Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thinking about buying a Trek Roscoe 7 (2023) for my first MTB. I have a cyclocross bike that I've been riding for about ten years but I've lost my appetite for road riding and so I want to push more into the woods. I'll probably never do anything too crazy with it but riding some flowy trails and learning some basic technical skills would be fun. Also my wife and I are about the same height so having two fairly nice bikes that can handle rail trails and gravel and that kind of thing. Is the Roscoe 7 gonna be overkill? I usually err on the side of getting a little bit more than I need rather than going under and then buying something else a short time later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Boogalo posted:

I like my 2020 roscoe 8. Fun rowdy bike, but Trek cheaps in weird places (and they still proudly sell bikes to cops). These days the spec is pretty low to keep the price reasonable. Salsa rangefinder is another option but it comes with suntour fork instead of a judy. Both are still QR rear.

Personally I'd look for something with thru axle rear and make sure it has a real headset and not just caged bearings. For a starter MTB i think ease of finding compatible swappable parts if you want to repair, change or upgrade something is more important than geo. Though most important is probably just what you can actually get locally unless you're ok without easy warranty support.

I'd not go with the Marlin, you will likely quickly become underbiked with it and want something burlier.

A bonus for Trek for me is they seem pretty easy to get in Canada and the Roscoe 7 is on sale right now. A lot of other brands can be harder to track down in Canada.

The Marlin was the other one I was looking at but yeah that takes me back to not wanting to be back bike shopping in two years. $1300 for bike 1 and $2000 for bike 2 is a lot more money than $2000 for bike 1.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I ordered the Roscoe 7 direct from Trek and they're shipping it to a local shop to assemble and for me to pick up. Should I call the shop and get them to do the tubeless set up? Is there anything else I should have them do? Keeping in mind they'll probably charge me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Horizontal Tree posted:

They should not charge you for something that is a part of basic setup of the bike you just bought.

Would that be considered part of it? I'm not buying it from the store, but I guess they have a deal with Trek. The Trek website just says they'll assemble it for me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can I just buy whatever knee pads off Amazon or do I need good ones?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any recommendations for tire pressure on my Roscoe 7? Beginner rider, 145lbs, also using it for some gravel/trail riding and even some short paved rides just because it's my new shiny toy and I can get rides like that in on my lunch break

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Boogalo posted:

The roscoe is 27.5+ so pressures can be pretty low. i'm 250lb and ran around 18-20

2023s are 29" but I completely forgot to ask if the store set it up tubeless or not. It's "tubeless ready."

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

I paid nowhere near that for my hitch and I just installed the 4 bolts myself (Online store is hitchweb, Canadian tho).

There's a lot of different classes and sizes of hitch and you basically need the smallest one so don't get a quote for something insane!

I was about to post asking if I can get a hitch on my GTI, good car taste goon sir

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How hard is swapping pedals? Can I, a guy who's done zero bike maintenance, handle it without loving anything up?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Aphex- posted:

Also if you've got some, put a little bit of grease on the new pedal threads so they don't seize up and become a nightmare to try and get off again.

Any old grease will do?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Another stupid question: I got my bike fitted in the shop and the guy pulled out the protractor and said my leg angle looked good but I've consistently felt like it was just a bit too low. Today I raised it up about a half inch and it feels better. Should I stick with the professional opinion or does "feels better" trump that when we're talking about fairly small adjustments?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

kimbo305 posted:

What crank length are you running? Kind of an extreme thing to test, but a shorter crank might help — at the same saddle height, you’ll get a more obtuse angle at the most cramped part of the stroke.

I'm not sure actually, whatever comes standard with the Roscoe 7. I don't know if I'm at "change my cranks" level yet though.

Speaking of the Roscoe, their marketing department is doing a hell of a job because I'm seeing people riding them all over town constantly. I saw two the other day, one on a ride I was out on a couple weeks ago, and when I went to pick it up from the store there was another guy picking one up at the same time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Quizzlefish posted:

I think it was your post that encouraged me to get one!

Hopefully you like it!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I took my cross bike out the other day and maybe it's just the newness factor but I think I prefer my roscoe even for path and gravel riding. It's not as efficient I guess but for a lunch time ride I find the riding position more comfortable and the brakes are night and day. Might sell the cross bike.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Rode my bike over a bit of trail that I walked over last time! Also had my first almost wipeout going over a root while climbing. Luckily I got a foot down and just kinda leaned into a tree beside me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the best way to take advantage of my dropper post if I'm riding trails that aren't just straight descents? The system that's close to my house has a lot of ups and downs, should I just be dropping the seat for the descending bits and then rising it back up for climbs? Or should I be keeping it down pretty much the whole time?

