Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tylertfb posted:

I just bought myself a birthday "present" of an Eilte Suito trainer and am getting my workout area set up. It's easy to set-up / take down, so my wife will let me use it in our second bedroom that is also her work-from-home office. What kinds of mats / towels / fans are you all using to keep sweat from getting everywhere and stinking up the place?

Get a real trainer mat and not a yoga mat or garage mat. The Wahoo one is probably the nicest and largest.
Any medium sized towel will be fine. Never leave your towel draped over the bars or bike after a workout.
Get a Lasko blower fan or two. The front one should be slightly off to the side blowing at your core. The optional second can be set up to blow on your back to prevent swamp rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Set ERG to about 220-230 and you can do it pretty easy.

This is almost certainly physiologically harder than just turning off the controller altogether and just picking a gear combo / cadence that averages X watts.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

That hasn’t been my experience. The little changes in grade are annoying, especially around the turns. You wind up losing quite a bit of power and then you have to bring the watts back up when the grade comes back in. Feels much easier to just stay at x watts, and you don’t lose time in the corners or have to shift.

I said turn off the controller, so there's no grade changes felt. Also riding at a machine-like precision on variable pitches is suboptimal. You absolutely want to raise your power on steeper portions and dial it back when it gets shallower. ERG doesn't allow this without fumbling around with +/- buttons, but turning your trainer into a "dumb trainer" still allows you to modulate your power.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

compressioncut posted:

Nope, phone BT radio is off and there are no other apps on the second computer aside from Sufferfest (and the laptop is powered off).

I have issues bridging the TICKR FIT through the Zwift Companion app on my iPhone, but it shows up in the Wahoo Fitness app just fine. It also pairs with Zwift on an Apple TV just fine. There is definitely some interplay issue between Zwift and the TICKR FIT specifically. My Polar H10 chest strap just works with everything.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

colonel tom posted:

Started a trial month of TR because I want to actually do some structured training and I must have over-performed on the FTP test because these sweet spot training sessions are killing me. Looking around it seems like HR should be between 65%-75% of max, and I'm definitely above that. Am I just being a baby or should I turn the intensity down for a while?

What specifically, is your power source?

Don’t reference HR training zones based off of HRmax. If you want HR zones that correlate better with power zones, then do a 30min all-out (and I mean it...all-out) effort and take the average of the last 20min. That will be your LTHR.

SST definitely shouldn’t be “killing” you. What percentage of FT are these sweetspot intervals? At 65-75% of max I’d be around 70-88% of FT and that’s way lower than what I consider SST.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 21, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
For sustained efforts between 88-94% of FT, my HR would be between 75-81% of my HRmax and 82-87% of LTHR. Those percentages would be lower with shorter intervals since it takes time for HR to ramp up. It does seem like your FTP test got messed up somehow or your HRmax is a lot higher than you think. You obviously shouldn’t be at 95% of your HRmax for sub-threshold work. In order for me to hit 95% of HRmax I have to be doing 105-110% of FT.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Statutory Ape posted:

Hey friends. I'm an experienced indoor(gym) and outdoor rider alike. Looking to augment the indoor game since the world has ended etc. Any suggestions?

I ride 20k+ miles a year combined. While indoor biking, if im not trying to legit hustle or beat times or something, im usually playing video games, reading, or doing work on the PC. I don't know if any of that is relevant i'm just trying to paint my use case here. Looking around 15 hours a week usage probably. I don't care a ton about classes, but telemetrics might be interesting. My IRL outside riding is beset by constant hills and valleys and is in general a miserable pit of hell. Having enough resistance to simulate this misery would be neat.

I believe i've heard peloton also offers yoga classes, which would be a consideration for me. I'm basically completely quarantined and have been since march soooo. I don't really care about what it costs, its replacing multiple gym memberships etc.

I have zero interest in having my actual bicycles inside my house

Wondering if there is any familiarity with this company/product here: https://echelonfit.com/pages/compare-bikes

E: tbh im probably gonna just grab a peloton since i am lazy :shrug:

20000mi a year? And I thought I rode a lot.

