Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

colonel tom posted:

I'm 39 so I can't imagine my HRmax is too much higher than what I think it is. I looked back at a couple workouts and I don't hit 180 until the end of the last couple intervals but even for the first one I'm around 170, which is still too high. I think I'll bump the intensity down a bit for now and re-do the FTP test in the near future to see if I get the same result.

Age doesn't have much to do with an individual's max HR.

That is to say, your max HR will go down as you age, but that idiotic formula about 220-age or whatever is worthless.

There's no way you're getting close to your max HR doing sweetspot. Either your max is higher or your ftp is lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Hi thread I'm a mountain biker who is expecting to go crazy over the winter without being able to ride after work and hoping to maintain or build some fitness through the winter for those days I can get out when weather and light allow.

I have a MTB and a road bike and not sure which I'd use for training, mtb would be nice as it's what I'm used to but I feel like road might be easier to setup as it's QR and most people seem to put road bikes on trainers.

A connected trainer with all the fancy stuff would be cool but I think I'd also be happy to use a HRM and a spinny fan on and just watch TV or whatever while I ride. It's be cool to be able to use both bikes but I don't know how that would work with different axle types, diameters, and hub widths between bikes.

I was thinking of buying used, are there any decent units or terms to search for in particular?

You should get rollers, they are more engaging, and you can use either bike you want (altho your mtb will be buzzy).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

20000mi a year? And I thought I rode a lot.

Are you sure you actually ride this much? And if so post a photo of your legs.

Is this the first time Tobin has asked for a leg pic instead of feet?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

terre packet posted:

Will an indoor trainer work with my bike?

If so, any recommendations for a trainer for intervals?

An older wheel-on trainer may work with your bike, and be cheap.
It won't work with any of the fancy online training platforms, or give you any data, but you can do intervals on them just fine.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Could also add power pedals if you do want that stuff.

I'm not super confident that power pedals will fit those cranks.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for roller belts? The headwind on my kreitlers is adding too much resistance and they keep popping off on me. I tried shortening and rewelding a belt and it worked okay for a little bit but it eventually broke.

I've never had an issue with the official kreitler one.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

I did my post-covid ramp test this morning. 237. That's a far cry away from the 279 I had in February before getting sick in March and September. Gonna be interesting to see what I can build back up to before IWAR in April.

Assuming you're fully recovered, I've always found that I bounce back to where I was much faster than I expect once I get back to structured training.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I haven't been over 210 this year.
I also haven't raced cyclocross this year.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Vando posted:

I hope all you 200+ people are tiny babies because if you're anywhere near 30 and doing that I'm gonna be very mad at your insane hearts

Sorry, 35. Hearts are dumb.
Fortunately there is no evidence that this has any implications positive or negative for cycling performance so it's just a big shrug.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

I sprang for a Kickr a few weeks back, have done the Zwift trial and have now moved on to the 60 days of free Sufferfest. I'm having trouble getting a hang of standing sprints, though—it just doesn't behave like it would in the real world and it throws me off my stride. Any tips and tricks or should I just practice some more?

I'm also vaguely curious about the average resting heart rate for regular cyclists here. Once a year or so at work, someone will bring up their new FitBit and the inevitable comparison of stats will ensue, where everyone (all in the 70-90 BPM range) will look at me like I'm dead or an alien for being ~44 BPM.

The only real tip/trick to standing sprints is building a rocker plate. It just kinda sucks. Most folks have quite a bit lower top end power indoors than outdoors as a result.

40-50bpm is a perfectly normal range for a reasonably fit person.
HR chat is so last decade though. It takes HRV chat to get me excited now.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hope you livestream your zwifting so we can watch you the first time you sprint on that thing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Easiest way to solve this is to buy your wife a nicer bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bear in mind that it's just a mathematical fact that you're going to see a much larger proportion of riders who are going faster than you than the ones going a similar speed. This is doubly true on climbs as the speed differential is much higher.

mods this man is personally attacking me

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

mikemelbrooks posted:

Can I get a recommendation for Bluetooth earphones that can handle Discord I find my current ones battery barely last an hour? annoyingly they start disconnecting when they show 20% charge.

I use the jabra "elite active" ones. They last fine, and have good noise cancelling for my insanely loud trainer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

We got a Peloton because my wife wants to be popular among her peers and family members. It cost more than my real bike. I rode it today an have some questions:

- My Garmin watch connected through ANT+ kept dropping out for heartrate. Is bluetooth going to work better?
- Is there an option to filter out people from the leaderboard who aren't following the instructor? I want to see how I compare against normal people, not douchebags who are powering a small town with their output in the beginner class.

I don't know any of these answers but I think this means you should buy a more expensive real bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

I'm almost 8 weeks into waiting for components to arrive, I think upgrading parts over time is the correct way to spend the most amount of money on a real bike.

hell yeah

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

a chest strap is going to be your most reliable / cheapest option.
It's probably way less inconvenient than you're thinking.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Zisky posted:

I didn't realize you could talk peloton in here, that's what's going in it's place. Hope I'm not a pariah for throwing in the towel.