I will say I feel pretty uncomfortable with the seat down. I think I probably need to work on my riding position in general.

Also thanks for the tips on pedal replacements, loving the pink and teal and these chesters feel way more stable than the pedals the bike came with

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Great stuff, thank you. I hadn't seen that Pinkbike video yet, really good and I'm going to watch the rest of the series.

VelociBacon posted:

In general I think standing over the bike while riding is not something that is super intuitive if you're coming from an entire lifetime of sitting down riding and it does take a little bit of time to internalize.

When I was a kid riding bikes in the neighbourhood we used to stand up pedalling all the time because it looked cool but the positioning was a lot different. I'm definitely in the habit of having my feet at 12 and 6 when I'm standing and cruising. Holding them at 3 and 9 is something I've never done in 30+ years of riding bikes, but I learned why it's important yesterday when I grazed a root with my bottom foot. Luckily it didn't catch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Horizontal Tree posted:

Hope you like doing squats

Nope but I also play hockey so happy for any cross-sport synergy I can get!

jamal posted:

Yeah a lower seat is useful for corners on flat ground, rougher sections of trail, going over some sort of an obstacle like a root or small log etc. Whenever the trail is rougher or you're moving at higher speed and not pedaling you should generally be standing on the pedals and not sitting on the seat.

Anyhow had a nice weekend of mountain bikes

drat! Where is this? Those are great shots

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was sick as hell last week when the weather was beautiful and now I feel great and it's super rainy. I got out for a short gravel ride yesterday at least and got to at least practice riding in the attack and neutral positions. My neighbourhood is hilly so even though it's just pavement I also practiced getting used to riding downhill with some speed with my seat dropped and in attack position.

It's not always easy for me to find time to ride to an actual trail but it's really easy for me to get to some mixed use paths and fields in my neighbourhood where I can at least practice skills. I'm wondering what kind of stuff I should be focusing on. I was thinking learning how to manual would probably be super useful for getting my front wheel on to stuff. Is that a good place to start or is there other stuff that I should be working on when I'm not riding actual trails?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So if I'm hearing the thread right I should be working on drops. Thanks all!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone have any recommendations for a free standing vertical bike rack that'll fit fat MTB tires?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nocheez posted:

How many bikes? I've been happy with my Steadyracks, but you would have to sink a post somewhere if you don't have a wall already.

Two bikes. Was hoping for something freestanding

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've had my Roscoe 7 for a couple months now and I love riding it so much. I suck at the actual mountain biking part of mountain biking and will likely never progress beyond riding green single track stuff because I'm too scared of getting sidelined with an injury. Because of that I was wondering if it would make sense to put thinner tires on it to up its abilities as a do-everything bike at the expense of more technical trail riding. It's got 2.6" tires right now.

I also own a 2013 cyclocross bike but it's got cantilever brakes and drop bars and I'm just really not into it anymore. I took it out for another ride today and I just find it so uncomfortable and now that I've experienced hydraulic disc brakes the brakes feel like garbage. I was thinking about seeing if I could convert that into more of like a flat bar gravel bike to hit that do-everything sweet spot but I feel like maybe the Roscoe is just going to be the better platform for it, but on the other hand I don't want to handicap the Roscoe's ability to be a mountain bike.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

vikingstrike posted:

2.6” tires are pretty wide. You could always move to XC tires in the 2.3-2.4 range and make it roll a bit quicker and still work on trail.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. My usual ride to the trail near my house is a 4km climb on a gravel trail, and often if I'm on my lunch break or whatever I just do the climb and skip the actual mountain biking part. So I was hoping maybe I could go down to 2.2 or 2.3 and have something that's a bit better as a gravel bike while also still being capable on the rocky, rooty type stuff.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Quizzlefish posted:

Maybe a dumb question but do you all drive to the place you are riding every time or do you ride on the roads to get there? I'm in suburban London and have good places nearish but not really enjoying the riding on the roads with cars