Are you sure you actually ride this much? And if so post a photo of your legs.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 23, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Statutory Ape posted:

im sure and im not showing you my body :)

:thejoke:

Post your feet at least.

If you're going to pay Peloton-money, you may as well get a StagesBike SB20 (or a Wahoo KICKR Bike) and a Zwift subscription.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Idgi, do you think the Peloton is a good choice for the mileage you’re doing?

Apparently the Peloton "plus" bike is actually pretty accurate now according to DCRainmaker, but it still won't play nice with other training apps.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I'll admit to relying on an open window for cooling purposes. Maybe that's why I can't keep up with the stupid zwift academy

Uh yeah, that’s not enough. I use two medium Vornadoes (one pointed at my head, one at my back) and a 18-20” Air Master pointed at my body. If I leave my fans off with an open garage door, I start dripping even at 150W.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I'm a wet mess by minute twenty but I had no idea it could have an effect on heart rate. I just thought it was a comfort thing

Your HR is absolutely tied to hydration and core temperature. If I ride in 90F temperatures outdoors, I lose approximately 15% of my maximal aerobic power compared to 65F

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 16, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cugel the Clever posted:

Couple questions as someone who's vaguely curious about getting a trainer:

1) Anyone know if trainers tend to go on sale for Black Friday? I can definitely hold out if it's likely to save me a couple hundred dollars.
2) Is there any good out-of-the-box option for using a bike to charge up a battery? A quick Google search turns up some DIY articles and pop-sci reports from years ago, but nothing more concrete.

Trainers traditionally go on sale around Black Friday. Sites like REI and Clever Training also put out 20% coupons for members around this time of year. Since the pandemic hit, trainers are in hot demand and continually backordered or in low-stock, so I would not depend on Black Friday deals this time around.

For your second question, do you mean indoors or outdoors? There are dynamo hubs and USB ports/adapters, but they have low amperage. What is the specific use case here?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mexecan posted:

A question about the Zwift training plans. I've been working my way through the 4 week FTP booster plan. This is my first time doing any sort of structured training or using a power meter.

Before starting the plan, I did my first ever 20 min FTP test and have been using that setting for the training plan. My perception is that I should be very challenged with some of the intervals and workouts.

However, looking back at the last few workouts, I find that I am rarely getting above.Z3. The majority of the last few workouts (40/20's for example) are at Z2 (~60%) and Z3 (18-20%). I'm only getting to Z4 2-4% of the time.

Is this appropriate or should I be taking another FTP test to make sure I got it right the first time?

Do a ramp test instead. Rarely does someone new to riding with power really know what they are capable of in a 20min effort. A ramp test will simply force you to ride harder and harder until you fail to hit your marks.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, I see the Wahoo Kickr is out of stock without so much as a waitlist, so I can't imagine they're stocking up explicitly for sales :(

Indoors. I'm just on a mild emergency preparedness kick to ease my election anxiety and am curious about the feasibility of keeping some small electronics charged with the power generated by my bike. I'm in apartment, so a generator is a hard no-go. I imagine just buying a battery backup or two is the more straightforward option and probably sufficient rationed over a few days, but it would still be cool to have something to extend that backup indefinitely.

I honestly don't think you're going to be pedaling your bike indoors to charge your iPhone if civilization is collapsing all around you.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

terre packet posted:

Will an indoor trainer work with my bike?

If so, any recommendations for a trainer for intervals?

Probably not. What is the spacing in the rear? What kind of freehub/freewheel does it use?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

I'm going to be spending a bunch of time in Kansas City this winter and will miss my Bay Area winter riding. I've been storing a bike at the KC office to ride in the evening and on weekends but it's starting to get cold and snowy and f that.

Would I be dumb to buy some rollers to use with TR in my hotel room? I already have power meter pedals. Maybe riding right next to the open window in the middle of winter would help with the lack of fan situation? I guess I could store a bike, rollers and three fans in my KC office in this hypothetical scenario...

The Feedback Sports Omnium (with resistance) is ideal for this.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hell, same. Watched two guys ride off into the distance and snag 35 and 36 minute times.

