’t able to dial it in 100% before the ride (it was a little firmer than I wanted). I’m still figuring out HSC and LSC. From what I’ve read it seems that I should have LSC fully compressed on roads/fire roads, fully open (closed?) on tech climbs, and have it somewhere in the middle for downhill stuff? Does that sound right? And HSC should be opened up for any downhill or big hitting features?

I’m not sure if it was the slight change in HTA, the extra travel, or the extra confidence I had but I holy crap do I need to work on my cornering. I had to eject off the bike on one berm and drat near went otb on another.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I can’t speak for having a weird shaped head but the A2 is probably the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I was at Post on Monday - it’s a ton of fun. There’s a ridiculous amount of trails that cover pretty much everything you could want. Sandy Ridge is on the other side of Hood and has good trails too. I wouldn’t go out of my way for it, but if you’re in the area it’s certainly worth a visit.

Seconding Oakridge. I haven’t been but Blackrock is supposed to have some really good freeride/dh. It’s just outside of Salem.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I just upgraded from chesters to the large wah wahs and I really like having the larger platform. It’s easy to get my feet back in a good position without really thinking about it.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
On the flip side, there’s this. Granted he’s an insanely talented rider and pushing this bike way beyond its limits.

https://youtu.be/wkMnk_eCDQU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
That exact thing started happening to my new bike about 6 months after I got it. I thought it was a limit screw adjustment thing but that did nothing. I took it to a shop and they couldn’t figure it out either. I rode with it for a year until August I finally got fed up enough and spent a day watching every derailleur troubleshooting video on YouTube. Turns out I had to adjust the chain gap. A couple turns of an allen key and I haven’t had any issues since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I rode my bike today it was great.