Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Imagine riding bikes without any of the of bother of fresh air or riding with friends, and paying money for the pleasure, you can even get cheered on by a couple of big fans!

The two big hitters that most people use right now are Zwift and Trainer Road
http://zwift.com/
https://trainerroad.com/

Depending on what you want out of it will depend which one you want to use.

Want to simulate an outdoor ride as best as you can with mediocre workouts and races where people weight dope so badly you’ll never win? Zwift is what you want. Check out https://zwiftpower.com if you decide to do races too, they help weed out some of the more egregious weight dopers and sand baggers.

Want to just suffer and make the number go brrrr but maybe get faster on a bike outside? Trainer Road is what you’re looking for.

What do you need?
There are three main kinds of trainers, what you use will depend on your budget and what you want.

Wheel On Trainer:
This will typically be the cheapest, uses your bike wheel on a spinny thing to spin some sort of resistance thing. Either fluid or magnetic resistance. Also available as smart trainers to simulate hills and such on Zwift, or to just add more resistance for an interval in TR without having to shift.

Direct Drive Trainer:
More expensive than the wheel on trainer, but does the same thing minus the wheel because it is driven directly.

Rollers:
Harder to use than the other two, not great for zwift racing, but pretty nice for intervals. If you’re a big watt boi you might need something with more resistance as this will top out around 300w or so unless you have some fancy model of rollers. You’ll also need a power meter.

A big rear end fan, or multiple big rear end fans
You’re riding inside, you’re not moving, so you need something else to move the air or you’ll just collapse into a big sweaty mess. Vortex fans are pretty popular, but anything will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If anyone was curious about Blood +3

oh baby :popeye:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I use those square foam mats for under the bike and just a regular old towel. I think the consensus on fans is buy a good one. The popular ones I've seen online are the turbine ones that come with a remote and many settings.

for fans buy a good two or three

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve always had weird pairing issues with the tickr fit, it’s fine like 90% of the time but sometimes it was just really annoying. I recently switched to a scoshe rythm and haven’t run into any issues yet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
e.pilot wattlord top tip:
if you plan on doing sustained 375-400w efforts on rollers you will probably break the belt

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

Is this one of the belts you heat-welded? Did it break at the weld?
The real belt got hot and so loose it kept popping off.

The one I welded and actually had enough tension to not stretch and pop off did ultimately break at the weld when I tried to up power to about 450w in the last 0.25mi after putting up with 15 minutes of 375w.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
counterpoint: power pedals and rollers will work if you’re a masochist

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody have any suggestions for roller belts? The headwind on my kreitlers is adding too much resistance and they keep popping off on me. I tried shortening and rewelding a belt and it worked okay for a little bit but it eventually broke.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

I've never had an issue with the official kreitler one.

That’s what I have :smith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
New PR up Alpe today :gary:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Just started a 12 week training plan with zwift.

It's good when your heart rate matches your watts right? 175w at 175bpm :gonk:

Friend me on there and get some sickass ride ons. I’m Wide Body on zwift.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Hell, same. Watched two guys ride off into the distance and snag 35 and 36 minute times.

hell yeah

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I refuse to do a zwift Everest before I do a real Everest

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

unites buzzingly

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:eyepop:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

I hope all you 200+ people are tiny babies because if you're anywhere near 30 and doing that I'm gonna be very mad at your insane hearts

I’m 35 and can hit the upper 190s :colbert:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm selling my Kreitler rollers with a headwind if anyone is interested.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I absolutely would not spend $2k on a spin bike that needs a bodge to work as a smart bike when a Stages SB20 is only $800 more and would be objectively better in every way.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

The Stages is def better value but if you just want something solid as an indoor trainer there's nothing wrong with saving the money, it's not like it's going to be unworkable.

