Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yikes, the trainer has broken you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

vikingstrike posted:

Yikes, the trainer has broken you.

That and having kids.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's no way I could do just trainer. Riding outside, even once every couple of weeks, is the really enjoyable part. Trainer is just to keep/improve fitness. The days that I do over an hour on the trainer are grueling.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hutzpah posted:

There's no way I could do just trainer. Riding outside, even once every couple of weeks, is the really enjoyable part. Trainer is just to keep/improve fitness. The days that I do over an hour on the trainer are grueling.

Yeah there’s a pretty steep drop off past the hour mark. But if you get really into it you can be like this guy!

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

I have not heard the term "two-way smart trainer" before. I can't think of any app-controlled smart trainers that don't report data back to a recording device. They all have built-in power meters, that's what a magnetic braking unit is...it applies braking power.

There are some cheap wheel on trainers that will report speed to an app but you have to change the resistance yourself, usually with a lever you mount on your handlebars.

Hutzpah posted:

I find Zwift racing really engaging, even the group rides which aren't supposed to be races. Plus indoor training makes my FTP go up way quicker than anything else I've found.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hutzpah posted:

For sure, and I try to ride outside at least once per week, but that's not always possible weather wise, child care wise, etc. Indoor trainers just make it possible to get a better workout done in a given time versus outdoor riding.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
this winter I've been doing 3.5 hrs on zwift at least once a week... it does get better

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Couple of updates: I found that backing off the trainer difficulty makes the rollers actually feel like rollers, rather than trying to ride through sand. I want to keep it as high as possible while avoiding the sand effect, so I'm going to try around 90% difficulty tonight.

I also found why I was getting graphical glitches and an actual crash to desktop. Apparently I edited the the .ini to "set gFoliagePercent=5" and even though my frame rate was still good at a certain point, especially while moving really fast down the Epic KOM or on Makuri Island where there is tons of foliage sprites it would give graphical errors and potentially crash. I reduced it to "set gFoliagePercent=3" and it doesn't happen anymore even when running at the 4K Ultra resolution.

You can also edit the AA and texture filtering settings through the Nvidia control panel as well as use ReShade to add more contrast and adjust the curves and gamma, without issue.

Zwift when you have a child is a life saver. I'm definitely stronger after 5 weeks, and I haven't even been hitting it that often. I think it's pretty fun too. Got two fans now and always a backup sweat rag, and headband, no jersey, some speed metal or cheesy techno sets, lets go.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 9, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/resigns-series-discontinued.html

Despite Zwift just announcing the new jointly-launched Wahoo KICKR CORE Zwift One trainer, this hasn’t been a strong week for Zwift as a company. In fact, it’s arguably been the worst week the company has had in its history, with the largest known layoff event at the company to date, eclipsing last year’s big layoff announcements with over 100 people laid off.

Atop that, Zwift’s co-CEO Kurt Beidler has resigned. He came from Amazon just over a year ago, and was said to be primarily focused on the business and day-to-day operations aspect of it. While co-founder and original CEO Eric Min would largely be focused on the bigger vision of investor relations and external partnerships (e.g., Tour de France, UCI, etc…). With the resignation, Eric will return to being the sole CEO.

And finally, adding injury to insult, Zwift has decided to discontinue the Zwift Hub smart trainers. This includes the just-launched Zwift Hub One with the Zwift Cog & Click. Albeit, the Cog & Click will live-on, being adapted to all Wahoo direct drive trainers made in the last 6 years.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/resigns-series-discontinued.html

Despite Zwift just announcing the new jointly-launched Wahoo KICKR CORE Zwift One trainer, this hasn’t been a strong week for Zwift as a company. In fact, it’s arguably been the worst week the company has had in its history, with the largest known layoff event at the company to date, eclipsing last year’s big layoff announcements with over 100 people laid off.

Atop that, Zwift’s co-CEO Kurt Beidler has resigned. He came from Amazon just over a year ago, and was said to be primarily focused on the business and day-to-day operations aspect of it. While co-founder and original CEO Eric Min would largely be focused on the bigger vision of investor relations and external partnerships (e.g., Tour de France, UCI, etc…). With the resignation, Eric will return to being the sole CEO.

And finally, adding injury to insult, Zwift has decided to discontinue the Zwift Hub smart trainers. This includes the just-launched Zwift Hub One with the Zwift Cog & Click. Albeit, the Cog & Click will live-on, being adapted to all Wahoo direct drive trainers made in the last 6 years.

