Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

brand engager posted:

ERG/target power mode needs like a speed cutoff so i'm not trying to do 200W at 30rpm cadence because I stopped for a second.

INCREASE CADENCE
REDUCE POWER

I'd loving love to zwift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm a runner, but my annual battle with impact-related injury has me considering cross-training on a bike. I have a $300 Diamondback front-suspension mountain bike I picked up a few years ago and I've considered picking up a cheap Saris/Cyclops Fluid trainer. How miserable am I likely to find this experience as someone just looking to hit a specific HR zone for a period of time?

I'm a newbie at this but here's my two cents.

If you're not riding already your butts going to be sore initially. It becomes a non issue with time but I've noticed an hour on the trainer vs an hour outside is way worse about this since you're not moving around or standing as much.

Also I find it way more boring. How do you feel about a treadmill vs outside?

That being said it's ok and I'd rather stick with this than have to build back up from scratch in the spring. Also watching number go up works for me.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm assuming there's two things at play here, the improvement in experience from a direct-drive trainer and the addition of Zwift interactivity. I'd love a direct-drive trainer, but I believe that's a pretty significant investment ($500+?) and that's a lot more than I'm willing to invest in something that I might barely use.

Yea, I figured it'd be like a treadmill, which is far, far from my favorite but I figured I could watch video on a tablet to help reduce the boredom. I guess I'm mostly wondering how miserable the fluid trainer is. It seems like there are a lot of them for sale which doesn't bode well.

If the fluid trainers are cheap start there and you can always upgrade.

Good news is you're not bouncing around so watching something works well. Watching a good show goes a long way.

Fair warning if you do like it it'll turn into becoming a cyclist.