Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm a runner, but my annual battle with impact-related injury has me considering cross-training on a bike. I have a $300 Diamondback front-suspension mountain bike I picked up a few years ago and I've considered picking up a cheap Saris/Cyclops Fluid trainer. How miserable am I likely to find this experience as someone just looking to hit a specific HR zone for a period of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks everyone for the responses.

amenenema posted:

If you're like me it will spiral into a Zwift addiction on a direct driver smart trainer. And make you question why you run so much.

A buddy on the other hand tried a setup similar to the one you pose and was a firm "no thanks" after one go.

So I guess, "it depends"

I'm assuming there's two things at play here, the improvement in experience from a direct-drive trainer and the addition of Zwift interactivity. I'd love a direct-drive trainer, but I believe that's a pretty significant investment ($500+?) and that's a lot more than I'm willing to invest in something that I might barely use.

honda whisperer posted:

Also I find it way more boring. How do you feel about a treadmill vs outside?

That being said it's ok and I'd rather stick with this than have to build back up from scratch in the spring. Also watching number go up works for me.

Yea, I figured it'd be like a treadmill, which is far, far from my favorite but I figured I could watch video on a tablet to help reduce the boredom. I guess I'm mostly wondering how miserable the fluid trainer is. It seems like there are a lot of them for sale which doesn't bode well.

Freaquency posted:

At the very least I can’t imagine the ride with a MTB tire will be particularly enjoyable for both rider and anyone in the vicinity

This "mountain bike" did come with pretty smooth tires, so I can always swap those on. In retrospect I wish I'd just bought a gravel bike since the roughest thing I ever ride is logging roads, but I didn't know those existed years ago when I picked this thing up.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks everyone for your advice a few pages back. I ended up finding a Cyclops Fluid 2 nearby for a decent price and have been enjoying it as much as is possible.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something I could attach a 10" fire tablet to my handle bars with?

honda whisperer posted:

Fair warning if you do like it it'll turn into becoming a cyclist.

I kind of laughed when I read this statement originally. Living in an area with a lot of bikers (Seattle) has, ironically, made me really paranoid about biking on roads. Multiple bike events go right past my neighborhood every year, but I see how the locals pass cyclists and it freaks me out enough to turn me off of road biking. That said, at some point there may be a trail going, literally, through my backyard which would connect with hundreds of miles of trails so that could be fun.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks for the tablet suggestions. A music stand seems like the best option.

I've never ridden anything but flat pedals before. From what I read in the OP of the general biking thread my options are "road" shoes/pedals which basically are worthless for walking in or MTB shoes/pedals which can be used to walk around off the bike. The places I take my bike require some walking so the later seems to be more my style. Any reason some flat/MTB combo pedals and a pair of shoes like these wouldn't work well for trainer usage?