Looks at dis m'fuc just casually throwing down a 40:40.

e: jk lol sitting at 183bpm avg for 30min. :stare:

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 24, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

This wasn't a sinus rhythm so it's cheating.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
1) Clean the surface of the roller with isopropyl alcohol
2) Clean the tire tread with isopropyl alcochol
3) Inflate the tire to near max rated PSI
4) Turn the knob until the tire won't slip at the wheel speeds / accelerations you can achieve.
5) Use gearing to adjust your efforts.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Nice FTP bump.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Trainer mat is a must.

LRADIKAL posted:

It's my first. Only complaint is that I'm on carpet and my floor might be a little soft besides that. So I think I need to put a plank down or something. If I start doing wobbly standup pushing It pulls the frame out of alignment with the trainer and my gears go crazy.
Works fine otherwise, not that I have anything to compare it to. Boots quickly, only uses a few watts at idle (tested at wall).

Your QR skewers aren't clamped hard enough if this is happening. Get some steel Sunlite or similar skewers for like $8 on Amazon if your Flux S didn't come with a set. Tighten it so that you can barely close the cam with your palm. I can put out ~1200W and the interface between the dropouts and skewers has never been an issue.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
For reference I open my garage doors with 2 medium Vornado fans and a 20" Air Master industrial fan pointed at various parts of my body. Outdoor temps are in the 40F range these days and the garage gets down to 49F while I ride. It's cold for like the first 10 minutes and my hands get cold, but that's about it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I ride with an 11-25t in Zwift, but will probably be forced to go 11-28t or higher if some of these racing leagues start implementing Zwift HQ's stricter race requirements... aka smart trainers at 50% Trainer Difficulty.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

I just did my first ride in zwift with a kickr core. The power I was putting out looked pretty consistent with my normal rides but zwift had me going much faster than usual (~19 mph instead of ~15 irl). Is that normal? Was it just because the first ride is on the flat course?

Also, I didn’t feel much at all different on the 8% grade hill they throw at you. I did an 8% climb irl on saturday and it was much worse!

oh and i put all the fans on like everyone says in here so thanks everyone for always talking about that.

What kind of power were you putting out at 19mph? I find that Zwift presents an optimal environment...no wind, your bike is in immaculate maintenance, you never have to hit the brakes, etc. You’ll go faster solo, but in a big group Zwift’s draft effect is actually weaker than real life. For example I averaged 211W@28.2mph in a wet 4-corner crit in early March last year. There’s now way maintain that speed and power in the middle of a Zwift “blob.”

By default, Zwift sets “Trainer Difficulty” to 50%. This makes an 8% grade feel like 4%, though your speed up that 8% is still determined by power alone, not by what it feels like.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

Average power was 208, weighted average was 232. Maybe the speed makes sense? I never get that fast irl but maybe my routes are too hilly.

208W average at 19mph is pretty unremarkable on a flat course. And if it was a hilly course, your descents had no braking at all.

On a real world 49mi ride with 4000ft of climb, I averaged 198W at 18mph.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shadowhand00 posted:

Should really be talking about W/kg since I believe that's how speed is calculated in Zwift?

Speed is calculated in Zwift more or less like how it's calculated IRL. A 300lb person doing 4w/kg is going to be faster than a 150lb person doing 4w/kg for any terrain, even a hypothetical 50% grade. A 300lb person doing 3w/kg on a flat course like Tempus Fugit will still be faster than a 150lb person doing 4w/kg.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Strumpy posted:

Second ride on my new keiser m3i. Pretty happy so far. Never done cardio tracking watts and similar - how does this look? I managed roughly the same for an hour on my first ride but didn't have it hooked up to analysis tools.

It's very unlikely that the power measurement of your Keiser M3i is accurate...in fact it is probably wildly inaccurate. Distance and speed don't matter for overall fitness tracking, it's a fictitious value based on flywheel speed.

