Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Erg is great since my trainer bike is an old bianchi with 3x8 and it really struggles to shift into the small chainring. But it's also shifty when erg mode freaks out and can't drop the resistance for the rest period after some high ftp vo2 max interval and I'm stuck doing 300watts until it decides its done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've been doing most of my riding on my basement trainer since signing up for TrainerRoad in July 2023 and have been improving pretty drastically, but I'm having a hard time seeing the increases in performance transfer 1:1 to my outside riding. Trainerroad has my FTP as 246, but there is no way, short of being chased by a bear, that I could maintain that pace outside for anywhere close to an hour. I can usually hit 220 watts average up a climb, and I've hit 222 watts of average power over a 21 minute local time trial course, but that's as close as I can get. On a recent outdoor ride I was pushing myself hard and could only manage 199 watts of average power over 1:15. I'm progressing on Trainerroad, completing my workouts, and improving my progression levels, but it's just a world of difference.

Admittedly, I do use erg mode on my trainer so I don't think about shifting often. It's basically just pedal, pedal, pedal. My trainer setup is an old 90s Bianchi on a Saris H3 while my outside bike is a modern Giant Defy, but I doubt the geometry/mechanicals would make that much of a difference. Should I just accept that these are two different worlds and stop trying to directly compare the two? It bugs me because I've seen a lot of people post about the opposite: riding inside on the trainer is harder than riding outside.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
TR has been giving me lots of sweet spot work lately, but I haven't done any straight-up 3x20 or 2x30 sweet spot workouts. The sweet spot workouts I'm getting are much shorter intervals (6x6 or 3x12) for my hour workout.

TR has my sweet spot progression as 3.5. A 3x20 workout with 5 minute rests and warm-up/cool-down (Round Bald) would take 1.5 hours and be a 4.6, so it might be kind of challenging.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain how these progression levels and FTP interact with one another. This program definitely throws an excessive amount of numbers at you, but it's been nice to have something that tells me exactly what to do every day, especially when I can't ride outside.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Is your power meter the same between indoor and outdoor? That could be part of it.

Pretty much no one does an hour long FTP test. Getting all-out pacing for an hour right is hard to do even for elite athletes, so the generally agreed upon substitutes are alternatives like the 2x8 minute test or the 1x20 test or the ramp test. None of them are perfect, but there's enough data supporting their use that they've become generally agreed upon substitutes. At the end of the day, as long as your FTP (however you measure it) is going up and you're completing harder workouts, you're improving.

My indoor power meter is on the Saris trainer and my outside power meter is a single-sided 4iiii crank. I calibrate the power meters somewhat frequently but I suppose I could try to but the outdoor bike on the trainer at some point and see if the power meters are reading similarly.

Someone on this forum said something about cycling being the best exercise for nerds and they weren't kidding. Looking at my strava/trainerroad stats tickles the same thing that liked seeing numbers go up when I played MMOs. I recently set up an intervals.icu account for no real reason and... wow... that's a whole new pile of numbers that I have no idea what to do with.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

How are your times changing outside on that climb? Are you getting any quicker?

I am yes. I'm definitely improving, it's just not a 1 to 1 between inside and outside.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Having a good fan goes a long way indoors. Otherwise you just stew in your own heat. I use a little woozoo thing that works for me, but some people use these industrial strength lasko fans

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Failed my first trainer workout in a bit. The columbine workout is threshold over unders with some of the overs 2 minutes at 110% . Feels bad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
There's no way I could do just trainer. Riding outside, even once every couple of weeks, is the really enjoyable part. Trainer is just to keep/improve fitness. The days that I do over an hour on the trainer are grueling.