Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Not sure what the right thread is for this question (if I should post this in the main bike thread please let me know), but I have a stationary bike that I use 5-6 days a week. The bike itself is perfect for my use case, but the seat is uncomfortable and numbing after about 20 minutes. I typically am in the saddle as opposed to above it (the bike is well made but I’m not sure was designed for extensive use coming out of the saddle) and my position is sometimes aggressive but probably more often upright. I *think* I don’t care as much about padding as the compression / numbing, so I’m guessing this will be more about construction and configuration than whether or not the saddle is firm.

Any suggestions on a saddle that might be more comfortable? I realize this may (probably will) involve going to a shop to try a few out, but I’d like to narrow it down a bit, and I don’t know whether I’d be able to test a store saddle out for long enough to be sure about how it is likely to perform. If there are any brand / model suggestions I’d be super grateful, and I’d also be interested to know whether ones with no nose are apt to be better or worse than ones with a nose but pressure relief (which seems to be the more common solution).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I think it all comes down to personal fit. I've read that if you're having butt issues the first thing you should do is triple check your fit, and if that's all good then you need to got to a bike shop to get your sit bones measured, especially if you're doing it as frequently as you say and you're still going numb after 20 minutes.

As far as the nose/no nose goes that's a bit of a triathlon thing since you're in a super low position most of the time you don't really need a nose. It's making its way to more road bikes now though so of you find it more comfortable then go for it.

I don't think brands matter that much. You generally get what you pay for but again, it depends on your personal butt feelings.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Can this stationary bike fit a regular bike saddle, with the two parallel rails?

I highly recommend the specialized power saddle. I have 4 now.

It’s been a few days since I logged on and I just saw your replies. Thanks so much for the feedback! I wound up trying to nose down the saddle a bit, which relieved pressure right away but also made me feel like I was sliding forward the whole time. So I do still need to find a better solution.

I was pretty careful during the setup, and I think the overall fit of the bike and positioning of the seat are good. Probably either the saddle just completely sucks for longer use, or the measurements are off, or both. So, off to the bike store to get measured and get a new saddle.

The bike does have a standard post, and in digging around I saw Specialized mentioned a number of times. I absolutely will check out that model, and I really appreciate the recommendation. Someone else mentioned the Serfas RX line. Not sure how that compares, but I might check those out as well.