Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of fluid vs magnetic? Like, if most fluid trainers will eventually leak, is there some reason why they still might be preferable to magnetic?

Fluid trainer speed:difficulty/"power" ramp is progressive (like outside w/ wind resistance) vs linear (mag style).

PLEASE DON'T BUY ANY KURT KINETIC "SMART" TRAINER. Their quality control and software are both so so SO BAD. If you have one and it works, I'm not hating but I went through hell to try and get a working one. Customer support is also hit or miss.

The little Bluetooth smart sensor you can mount to any of their old fluid trainers is okay, but still overpriced and finicky to connect. It will broadcast estimated power/cadence with some reliability.

If you want real control spend the extra for something in the $700 range from Tacx, Wahoo, Elite, etc.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Partycat posted:

Is there anything worth an upgrade between now and $700? Using a Kurt kinetic fluid from forever ago with the BT sensor.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

I’m thinking about getting a direct drive trainer - after reading that DCRainmaker article posted a few pages ago and looking at what’s in stock, I’m considering either the Tacx Flux S ($675) or the Elite Sutio T ($680). Leaning towards the latter, as it seems like it might be a little quieter.

Anyone have either of those that can weigh in on them?

Have a Flux S, love it. First one I got (from REI) had a "whump whump" noise that is a known issue. Exchanged for another that's been perfect for over a year.

In terms of noise all I can really hear is the bike's drivetrain, which is new Force22 so pretty quiet itself.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Two things:

1 - I agree totally that Zwift/etc. will help you improve vs just maintain. I spent years at the same FTP between road riding and "dumb trainer" use in the winter. First 12 week ERG-led Zwift training program upped me ~%15 FTW. Turns out structured power-based training works!

2 - If you have a road bike just get a direct drive trainer. Something in the "mid/high-range" that DCRainmaker recommends - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html#mid-high-end-700-975 - I think this is the best bang for your buck. Obviously if you can swing a high end one (or a full indoor bike) then feel free, but these sub-$1k options are very very good.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hella dope, 'grats!!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mordern HAHAHAHAHA

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Things that Peloton needs to address:

- Adjustable reach. My knees hit the bars when pedalling out of the saddle
- Ability to add your own music/playlists. Believe it or not but some folks don't need to hear the same top 40 songs forever
- Coasting. Not only does the flywheel inertia boost your power artificially, but it's a legit injury risk if you're used to being able to stop pedalling occasionally
- User created workouts
- Ability for an ERG mode

There's probably others that would be nice but as-is it's pretty useless for training cycling vs just "getting a workout in. Really though it's amazing reach can't be adjusted. I'm 6'1" and a pretty normal limb proportion/build and I can't ride out of the saddle LOL.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just riding normally like I do on a regular bike. My road bike has a 100mm stem

Re power - well then it's just badly calibrated. 20W higher than normal PM output and definitely feels easier.

I have a smart trainer but use a family member's Peloton when I'm at their place. Unimpressive.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Doing the ~12wk "Build Me Up" Zwift workout plan has added around 10% to my FTP both times I've done it. Highly recommend (with a proceeding FTP test of course).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm a runner, but my annual battle with impact-related injury has me considering cross-training on a bike. I have a $300 Diamondback front-suspension mountain bike I picked up a few years ago and I've considered picking up a cheap Saris/Cyclops Fluid trainer. How miserable am I likely to find this experience as someone just looking to hit a specific HR zone for a period of time?

If you're like me it will spiral into a Zwift addiction on a direct driver smart trainer. And make you question why you run so much.

A buddy on the other hand tried a setup similar to the one you pose and was a firm "no thanks" after one go.

So I guess, "it depends"

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm assuming there's two things at play here, the improvement in experience from a direct-drive trainer and the addition of Zwift interactivity. I'd love a direct-drive trainer, but I believe that's a pretty significant investment ($500+?) and that's a lot more than I'm willing to invest in something that I might barely use.

What I was saying is that I started w a fluid wheel-on trainer watching Sufferfest videos. Which over the course of a few years resulted in a much better setup. In other words, give it a shot with what you've got and I bet you'll know soon if it's for you.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

These aren't smart trainers and if they report speed, it's just done with a bundled wheel speed sensor.

The Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer with their little rev counting Bluetooth broadcasting "pod" can kinda report power. It has a known resistance curve so you can extrapolate from rotations / time aka speed.

But their app is terrible so I don't recommend it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something I could attach a 10" fire tablet to my handle bars with?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/tacx-handlebar-tablet-holder-accessory.html

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Check the price of music stands.

The problem is that this puts the tablet off center (something my compulsions cannot tolerate) or it's so far forward you can't interact with it easily.

I ended up with this and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0894N579V?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The base is super heavy so you can set it forward of the front time and then cantilever it back towards you as much as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

I got the bike.

Yes!!!