Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bought my wife a Peloton back in February. And surprisingly, I've really enjoyed using it.

Just finished the second power zones program. Seeing good FTP progress.

March 8, 212w
April 7, 229w
May 26, 242w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

I'm a big guy, been cycling on a Peleton for weight loss for about 4 months. I like the idea of doing some gravel riding in the real outdoors at some point but want to be sure I'm physically able to do so first. Can someone give me sort of a frame of reference for what Peleton resistance level would correlate to various inclines for a 275lb man? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm looking for something along the lines of "Hey if you can do 60% resistance for 5 minutes at 70 cadence, you shouldnt have trouble out on a trail with a few moderate inclines"

+1 to don't over think this.

But, if you want to, you would need to use your power numbers. Or at least your FTP. Then there are all sorts of climb calculators that you can plug numbers into.

Haven't done an FTP test yet? Hit up the Discover Your Power Zones program. https://blog.onepeloton.com/power-zone-training/

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FFT0D0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And on the low setting, it's enough for me. Pretty cool in my basement though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Zwift chat. While I'm happy with doing 45 Power Zone Endurance rides on my wife's Peloton, I'm getting some peer pressure to join folks on Zwift.

Can I just toss the Garmin Vector 3 pedals I already own on the Peloton (normal Bike, not Bike+) and use my 9th Gen iPad (2021)? Is that a decent setup? I ordered a holder so I can hang the iPad over the Peloton screen.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeep posted:

That'll get you power readings, but there's no good way to have Zwift automatically control the difficulty of your Peleton. The Shift Smart Trainer was supposed to solve that but doesn't seem to really exist yet.

I gave it a try with my power meter pedals and don't think Zwift is a good fit for me. Just need to build base this winter. Don't need or want the intensity that will come with group rides or virtual races.

Planning on being a real life crit bro next year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There’s a lot of intensity in crits outside too, just a little

Just a little! But those aren't starting until like April.

What I was getting at, was that it would be counter productive to work on that sort of intensity right now. I for sure can't maintain it year around. Focused on building my zone 2 now.

Once it's spring, I'll be out doing group rides and mountain bike rides. Will naturally get plenty of that high intensity work.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got the cheap Tacx rollers. Antares. Really like them. Best $160 I've spent recently.

Bought them for active recovery, skills work and warming up for races. But, I'm able to do tempo intervals on them. Finding that 50x11, 100 cadence is ~250w.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

My wife bought a Peloton right before Covid. I was super skeptical but ended up using it pretty heavily (ie, 5-7x/week) for 3 years. It introduced me to training with power on an indoor bike, which I'd never done before. I ended up taking almost all of my classes with Matt Wilpers, who is pretty big on power-based training. Zero regrets, but I've since moved on to a Kickr Bike/Trainer Road/Zwift which allows me to be more serious with my training.

Yeah, similar deal. Bought my wife a Peloton and ended up using it way more than her. The Power Zone classes are great. And stacking classes, mentally, works really well for me. I'd do a warmup class, PZ class, or two, cooldown and a stretch.

I'd consider a smart trainer and Zwift, or whatever, but I'm able to ride outside year around. Peloton is just supplemental during the winter.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hah. WFH tech bro life. Nice to break up my day with a lunch ride. Or work 7 AM to 3 PM and get out early.

Also, last winter was way more icy than the previous three. Will see how this one shapes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

drat I've gone from 200+ lbs to 194 lbs in 5 weeks. Zwift success story.

also less beers

I've drastically cut back in drinking this year, starting with dry January.

Already at goal weight and haven't lost more than a few lbs. But, I'm absolutely sleeping better and probably recovering better.