Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I want to thank everyone ITT that recommended adding a fan to your training setup - it’s obvious in retrospect, but it makes such a difference in how you feel during and after a ride. I did 60min. of HIIT the other day and felt like I could have kept going another hour, whereas before I would start feeling gassed around the 40min. mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

How much of a pain in the rear end are the direct drive trainers vs. the wheel on trainers? I have a small apartment and a Saris Fluid2 and it’s really easy to both stow the bike and trainer when not in use and pop it together when I want to ride. I imagine that you get a better feel from the direct drive but I can’t leave it set up, and if it’s a lot of extra hassle then I worry that I just won’t ride as often.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Speaking of The Apps, Strava is apparently raising prices by as much as double as the old fees (but they’re not announcing it and just hope that you won’t notice):

https://youtu.be/s3szJ67iM1E

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

That means any outdoor rides I do can be imported and counted towards a scheduled workout and every indoor ride gets to pollute the feed of anyone foolish enough to follow me on Strava.

If blowing up the feeds of other Strava users with every little 20 minute workout I do is wrong, I don’t want to be right

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’ve had my Zwift Hub for 6 months now so I figured now is as good a time as any to give everyone my impressions in case somebody is shopping around for a bargain smart trainer.

For context, I moved from using a Peloton at the office to a dumb trainer during lockdown, and finally bit the bullet on a smart trainer because I was tired of guesstimating how hard I should be working.

Things started out a bit rough - the quick release axle broke at the nut on the 3rd ride that I did. It was tightened properly, but the threads just… unthreaded? I contacted Zwift support and they ultimately got it fixed, but it took a lot of back and forth and lots of photos. They gave me 2 free months of Zwift for my trouble, but the new quick release showed up right before the holidays so I didn’t get a lot of riding in at that point. Otherwise the build quality is pretty good; the base is sturdy and doesn’t move around even during heavy efforts, the resistance mechanism itself is pretty quiet, and it’s easy to get the bike on and off of the trainer.

Connectivity has always been really good for me. I have it paired to an iPad and have never had it drop. I’ve also compared it to the speed and cadence sensors I had from my old trainer and they are pretty close to identical, so I’d say it’s pretty accurate on that front.

I’ve been using the Hub with Zwift and I’ve been really pleased with the experience. I started out doing the workouts and moved on to the group events. I can get a little frustrated in Erg mode when I’m climbing a hill while locked at a low wattage, since it makes me feel like I’m doing even less work, but the Hub is very fast at switching to the correct power. Some of the workouts I’ve done ask for short bursts of high wattage and it gets up to the correct resistance almost instantly. For the last 6 weeks I did the FTP Builder workout plan, and afterwards my ramp test showed a 30W improvement, so at least for an amateur those structured workout plans seem to be a good way to see some gains.

Overall, for $500 bucks I think it’s a really good value. I admittedly don’t have any point of comparison besides the Peloton and my dumb trainer, but I haven’t seen anything that has made me feel like I would have been better off with something like a TacX.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

So does anyone make a chest strap HR monitor that isn’t a loving piece of garbage? I’ve gone through a Garmin and a Polar in the course of a year and it’s so goddamn frustrating to get on the bike and have to fiddle with it to get it to connect, or for it to just up and die for no reason.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve had decent luck with my polar h10. The only downside is that I have to unclip one side when not in use, otherwise the battery drains. What’s the issue with yours?

Well I guess that explains why my Polar H10 is currently not working. Love that these things use the stupid coin batteries instead of being rechargeable like every other piece of electronics released in the last decade

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah it took me a while to figure out that you have to unclip one side. If you don’t, the battery drains super quickly because presumably it’s still connected to your watch/computer/etc.

wooger posted:

You’re washing the straps right?

Also, you can replace the strap on its own, that’s what normally dies first.

I’ve had my Garmin for 3 years with no issues, through a couple of replacement batteries.

Yeah I rinse it after a ride but always connected the monitor to the strap again because it’s easier to track one thing instead of two :downs: I had no clue that it just stayed on instead of going into sleep mode if it, y’know, doesn’t detect a heart rate. I’ll go find one of those stupid coin cell batteries today because of course it doesn’t take the same size as my old one. May go get one of the forearm monitors from REI too and give that a shot. I don’t need pinpoint accuracy, I just like having a general idea of what heart rate zone I’m in.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

wooger posted:

Wait, you’ve not even tried replacing the battery yet? Yes do that.

I’ve never made any effort to disconnect or care for my HRM other than washing the strap about once a week (in the normal sports wash). Battery lasts a year at least anyway.

Oh yeah I figured it probably was the battery but I’ve had it for less than two months, so the battery crapping out that quickly seemed obscene. I didn’t realize that this one in particular just stays on because reasons. The Garmin also gave me fits with the battery after a bit and also wasn’t super keen on staying connected to my Zwift Hub. I never had issues with my cadence and speed sensors so the HR strap being finicky was extra annoying.

I went out and got a Tickr Fit with my REI coupon anyway to see if I like it better. It’s rechargeable, at least.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

At the very least I can’t imagine the ride with a MTB tire will be particularly enjoyable for both rider and anyone in the vicinity

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yea, I figured it'd be like a treadmill, which is far, far from my favorite but I figured I could watch video on a tablet to help reduce the boredom. I guess I'm mostly wondering how miserable the fluid trainer is. It seems like there are a lot of them for sale which doesn't bode well.

It’s not really miserable but it’s not as good as direct drive. I rode a Saris Fluid trainer for 2+ years before upgrading and it got the job done. Running video on a tablet or using something like the Peloton app or the Apple Fitness bike classes to give you something to focus on helps a lot; just raw-dogging an hour on a dumb trainer is not a good time.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Hutzpah posted:

There's no way I could do just trainer. Riding outside, even once every couple of weeks, is the really enjoyable part. Trainer is just to keep/improve fitness. The days that I do over an hour on the trainer are grueling.

Yeah there’s a pretty steep drop off past the hour mark. But if you get really into it you can be like this guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/resigns-series-discontinued.html

Despite Zwift just announcing the new jointly-launched Wahoo KICKR CORE Zwift One trainer, this hasn’t been a strong week for Zwift as a company. In fact, it’s arguably been the worst week the company has had in its history, with the largest known layoff event at the company to date, eclipsing last year’s big layoff announcements with over 100 people laid off.

Atop that, Zwift’s co-CEO Kurt Beidler has resigned. He came from Amazon just over a year ago, and was said to be primarily focused on the business and day-to-day operations aspect of it. While co-founder and original CEO Eric Min would largely be focused on the bigger vision of investor relations and external partnerships (e.g., Tour de France, UCI, etc…). With the resignation, Eric will return to being the sole CEO.

And finally, adding injury to insult, Zwift has decided to discontinue the Zwift Hub smart trainers. This includes the just-launched Zwift Hub One with the Zwift Cog & Click. Albeit, the Cog & Click will live-on, being adapted to all Wahoo direct drive trainers made in the last 6 years.

That’s a bummer. I’ve been enjoying my Zwift Hub but I’m guessing they’re not selling enough to justify having their own product line.