Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Started a trial month of TR because I want to actually do some structured training and I must have over-performed on the FTP test because these sweet spot training sessions are killing me. Looking around it seems like HR should be between 65%-75% of max, and I'm definitely above that. Am I just being a baby or should I turn the intensity down for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Sweet Spot can suck. Are you able to complete them? If so, I wouldn’t turn down the intensity. They’ll get easier as you get further into the training plan as you’ll get fitter and understand how to pace them better.

I wouldn’t rely on HR for training since you have power as it can vary day to day based on what you eat, drink, how much you slept, etc.

I'm able to complete them but I find my self really watching the timer count down. Maybe that's normal and how hard they should be.

TobinHatesYou posted:

What specifically, is your power source?

Don’t reference HR training zones based off of HRmax. If you want HR zones that correlate better with power zones, then do a 30min all-out (and I mean it...all-out) effort and take the average of the last 20min. That will be your LTHR.

SST definitely shouldn’t be “killing” you. What percentage of FT are these sweetspot intervals? At 65-75% of max I’d be around 70-88% of FT and that’s way lower than what I consider SST.

I'm using a kickr for power. I don't know what my LTHR is, I'll have to try to figure that out some day. I did a max HR "test" last year with a really hard 20 minute run and it was around 190, and based on where I blow up on fast rides or whatever I think it's pretty close to accurate still.

TR says the intervals are at 88%-94% of FTP and my HR is typically bouncing around 180 near the end of them. I recover pretty well between intervals but it just seems harder than it should be based on some of the things I've read. It's been hot and my fan setup is somewhat lacking so that's not helping either.

Guess I'll just stick with it for now and see how things go.

e: I meant to add that the intervals feel "aerobic", as in I can breathe through them and I never feel like I'm starving for oxygen but I'm right on the edge.

colonel tom fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 21, 2020

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

For sustained efforts between 88-94% of FT, my HR would be between 75-81% of my HRmax and 82-87% of LTHR. Those percentages would be lower with shorter intervals since it takes time for HR to ramp up. It does seem like your FTP test got messed up somehow or your HRmax is a lot higher than you think. You obviously shouldn’t be at 95% of your HRmax for sub-threshold work. In order for me to hit 95% of HRmax I have to be doing 105-110% of FT.

I'm 39 so I can't imagine my HRmax is too much higher than what I think it is. I looked back at a couple workouts and I don't hit 180 until the end of the last couple intervals but even for the first one I'm around 170, which is still too high. I think I'll bump the intensity down a bit for now and re-do the FTP test in the near future to see if I get the same result.

colonel tom fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2020