Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I run trainerroad on my phone via Bluetooth while Zwifting on the computer via ANT+ and then I look at the analysis on Trainingpeaks and talk about in on Strava. At the end of the year I'll tally it all up on veloviewer.

Edit: sorry I thought this was the bad with money thread.

To stay on topic I did Juneau -1 today, which was 4x 20min intervals broken into 9,2,9min efforts at 88-92% ftp. Only had one fan going in the office while my fiance was on the computer and holy hell sweet spot work is hell if your fan game is not up to par. I currently have 2 20" high velocity tiltable fans but am thinking of getting one of those blowers instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Development posted:

you should try Junction -1! it’s really...character building.

Its weird how Junction -1 was so much harder for me than Spanish Needle +1 or Lion Rock, which I got through without too much issue but man did I want to quit on Junction every 15 seconds.

Blood +3 makes Disaster look like fun.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

Zwift defaults to ERG mode for the FTP test (all training?) I ran the 45 minute FTP test which closely matched a recent standard ride where I had a good 20 minute effort in the middle.

Your equipment might have a surprisingly large variance in detected power, and 8 minutes is a very different test than 20. How does an outdoor test compensate for wind resistance?

Question for the pros: I feel like I'm just now getting strong enough to really push out of the saddle at around 600 watts. What kind of power are you generally pushing while off the seat? Any recommendations on techniques/best times to do so, etc?

Zwift does not use ERG mode during the 20 minute testing portion of the FTP test. If it locked you in to a set power output you'd never be able to make any gains. During the 20 minute test it sets a standard resistance level and keeps it that way (ie does not change resistance with in-game % grade).

I would say you get better results the longer you test, taking 90% of your max 8-min power vs 95% of your max 20min power should give similar results but I would trust the 20 minute test more because ultimately you're trying to estimate 1 hour power. An outdoor test will require a power meter, spf3million said they were using a pedal based power meter. Outdoor testing otherwise will be tough, you can get a basic estimation with a very steep hill as this will minimize wind and aerodynamic effects but at that point you're better off using segment time as a measuring stick for your current ability as opposed to using a hill to estimate power and FTP.

Sprinting indoors feels weird and I generally don't train for sprinting because thats not what I do and I think its needlessly hard on equipment, but I can hit about 1000w indoors and 1200w outdoors. Your aluminum front wheel is probably stiffer than a block of wood so it might allow for more force generation.