I’d also rather spend half that price and get a nice direct drive smart trainer if given the choice. $2k is just too much for what (relatively little) that spin bike offers.

e: never mind scrolled back through the thread for context, duder already has the bike and isn’t shopping for one

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 8, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Let him live the remainder of his life before that “stand” falls over-Jesus gently caress.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Octopus Magic posted:

I bought a Tacx Neo 2T because I am tired of my loud rear end Fluid 2 setup, and I look forward to it doing typical TACX things like completely making GBS threads the bed within a week.

lol’d

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
***zwifting intensifies***

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Lmao, I’ve gotta ask. You have a million bikes there which you could surely just hook one up to a direct drive trainer and be done with it. So, why the stages? I could see if your wife also uses it maybe, but is it just n+1?

My wife in fact, also uses it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Nope. He's good. There is nothing pushing him forward. Gravity is resolved perpendicular down to the floor. Pedaling produces an opposite effect vertically, it is acting to lift the bike and rotate counter clockwise from our viewpoint.

Of course if he lunges forward, there could be a problem.

Or maybe my analysis is wrong.

Subtle never done a big sprint on a trainer post.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gstu posted:

Right now I am trying to decide whether or not to get a specific trainer wheel/trainer tire. I tend to ride on the trainer more than outside, so it would make sense to not totally wear through my rear tire while the front one stays mostly fine.

I'm having trouble finding a solo rear wheel for cheap. I live outside the US, and the bike shops i've stopped by all make their money on high-end, so they don't seem to have anything spare wheels at a moderate price around.

Is it worth the trouble to get a trainer wheel? Should I just buy a normal tire and not worry about it, assuming it's going to wear through twice as fast and that's ok?

What kind of wheel

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gstu posted:

The current wheel is a ksyirum elite, standard road bike 700x23 cm.

quick release or thru axle? rim or disc brake?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gstu posted:

Rim brake, quick release.

I now realize how non-helpful my info was, thanks for continuing the conversation.

Prime wheels are absolute boat anchors (yes they really weigh 2kg) and not that great of wheels, but that doesn’t really matter on a trainer and they’re stupidly cheap. Pick up a cassette and trainer tire and you’re good to go. I used them for a couple of thousand miles on zwift before I upgraded trainers.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/prime-stagiaire-alloy-wheelset/rp-prod185011?mx01=a&mx02=a

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

Can we get a hell yeah for BeastPussy who went from 237W FT on zPower to 292W FT with a power meter?

:ck5:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Not necessarily if you’ve already got a peloton.

Now if you’re looking at buying one with the express purpose of using it on zwift, then yeah it’s not really worth it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You’d need power meter pedals and you’d have to adjust the resistance knob to change power, so it really wouldn’t be great.

still cheaper than buying a whole new trainer

like I said it really only makes sense if you’ve already got a peloton

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
you can get cheap ($20ish) optical HRMs now

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don’t have to take my jersey off to put an armband sensor on.

Also I don’t know if I have a weird chest or what, but I get far more reliable readings from an optical sensor on my bicep than I ever got from various chest straps over the years. Chest straps always cut out on me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Indoor smart bike supremacy :grin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

n8r posted:

Did you get the stages? What do you think of it?

it’s extremely good

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’d be okay with DMs on Strava if it only worked if you both mutually followed each other. It’d actually be kinda nice to set up and plan rides tbh.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Crumps Brother posted:

Sounds like my water wipe down is perfectly adequate for now. Good to know. In other news, the wife and I have been doing some housework before the baby gets here and I finally had cause to buy a jigsaw. So of course I immediately went on Amazon and bought a sketchy chinese set of massage attachments. Absolute A+ purchase so far. Percussive recovery is great.

:stare:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just here to stan for the stages sb20, it’s real good

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

It takes like 8000CFM to to approximate riding outdoors at 20mph. Everyone should keep that in mind when they try to ride on trainers with just one pedestal fan that is moving 400CFM.

:hmmyes:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Stages SB20, 50lb flywheel owns bones.

Sprinting on it is hilarious, might as well be bolted to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So I bought this DMASUN exercise bike in anticipation of not wanting to bike outside in the winter and since it's on sale. I'm just kinda looking for confirmation that I didn't do something really stupid with my money; item hasn't shipped yet so I can return it if the thing sucks or there's something more cost effective I could get.

That’s not great but you could add power pedals to it for zwift or trainer road or whatever.