I almost always ride the same trail system which is a 4km ride from my front door on a multi-use path. I'm also super new at this and drive a small car so the only way to drive my bike anywhere until I get a hitch installed is to take the tire off and chuck it in my car and get it all dirty. I'm probably going to get a hitch and trailer so I can more easily drive to different trails. The ones near my house aren't particularly great, they're just convenient.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Speaking of glasses what do you guys do about prescriptions? Should I just get a pair of prescription sport sunglasses? I guess the idea would be to get fairly light ones so I can wear them in almost all conditions?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My eyes are sadly/thankfully not bad enough to warrant LASIK but just bad enough that I don't like biking without my prescription. Last time I tried to do contacts they felt like hell even after a few days but I need to give it another whirl because managing glasses in general is a pain in the rear end and MTB is one more situation where it's annoying

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone have recs for pants? Fall is around the corner and I'm hoping to ride until it gets pretty chilly out. Actually recommendations for colder weather gear in general. I think my biggest challenge is going to be keeping my hands warm.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 23, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

Absolutely love my POC pants!! Super comfy, fit well, zippered pockets, stretchy in the right areas, zip up the lower legs so you can wear knee/shinpads without having to pull the pants over them, etc. If they broke I'd likely buy the same ones again.

https://na.pocsports.com/products/resistance-pro-dh-pants

E: I've taken some decently high speed crashes in them and they look brand new, though I did rip the rear end-crotch seam once when my rear wheel caught me.

These look great, thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does it matter which foot is forward in the ready position? My right is my dominant but I'm more comfortable with my left being the leading foot in the ready position. Just want to make sure I'm not building any dumb habits.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

Nope it's preference.

Nice thanks. I didn't want to get used it and then find out it's the mtb equivalent of pushing mongo or something

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Would it be worth getting a couple lessons if I'm in my first season or would it be better to put more reps in first?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I need to buy more safety gear. When I play hockey I put on basically every piece of gear they make but for cycling I just put on a helmet. Partly because half the time I go out I don't decide if I'm gonna do the actual trails or just a little gravel ride until I'm halfway up the hill. I almost went otb yesterday trying to get up on to a ledge that I had no business trying to get up on (it was like 2x curb height and thus 2x taller than anything I've gotten up on before). Might be time to at least get knees and elbows if I'm gonna be doing stupid poo poo.

The black and purple colour scheme on your bike looks very sick.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

Good work OP on the bike and wearing all that stuff.

I never wear elbow protection in any sport and mostly I get the most poo poo about it in Hockey. I haven't had a brutal elbow injury yet!

my elbows would be destroyed if I didn't wear elbow pads to hockey. I used to have little dinky ones and I fell on my elbow once and the pad had moved out of place and it hurt like hell. i guess if you don't mind pain and only want to avoid actual injury then yeah. for me i can have more fun if i'm not worried about falling

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I would argue that MTB is much the same OP. Pads inspire confidence

maybe i should just save some money and wear my hockey equipment on my bike

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I am having a hell of a time getting my front wheel up more than an inch or two, either for manuals, wheelies, getting up on curbs, etc. I'm not trying to be a manual superstar or anything but there are lots of situations where I'm walking my bike because I need to get up and over fairly low obstacles and I can't do it. I went up to a field this morning with the intention of just hurling myself backwards and trying to loop out and my wheel pops like 2 inches off the ground and then slams back down. I'm pretty drat small (barely 5'5") and my bike feels like a bit of a monster to me. I tried just standing over the rear axel and pulling the handlebars up and back but I can barely reach them and with 29" wheels I can also barely stand over the tire. I know it comes down to technique but am I fighting an uphill battle here?

Edit: the bike is a Trek Roscoe 7 size S which according to the size guide is good for 5'1" to 5'5"

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 1, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So follow up to me wondering if my 29er is holding me back from being able to get the front wheel up: no. Tried it on a 26 that's probably at least a size too small for me and I couldn't do it on that either. Just need to practice

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

What if you put your seat up and start standing, crank hard and lean back and sit down on your seat. The issue is kinda always that the person isn't bringing their weight back enough, I know it's annoying to hear but when you finally get it you'll be like OH I had to get my weight back THAT much?

I've been able to get my front wheel up a little bit higher if I add cranking to it, like trying to wheelie instead of manual. But then I panic instantly and stop pedalling :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Suburban Dad posted:

Go practice in a field putting your rear end down and back in an L shape and keep your arms straight. I did this in a parking lot and ended up on my back. :v: Grass is softer.

This is what I did a couple weeks ago when I first asked if my bike is too big. I'll film myself next time and post the results for constructive criticism/mockery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Bought a phone mount but I realized I don't actually know what app I should run. Strava? Trailforks?