That’s a bummer. I’ve been enjoying my Zwift Hub but I’m guessing they’re not selling enough to justify having their own product line.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Yeep posted:

There are some cheap wheel on trainers that will report speed to an app but you have to change the resistance yourself, usually with a lever you mount on your handlebars.

I find Zwift racing really engaging, even the group rides which aren't supposed to be races. Plus indoor training makes my FTP go up way quicker than anything else I've found.

These aren't smart trainers and if they report speed, it's just done with a bundled wheel speed sensor.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 10, 2024

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

These aren't smart trainers and if they report speed, it's just done with a bundled wheel speed sensor.

The Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer with their little rev counting Bluetooth broadcasting "pod" can kinda report power. It has a known resistance curve so you can extrapolate from rotations / time aka speed.

But their app is terrible so I don't recommend it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

amenenema posted:

The Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer with their little rev counting Bluetooth broadcasting "pod" can kinda report power. It has a known resistance curve so you can extrapolate from rotations / time aka speed.

But their app is terrible so I don't recommend it.

Yes, in addition to the Kinetic InRide speed sensor (power estimator) there's also products like the Elite Turno, Kura, Turbo Muin B+. The Kura actually has a "real" OTS based power meter like the latest Elite trainers, but it is still not a smart trainer.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

drat I've gone from 200+ lbs to 194 lbs in 5 weeks. Zwift success story.

also less beers

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Came across my first blatant cheater last night. I was doing just a short 11 km TT race in London. Self seeded into C category. I was hard out the gate as I am to do with TTs but the other guy was just disappearing. Tried chasing a little but it didn't make any sense. He beats me by a minute and I look at the ZwiftPower stats later and sure enough he's got his height set to 148 cm and weight set to 48 kg. Average power of only 212 watts. I mean, he shoulda been cheating in "B" category a least with a 4.4 w/kg.

If you take the cheater out of the equation I managed to clinch the win by 7 seconds out of 14 other rides :cool:. I was pretty happy to be able to hit 293 watts over the course for sure though. Numbers getting back to where they used to be.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 23, 2024

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Thanks everyone for your advice a few pages back. I ended up finding a Cyclops Fluid 2 nearby for a decent price and have been enjoying it as much as is possible.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something I could attach a 10" fire tablet to my handle bars with?

honda whisperer posted:

Fair warning if you do like it it'll turn into becoming a cyclist.

I kind of laughed when I read this statement originally. Living in an area with a lot of bikers (Seattle) has, ironically, made me really paranoid about biking on roads. Multiple bike events go right past my neighborhood every year, but I see how the locals pass cyclists and it freaks me out enough to turn me off of road biking. That said, at some point there may be a trail going, literally, through my backyard which would connect with hundreds of miles of trails so that could be fun.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks everyone for your advice a few pages back. I ended up finding a Cyclops Fluid 2 nearby for a decent price and have been enjoying it as much as is possible.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something I could attach a 10" fire tablet to my handle bars with?

I kind of laughed when I read this statement originally. Living in an area with a lot of bikers (Seattle) has, ironically, made me really paranoid about biking on roads. Multiple bike events go right past my neighborhood every year, but I see how the locals pass cyclists and it freaks me out enough to turn me off of road biking. That said, at some point there may be a trail going, literally, through my backyard which would connect with hundreds of miles of trails so that could be fun.

Just get a music stand.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/tacx-handlebar-tablet-holder-accessory.html

dema
Aug 13, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

drat I've gone from 200+ lbs to 194 lbs in 5 weeks. Zwift success story.

also less beers

I've drastically cut back in drinking this year, starting with dry January.

Already at goal weight and haven't lost more than a few lbs. But, I'm absolutely sleeping better and probably recovering better.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm a bit worried about sweating on a tablet if it's directly ahead of you and doing an effort out of the saddle, but it's so standard that it must be a non-issue, especially if you wipe it after a ride. Still keeping mine off to the side a bit though.

Anyways, finally went for a proper effort up it and crushed the sub-hour Alpe :)

Confident that I could knock off a minute or two in my current form, had a bit left in the tank at the end...
Of course I still didn't get the dumb wheels.
Been consistently doing ~12 hour weeks on Zwift this year, very satisfied with that too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

IMO you want to isolate the tablet from any rocking motion on the bike/bars.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Agreed. I bought the desk dcr recommends and it's great.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I set my tablet to not rotate when it feels tilted and it's fine on handlebars.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

I set my tablet to not rotate when it feels tilted and it's fine on handlebars.

