Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve got some Freeriders on the way thanks to some suggestion in this-ish thread. Unduly excited to get them in the woods next week. :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Nocheez posted:

I really enjoyed pumping out 20+ miles in like an hour and a half near Charleston, SC. I just wish I hadn't been bandit riding on a naval base by accident :v:

You’re making me feel like a doughy piece of poo poo because I almost died (not really) of heatstroke on this very trail in my admitted cycling infancy.

In my defense my truck thermo read 99 in the shade of the parking lot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

thatguy posted:

loving 10 inches on the 8th of September come the gently caress on

:quagmire:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I've been toying with grabbing a dropper for my Pine Mountain 1 but there's a Tranzx Jump Seat with no cable routing and 100mm drop that I'm toying with....anyone have experience? I think Salsa uses Tranzx for their OEMs so it seems like they're reliable and substantial yeah?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Suburban Dad posted:

I've had two of them now without issues. It could use a nicer lever but no real complaints otherwise.

Sweet! I may go ahead and order one then. I’ve been wanting to get a dropper but I didn’t really want to drop like 240+ if I didn’t have to and that seems like a reasonable option at 99$.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

After a bit of a hiatus I decided to break myself back into MTB by renting a bike in CO fresh off sea level and let my brother in law take me out for a thrashing.

In spite of the fact that I wasn’t convinced my lungs werent bleeding, I had a loving blast. Didn’t have the legs or the lungs for climbing at elevation so I had some fun uphill hiking mixed in too. :toot:

Those downhill sections tho….

When I returned home my old riding buddy told me he got a new bike so went out and thrashed myself in some dank rear end forests locally.

I sweat a dangerous amount and my rear end is sore, but I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I’ve got a long road to get myself in riding shape though. Pure pain. But good pain.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

spwrozek posted:

Where did he take you? Also welcome back.

Haymaker in Eagle. Gorgeous. Easy for CO but it was loving murder since I’m out of riding shape. Not that I was ever very good and I’m still very much a beginner.

So much fun.

First time on full suspension made my cromo Marin hard tail hurt even worse on our rooted rear end single track here in SC.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’ve been riding an outdated geometry Pine Mountain 1 for the past 4 years and I made the mistake of Looking At Bikes and have looked directly at a Marin El Roy with a slacker CroMo frame, awesome colorway and a nice build. What a serious misstep. :homebrew:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Devil on my shoulder. :allears:

I rode a modern geometry FS giant in Colorado last month with a remote dropper (I put an after market lever dropper on my bike due to weird seat post diameter, which is kind of a pain) and I’ve been jonesin ever since. I don’t need full squish down here but the ride quality was noticeably different w the slacker frame.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

VelociBacon posted:

Wouldn't you rather have a nice FS mountain bike? Not going to yuck people's yums but a hardtail... is it for bikepacking?

Coastal SC. We have more technical stuff within a few hours in the midlands, upstate and Western NC but my closest trails are relatively flat.

If anything FS would be great for the roots but it also feels like overkill and less efficient on flatter parts.

But I’m still very much a beginner so what the gently caress do I know.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fair enough maybe I need to recalibrate my thinking on it. I need to beef up my fitness level in general it’s been murder this summer. But I’m determined to get there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Aphex- posted:

The best part of mountain biking is returning to those trails and smashing them. Progression is a hell of a drug!

I was pretty discouraged by CO climbs loving me up and the most local elevation doing the same. Today I returned to a portion of the trail after working through some videos and changing my approach and managed to knock it out without too much pain (but a lot of sweat and banana spiders :stonk:).

Progress! Found a regular riding buddy too so it’s a lot easier to get motivated and out in the woods.

Also I picked up a 2L hot laps hip bag to replace a backpack that was just a heat sink and it made a HUGE difference.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Semi related but what shorts do you guys recommend? I’ve been kinda winging it with different kinds, but mostly sweating to death.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Suburban Dad posted:

I have some Fox ones my wife bought that I like. They have outlasted all the cheap garbage I've bought on Amazon over several years. I just recently bought a couple pairs of cheap ($15) Gerry hiking shorts from Costco that feel very similar material wise to the fox shorts but have yet to use them. Saw a recommendation for them on Reddit.

I am cheap, can you tell? :v:

I am also a suburban dad and will try the Costco shorts (to match my Kirkland boxer briefs).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’ve got a Cromo Marin Pine Mountain 1 I quite like and the newer models have a more modern geometry.

I’ve also been lusting after the El Roy which is slack as hell and also cromo.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

What is the thread-recommended half size tailgate pad? I was using towels but somehow stilled chipped my paint at the pinch points.

I was looking at a race face halfstack but stock seems low basically everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thanks for the insight on the tailgate pads.

Im considering snagging a rockymount for my bed rail but I need to do some measuring first and cobbling together hardware to make it work.