Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm terrified of picking the wrong trainer.

There, that's my problem.

I have a road bike, I would like to get an inexpensive direct drive,and my wife wants a peleton.

In my head, it would be nicer for me to ride my own bike with some simulation (visuals or class would be nice) to keep me engaged. I have some cheap rollers, but I had trouble finding the enthusiasm for it.

Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Thufir posted:

DC Rainmaker’s site https://www.dcrainmaker.com is probably the best repository of trainer info. Also GPlama on youtube.

This is excellent, thank you!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

gohuskies posted:

My girlfriend wants a spin bike for the home. A peloton is too expensive. I have a Concept 2 rower and it's great, so I wanted to get her their bike, but it appears to be sold out until at least end of October pretty much everywhere on the internet. I'd be fine with just getting a Wahoo Kickr Core (if I can find one for sale) and putting an old bike on it, but that might not have the "spin bike" aesthetic to it that I think she wants. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Are you banging my wife?

She's trying to cheap out because she wants a Peleton but doesn't want to pay for it. She's looking at Schwinn's offerings and won't consider getting on the goddamn bike I bought her (that's she's only ridden once).

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I might hold off on picking up a trainer until black Friday. I need, however, an outlet for some cardio when this weather shits the bed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

LRADIKAL posted:

I can get to 181bpm while jogging, but I certainly haven't worked my way up even close to this level on a bike yet. Wow, is that safe? How old are you?

I got up to 217 mountain biking once.

Would
Not
Recommend.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Tacx flux s is en route.

gently caress yeah, boys.

And dumb referral poo poo for app previews or there?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

LRADIKAL posted:

My TacX Flux S came with 30 free days. Zwift itself gives you 7 days trial. I used the 7 day trial, then used the 30 day trial.

Oh yeah, and 30 free days of the Garmin training app which I haven't touched.

https://www.zwift.com/activity/719184513179455264
Did my first race. I'm in D class still, but getting pretty close to hitting the 2.4kw/kg limit, so I thought I'd try to get some W's. However, the people who won in my class were knocking out 3.4kw/kg. How are they still in class D? The community and Zwift support have very fragmented documentation.

Have you had any other trainers? Mine gets here next week. I wonder how it stacks up.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've got a carpeted room but intend on turning my computer desk (oversized Steelcase table with legs) and making a beefy platform for peddlin'

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

LRADIKAL posted:

Along those lines I picked up one of these fork mounting blocks that I'm getting a carpenter friend to mount to some wood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO7GRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent find! Plus, I don't have disk brakes so I can't "accidentally" the levers.

spoof posted:

Hope you've both put a mat down to catch sweat, and anything else coming down. I went a while between cleaning mine and it was pretty nasty, and better it than the flooring.

We bought the house 2 years ago and had a 8 week old puppy. Me sweating balls onto the carpet would probably be doing it a favor.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
First ride in Zwift.

Did a full sprint and nearly threw up in my sink. Man my cardio is hosed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
We still on this OSHA kick?

Just wait to see if he stops posting and assume he died.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
What apps do you guys use on the trainers besides Zwift, Trainerroads, and Strugglefuck or whatever?

I'm checking out Rouvy. Looks like what I'm after. A route to ride, some realistic backgrounds, and some simple analytics.

I did a gentle tour of Foggy Berlin and didn't hate it. There's not a ton of audio (unless I hosed something up), and it doesn't sync via a companion app. Still figuring out how to set it up properly.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Thank you!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

gwrtheyrn posted:

I use golden cheetah because my main thing is running, and I wasn't interested in paying a subscription fee to do basic controls. I doubt it's what you're looking for though

I appreciate the suggestion.

I can't run further than a mile without my papertowel knees fall clean off :(

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Did the stupid zwift mountain climb. Ended the ride.

I wanted a cool down so I did a putter around London or whatever.

Loaded that up too.

Oh, my 650m climbing effort didn't bother uploading to loving Strava but the 40m elevation in a 15 minute London ride did. How about gently caress you zwift/Strava

:comeback:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

mikemelbrooks posted:

you can usually do a manual upload.
Uploading Zwift Activities Manually
If your activity has not automatically uploaded to your Strava account, you can still upload it manually.

From a computer
Navigate to zwift.com/feed and click on Just Me.
Find your missing activity and view the activity page.
Click on the Gear Icon (Activity Settings) and under Fit File download the activity file.
Open this page on the Strava website, click Choose Files and select the FIT file.
From a mobile device (requires iOS10 and cloud storage service like iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive).
Navigate to my.Zwift.com in a mobile browser and log into your Zwift account.
Click the Download link under the activity you'd like to upload.
Follow the prompts to save the file to your preferred cloud-based service (requires cloud service storage such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive).
Open a new browser tab and navigate to https://www.strava.com/upload/select. Tap Choose File, choose the cloud service where you saved the file and select the FIT file.

Slow to reply, but thanks to you both for your effort posts.

I managed to use the fit file tools to sort it out.