So basically the only stats worth counting here are the time spent and your cadence, which many would consider on the lower side.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 7, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Strumpy posted:

Ahh interesting. I heard the M3i was pretty okay on the wattage. Good to know. Looks like I can use that as a relative measure for my own training, but not an absolute.

That ride I cycled with relatively high resistance so I took another ride this morning where I tried to focus on a high cadence while keeping the power output similar to the previous ride. I was a sweaty mess at the end of the hour but it was fun.

To be honest, I don't know that the M3i is wildly off because I didn't have much luck finding concrete data on Google. I just know that there hasn't been a focus on accuracy in the market until the last few years.

Gotta say I'm shocked at the market price of $2000 though. It's not such a huge leap to the indoor smartbike side of things.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The StagesBike SB20 uses the same frame as their spin bike and is also significantly less expensive than a KICKR Bike. The flywheel alone is 50lbs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The Keiser M3i (92lbs) looks like a toy next to the StagesBike SB20 (138lbs.)

It has an actual strain gauge power meter as well as a secondary OTS in the flywheel. It has a stainless steel frame (vs aluminum,) smart resistance controller, USB charge ports, bottle cages, customizable drivetrain up to 50 gears, customizable shift logic, adjustable crank length, built in phone and tablet holders, etc.

It does cost more than the M3i.

Apparently the M3i also requires a $100 signal converter to work with Zwift over BT, and won’t work over ANT+ for unknown reasons?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 8, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

fubolicious posted:

Anyone using Peloton? or is this is just for bikes on fixed platform? :)

Peloton counts, and ironically in the context of the current sub-thread, they've nailed power accuracy with their "Plus" version indoor bike.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 8, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Wahoo kickr core, 11 speed cassette, and floor mat on the way :homebrew: Do I need anything else aside from an Apple TV hooked up to a spare monitor? Already have three decent fans at my disposal.

Use a waxy surface protectant like Pedro's Bike Lust on your frame. Use Boeshield T-9 on every fastener between your stem and saddle. Use it on your derailleur cage, use it on ferrules and braze-ons.

Get a Halo headband or similar, especially if you have very short hair.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

Saved 13 inches of space. If I hop up and do wheelies and twist the wheel around, it will start to work it's way out from under the forks, but it seems to be stable enough for my purposes.

Jesus.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, I might add a little more support, but you guys, it's safer than actually riding a bike, hope that helps with perspective.

To be a little less flip, the bike is attached to a fixed base on the back, so it can't go forwards or backwards, also, the skewer isn't designed to let the bike rotate on the mount, which adds a nice bit of friction.

You know what's safer? A tire mounted to a wheel, mounted to the fork.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If only some kind of quickly releasing mechanism could be designed to allow swaps between a wheel and a space saving block.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Dude has his front wheel almost entirely in front of the fork dropout in that photo...claims there are space constraints.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

Let him live his life-Jesus gently caress.

“I NEED THE SPACE”

*has 18" air circulator*

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mikemelbrooks posted:

I run a Elite Direto on Zwift and find that I have problems getting into a supertuck. It seems that the trainer is reading the energy stored in the flywheel and I have to wait for it to spin down before it will register I have stopped pedaling. Is this correct?

Nah. Trainers which report cadence do it based on changes in torque. In theory they’d report zero RPM before you even stopped pedaling if the flywheel speed is high enough and your pedaling isn’t actually driving the hub.

There are input lag issues in Zwift with certain power meters and trainers that result in residual power being read. The best solution I’ve found for affected devices is to start coasting, then pedal for one revolution and start coasting again. This helps prevent “sticky watts” from occuring.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 10, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

too low

If the front-end is too low, just wedge something underneath the front tire. There are branded products for this, but like, a block of wood will do. If the rear is too low, then you'll probably have to shove a plywood board underneath the whole thing or something...

Also if the bike is going to be on the trainer all season long, you can just adjust the saddle position.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Time posted:

It only came with one and it was a 1.8mm that said it was the right size to make the 8 speed claris cassettes work

Possibilities:
Limit screw adjustment = least likely because that would only affect one gear combo.
Reindexing needed = maybe
New cassette + old/worn chain = perhaps most likely of all