Please keep using a towel

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you've already got a good sense of the right number for you, then I strongly endorse using "progression 2" described in this protocol:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/the-physiology-of-ftp-and-new-testing-protocols/

It's very satisfying.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

I don't know why foam rolling feels like such a chore but these things are easy as hell.

:same:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's now rebranded after Wahoo bought it

strgglfck

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So I'm not seeing a lot of listings for trainers in general in my area, but there is a listing close by for a Kinetic Rock and Roll and a trainer tire for $400. It's been listed for about a half a year, is that a decent price supposing the guy still has it and there's nothing wrong with it? I'm not really certain what the MSRP is because it seems like Kinetic hates model numbers. I'm thinking about picking it up even though it's a bit more expensive than what I was looking for; worst case I can resell it.

That's not a good price unless it includes the power meter add-on.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

I’m considering purchasing a Wahoo Kickr Core to replace my ancient magnetic wheel-on trainer. I have a few questions to make sure it’s what I’m looking for:

1. I never use my wheel-on trainer because it feels too different from actual riding. But the one I have is a cheapo no-name one from at least a decade ago. Is it worth giving a newer/more expensive wheel-on trainer a shot? I don’t mind going all the way to direct drive wheel-off if that’s necessarily going to be better.

2. I don’t really care about smart features, I just want something that will provide resistance, feel decently like normal riding, and maybe give me wattage/distance info somehow. Do I absolutely need to pay for an app to use this thing or does it have some kind of “dumb” mode? Are there non-smart wheel-off trainers that I should consider? I don’t want to get something that isn’t going to work well if I’m not paying $15/mo for an app.

3. The bike that I would be using on this thing has a Shimano Deore 10-speed 11-42t cassette. Could I install any 10-speed 11-42t cassette on the trainer or are there different kinds/dimensions?

If you want something that will feel more like actual riding, I recommend buying either fenders or rollers.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

rollers are lovely for everything but zwift racing and sustained efforts over 350-400w or so

I know this was your experience but it's not universally true.
Rollers are fine for zwift racing and sustained efforts over 400w for me.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I think you're on the right track - big chainrings for efficiency is at high speed, not hill climb. The two drivers of loss are chain link articulation and cross-chaining. I don't think going big chainring/big cassette is worth it, but sticking with your current ring and going to a bigger cassette could be.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

Just curious when people point out the quietness of different trainers, what fans are you all using? My fans are the loudest thing in the room, way louder than any trainer I've used, so I don't really get who cares how loud the trainer is when I can't hear anything over the fans anyway.

I've got two vornados, and all the trainers I've used prior to the current were louder than the fans.
Ranked by loudness:
Lemond Revolution >> Kickr Snap > Rollers + fan unit > two vornados > Tacx Flux S

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Very few people can keep a trainer from moving during an all-out sprint.
Probably all trackies or weaklings, or, like me, both.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I can’t move my stages but also indoor sprints are the worst. I did my first real road ride in anger today and annihilated my 5 second power for the season.

Hell yeah

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

LRADIKAL posted:

Hm, body weight's a good point. I'm an enormous 80 kilos!

Asking again, what's a power curve?

A power curve is an x-y plot of best power and duration.

It can be for either a specific ride, or for the last year, or all time.

So, at any point x of duration, say, 5 minutes, the corresponding y power is your best average power for 5 minutes for that ride, or for every ride, depending on what the power curve is representing.

When people talk about it, they generally mean either for the last 90 days (if they care about numbers that have any bearing on their current fitness), or all time (if they got fat in the pandemic and don't want to think about how far away from a PR they are).

Many websites will generate a power curve for you. I think Strava does it if you're premium, trainer road does, Xert does, intervals.icu does for freemium, etc.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I can average about 30w higher outdoors.
I attribute this largely to lack of practice indoors, and lack of effective cooling. The latter makes a huge difference.

I don't use any training features on strava so I have no idea if it fucks up the zones.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Woof, solid 45w down on ftp from last year.
Worst part is, I don't think it's wrong. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeep posted:

Doesn't this leave you flailing for the right gear to get your cadence and power every time? I think that would annoy me more on shorter intervals than waiting for the ERG to stabilise.

That'll get you power readings, but there's no good way to have Zwift automatically control the difficulty of your Peleton. The Shift Smart Trainer was supposed to solve that but doesn't seem to really exist yet.

I used rollers with a fan as my indoor trainer for a few years, and the reality is that for structured intervals, and especially on shorter intervals, it's way better than erg mode.
After like 5 minutes you're gonna know what gear combination works for the interval intensity you're doing, and if you're not doing an idiotically complex workout, it's easy to remember what's what.

For folks who need 40 different workout structures that are all the same thing slightly differently because they get bored, yeah, maybe stick with erg mode.