Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I did a ramp test yesterday with a tower fan on a chair in front of me. Don't think it affected the measurement but I definitely need something more powerful if I'm going to be training indoors more through the winter.

Gonna get zwift too, trainerroad is nice but in the end I'm not interested in hardcore training for racing and it's boring otherwise.

Also my FTP/kg is up to 3 now, nothing amazing but a big improvement over the last couple of years of long term injury when it was less than 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah I'd be hesitant to mess with stuff like cleats too much if things worked fine on the road, you can quickly lose a sense of what felt normal and unless you take pictures/measurements of everything you might lose your old fit.

With my fit sorted then I feel comfortable in either situation, I just have to stand up every so often on the trainer and remember to keep things relaxed since there are fewer distractions and I'm more aware of how everything feels. Indoor cycling does highlight imbalances in my body more since I move around less, I've had to work on those outside cycling though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

I need some fans for my trainer setup, what’s the go to option available in the UK.

https://www.cleva-uk.com/products/vacmaster-air-mover I got one of these off Amazon NL (dunno if its on the UK one), seems good so far. Only 3 orientations (0, 45, 90 degrees) but otherwise it's good with cooling coverage on my chest and head. The max setting is pretty windy, not too loud though, and I was pretty comfortable for an hour an a half on zwift doing quite a hard effort with the room at 20 degrees. Would want a 2nd fan if it was much warmer though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Vando posted:

This is why I'm asking if it's an issue with *what* is being recorded rather than accuracy. If the implementation is recording forces not normally measured then obviously it's still a bad implementation, or at the very least should be mentioned in the documentation.

I think its still accuracy, since the purpose of a power meter is to measure the force you are outputing that is driving you forwards over time (plus any losses in the drive train), anything that causes an error in that is reducing the accuracy of the intended measurement, so deflection that doesn't contribute to that process should be eliminated.

I wonder if it's related to the modifiable crank arm length. Those cranks look wacky

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-trainer-mat / https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-trainer-mat/rp-prod157372

These are pretty cheap (depending on where you're located). Mine has been fine, it's a mat.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
There's quite a few trainer sales here at the moment, would like to replace my KICKR Snap. A Saris H3 for €650 is a better deal than a KICKR Core for €700 right? Looks like it packs up a bit more neatly too

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle posted:

There's quite a few trainer sales here at the moment, would like to replace my KICKR Snap. A Saris H3 for €650 is a better deal than a KICKR Core for €700 right? Looks like it packs up a bit more neatly too

I got the Saris, very happy with it so far. ERG is really solid (the Snap would fluctuate +/- 25W about the target power constantly, now it's a few watts at most) and it packs up really neatly.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

jamal posted:

I got a thermometer and humidity thing that I have on the bench near my trainer. it's pretty impressive how much humidity will go up in a pretty big garage over the course of a hard zwift ride or race. I've started cracking the door and getting some airflow in there if it's not too cold out. And yeah ideally I've got like 3 fans blowing on me and it's only like 40f in there and i have to turn the fans off/put a thermal jersey on to coast down adz or whatever.

Setup my new H3 today. Kind of annoying. App really sucks. Can't tell what you're connected to and oh you're trying to spin down calibrate my watch for some reason? great. Then froze up trying to update software the first time, then it wouldn't do a spindown calibration even after I turned off zwift. So not sure how that's supposed to work. Was nice just being able to do it through zwift with the kickr.

Yeah the app definitely feels more like a development tool than something you'd release publicly.

Did you disconnect the trainer as the power source and controllable device in Zwift before you turned it off? It could've thought it was still being controlled maybe even if zwift was closed.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
What lag do you all normally get between the gradient you see in Zwift and the trainer increasing the resistance? I'm using an ANT+ dongle on the end of a usb cable to connect to the H3 and it seems to be around a second for me. Not so long but enough that it's distracting and makes it hard to estimate how hard to push over small sharp hills.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

SRAM Xplr mostly works with the Saris H3 (once you swap the freehub to an xdr one). The three caveats are that:
1. With the derailleur in the lowest gear the cage contacts or almost contacts the trainer, so I think that's unusable.
2. I had to file down the standard thru axle spacer on the drive side by 1mm. The spacing between the cassette and the edge of the DTSwiss body on my wheels is 4.6mm. On the H3 it was 5.6mm. I reduced it by about 0.8mm or so. Still a bit to go as there's a 4 step difference between the optimal micro adjust point with the wheels on Vs the H3 (versus 15 when I first put it on the trainer).
3. Its still quite noisy with my rival 10-36 cassette, even after optimising the B-gap and using the micro adjust.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I am begging you to clean that drivetrain

Already completely cleaned it all. I took that immediately after I put (too much) wet lube on in the middle of a ride.

Should've taken another picture before posting, no one needed to see that filth.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

-Anders posted:

I went up the Tourmalet on Rouvy a week or two ago. The first real climb I've done, and my legs were shot for days afterwards. 2 hours at 60 rpm and constant pressure on the pedals sure was something new. I enjoyed the experience a lot, so I'll probably be looking to do more climbing going ahead. But, like you, lots of conditioning to do still.
I only bought my road bike in late July, so I'm still getting to grips with it all.

Not sure if you have a smart trainer or if Rouvy has a difficulty setting, but you can use the slider in Zwift like a gearing modifier to effectively give you a smaller front chainring. That way you can avoid the 60rpm bit at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but most of the time I don't even pair the resistance unit in Zwift. For me the immersion from Zwift is from chasing rabbits, not from experiencing rollers or steep climbs. I actually find gradient changes detrimental in Zwift racing. I want to shift on my own terms, not when the resistance unit suddenly starts kicking my rear end or drops out from underneath me.

I hadn't thought of just leaving the resistance disconnected. Does that just give you a linear resistance depending on the gear?