Seriously, why mount the tablet to the bike at all? Your body is stabilized under the rocking bike..,your head is even further stabilized. It's just another potential point of failure during a sprint interval. It's just another thing to take off the bike when you want to ride outside.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
upgraded my zwift setup

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

Seriously, why mount the tablet to the bike at all? Your body is stabilized under the rocking bike..,your head is even further stabilized. It's just another potential point of failure during a sprint interval. It's just another thing to take off the bike when you want to ride outside.

I don't take the bike out, really, and I don't have space. Also a flexible arm mount is cheaper than buying a bicycle desk.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't take the bike out, really, and I don't have space. Also a flexible arm mount is cheaper than buying a bicycle desk.

Check the price of music stands.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Check the price of music stands.

The problem is that this puts the tablet off center (something my compulsions cannot tolerate) or it's so far forward you can't interact with it easily.

I ended up with this and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0894N579V?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The base is super heavy so you can set it forward of the front time and then cantilever it back towards you as much as you like.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

amenenema posted:

The problem is that this puts the tablet off center (something my compulsions cannot tolerate) or it's so far forward you can't interact with it easily.

I ended up with this and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0894N579V?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The base is super heavy so you can set it forward of the front time and then cantilever it back towards you as much as you like.

That looks like a really good option. There are also music/tablet stands with more traditional booms as well.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Did the Four Horsemen route on Zwift today finally the Alpe rewarded me with those dang wheels - my fueling strategy of "eat a piece of gummy candy on every hairpin... ok maybe two... and one more for each km" for it left me feeling pretty sick two thirds of the way up the Alpe so I'm especially glad to have been rewarded for my suffering.

Withnail posted:

upgraded my zwift setup

This is nice! Have you got some table/stand just off to the side to control things from a distance too?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I just use a bar stool, which can be re-purposed as a bar stool.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Thanks for the tablet suggestions. A music stand seems like the best option.

I've never ridden anything but flat pedals before. From what I read in the OP of the general biking thread my options are "road" shoes/pedals which basically are worthless for walking in or MTB shoes/pedals which can be used to walk around off the bike. The places I take my bike require some walking so the later seems to be more my style. Any reason some flat/MTB combo pedals and a pair of shoes like these wouldn't work well for trainer usage?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Angryhead posted:

I'm a bit worried about sweating on a tablet if it's directly ahead of you and doing an effort out of the saddle, but it's so standard that it must be a non-issue, especially if you wipe it after a ride. Still keeping mine off to the side a bit though.

Anyways, finally went for a proper effort up it and crushed the sub-hour Alpe :)

Confident that I could knock off a minute or two in my current form, had a bit left in the tank at the end...
Of course I still didn't get the dumb wheels.
Been consistently doing ~12 hour weeks on Zwift this year, very satisfied with that too.

I started Zwifting with a Ipad mini on a Camera tripod. I dont think sweat harmed the Ipad, but I had a huge problem with ghost touches from dripping sweat, trying to mop up sweat from a touch screen at full effort is a pain. I am now on a PC with a 30inch screen and a old phone for the companion app mounted with a quadlock. If you use what you already have it doesn't cost a penny, For very long indoor rides I used a ironing board to hold drinks and snacks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have an iPad on a stand next to me and a 50 something inch TV that I watch YouTube on. Aside from varying terrain I don't find the lovely Zwift graphics holding much interest. I did start with Zwift on the big screen via PC but that changed quickly.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks for the tablet suggestions. A music stand seems like the best option.

I've never ridden anything but flat pedals before. From what I read in the OP of the general biking thread my options are "road" shoes/pedals which basically are worthless for walking in or MTB shoes/pedals which can be used to walk around off the bike. The places I take my bike require some walking so the later seems to be more my style. Any reason some flat/MTB combo pedals and a pair of shoes like these wouldn't work well for trainer usage?

Nope, that’ll work.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I used Zwift sparingly over the last two years but never really enjoyed it. I'd just boot it up but then spend all my time on the bike watching something else on another monitor. Gamifying exercise doesn't really do it for me. Additionally, I'd have to load Zwift and close it like 3 times to even just start because things wouldn't connect properly since I have a regular dumb trainer and speed/cadence/heart rate sensors on my bike.

My dumb rear end finally figured out my Garmin can sync to my speed/cadence sensors on my bike & dumb trainer so I can ditch the Zwift and just keep doing my thing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

First shop group ride of the year. The Zwift works. I came out swinging.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I got the bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Late join B ride 24 minutes in. Cross finish line. Exit. Late join the same ride. Cross finish line again. Exit. Late join...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

Late join B ride 24 minutes in. Cross finish line. Exit. Late join the same ride. Cross finish line again. Exit. Late join...

:hmmyes: