Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

indoor bicycling is physically and mentally hard but it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I believe in you goons! trainer training plans are incredibly hard work both physically and mentally. I used to be pretty casual and went from 2.4w/kg to just over 3w/kg in about 6 months and change. you guys got this!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Crumps Brother posted:

I don't have any Zwifting experience, but TrainerRoad is right up my alley. I throw on a movie and knock out whatever the app tells me to do. It's great for accountability and produces solid results. I'm just doing random whatever workouts right now.
you should try Junction -1! it’s really...character building.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Blood +3 group workout when??

in

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Partycat posted:

I've had some conversations with a few of my cycling friends about their trainers. 1 upgraded from a Computrainer to one of the Wahoo direct drives, another from a cheap roller to a Wahoo Kickr Snap. I've been torn on putting 500$+ into something that I don't know if I'm going to stick with or really use, though I certainly have the time with the roni and winter coming up. Fortunately the third has an original Kinetic Road Machine with the inRide attachment and decided bike trainers weren't for him, so lucky me I was able to pick it up.

I'm looking to at least try Zwift, as I'd had some fun with a few of the video cycles at the gym in years past, and would probably stick with it more doing this than just trying to watch TV for an hour. As i understand it, the inRide is going to give me some reasonable power metric, and I'm going to give it a try before adding more attachments and upgrading.

I will pick up a trainer tire, my current road tires didn't get much love this season again, just didn't feel like I had the time with projects this summer to get out on rides, so I don't want to nullify my tread.

Are add-on sensors, like a speed/cadence combo, or HR strap, going to give me valuable metrics at a casual level? Is there anything else in particular that I should be looking for? The fan seems like a good idea and I have some around to try.

the speed/cadence sensors and an HR strap are all great accessories that will definitely be impactful both indoors and outdoors. the trainer is a good place to practice things like high cadence drills and just working on things like pedaling form.

a powerful fan(s) is an absolute necessity and it might be a good idea to also get a bike trainer sweat net to protect your bike from the massive amount of sweat that you'll be pouring out.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone have an interest in a goon Everest group? Looks like 6x up Ventoux will get it. Thinking before the year is out.

a few of us were thinking of doing a punchy + chill group ride. Hammer up rolling hills, zone 2 between hills.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Tacx flux s is en route.

gently caress yeah, boys.

And dumb referral poo poo for app previews or there?

I can send ya a free month of trainerroad, PM me if you're interested

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I imagine once you actually start doing hard efforts that whatever stability you're getting right now will be gone. I'm using a direct drive trainer and when I'm sprinting hard, the trainer will actually slip forwards a bit and I have to be mindful that I'm not torquing the bars like I would be outside.

What's wrong with using the wheel on?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I have the blower that vikingstrike linked and omg, I need to wear a jacket until I get warmed up. at full blast, I am probably 10 bpm lower with the blower on + vornado vs. just vornado.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

El Laucha posted:

My cats decided to pee on my neo2

It’s the hardest thing I’ve had to clean, I’d rather take apart a notebook than do this again

E: I’m 2 hours in and I think I’m half way there

congrats on your new SB20

Development
Jun 2, 2016

osker posted:

My SB20 is getting delivered on Monday. Will I need a mat under it?

do you want your floor covered in sweat?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't sprint that hard and tilt my bike everywhere. I don't think I've really pushed more than 500 watts for any significant length of time. If you insist on swinging your bike around like that, shouldn't you get one of those tilting platforms?

post your power curve :justpost:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

$300 off SB20 to put it at $2,199 with the code LUCKY300.

it's $2k from the zwift store

https://www.zwift.com/shop/product/stages-sb20-smart-bike

Development
Jun 2, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't have a bad injury burnout folks, it fucks up your power numbers!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Come And See posted:

Bit of a success story here. I went with the Stages SB20 in late November, rode while watching Netflix, before getting set up for Zwift during Christmas. Now I ride 3 - 8 hours per week.
My legs have never been so toned (it's kinda freaky actually), I've worked my way up to 200 FTP and a sustained 1.6 W/kg, completed the Ride California Challenge, and am now waiting for a Garmin Forerunner 745 to go on sale.

Yesterday I scaled the Alpe du Zwift for the first time.

Thank you to everyone here, in particular e.pilot and TobinHatesYou, I couldn't have made it this far without your sage advice!

dude this rules so hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Audax posted:

I'm a fat dad who has been trying to find a way to do something active and not get killed on the road while my toddler sleeps at home. I dug out my old college bike, found a Cyclops trainer for $40 on FB marketplace, and bought the $30 pack of speed/cadence sensors.

I don't even know if I set the drat thing up right, but for $70 it works.
Anyways looking forward to doing minimum 15 minutes/day just to do something while I calorie count.

nice! be sure to get a powerful fan like a lasko blower. you’re gonna heat up even if you do 15 min!