Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Maybe I do actually want e-connectivity stuff. I understand there's some adapters that let you turn your dumb trainer into a pseudos-smart trainer; are they worth hassling with? I don't see how they can figure out wattage without having some way to measure load but maybe they're more clever than I am.

I use the kinetic rock and roll trainer (bike sways left and right) with the extra flywheel and their $50 inride sensor which connects to zwift on an old ipad. I ride with a power meter all the time outside and I find for the most part the power curve is relatively accurate. You just can't immediately spin up to 800 watts, but you can stop pedaling and still be 'pedaling' :).

This setup has a nice feel and is definitely cheaper than going full smart trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the tacx neo 2t since it's on sale for $900 at several places. I've never had a smart trainer and still using a kinetic rock and roller with an old quarq.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
upgraded my zwift setup

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I just use a bar stool, which can be re-purposed as a bar stool.