Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
After 2 years of freeriding on Zwift I've started trying some of the workouts, but I'm having real trouble holding the power inside the band on the recovery intervals. Either my cadence is too low or I'm reliably 50w over. It's an Elite Direto so a decent, if a little old, wheel off trainer. And I don't have any issues staying at 195w outside of ERG mode. Is it a gearing issue? I think I read that I should use the big ring at the front and something somewhere in the middle at the back for ERG training and not shift up or down when the power target changes? Is that still correct? It's just the lower power intervals I have trouble with, proper efforts are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I tend to do workouts with erg mode off. There is an option for that. I have found that all of the constant micro-adjusts that take place during erg mode just mess me up.

Doesn't this leave you flailing for the right gear to get your cadence and power every time? I think that would annoy me more on shorter intervals than waiting for the ERG to stabilise.

dema posted:

Zwift chat. While I'm happy with doing 45 Power Zone Endurance rides on my wife's Peloton, I'm getting some peer pressure to join folks on Zwift.

Can I just toss the Garmin Vector 3 pedals I already own on the Peloton (normal Bike, not Bike+) and use my 9th Gen iPad (2021)? Is that a decent setup? I ordered a holder so I can hang the iPad over the Peloton screen.

That'll get you power readings, but there's no good way to have Zwift automatically control the difficulty of your Peleton. The Shift Smart Trainer was supposed to solve that but doesn't seem to really exist yet.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Do pitch changes outdoors leave you flailing for the right gear/cadence/power?

You get familiar with the resistance unit of your trainer (or outdoor terrain), the gearing you have, etc.

No, but Zwift workouts ask me to hold an arbitrary % of my FTP at an arbitrary cadence which doesn't necessarily line up with what I'd be doing on any real terrain.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
If you're interested in Zwift finding a "two way smart" trainer is more important than whether it's direct drive, wheel on, magnetic or fluid. That's the magic phrase which means the app can control the trainer's resistance and the trainer can report back how hard you're working. I hate running on a treadmill and just about tolerate it with Zwift on days when it's the only way I can get a run in but I find Zwift cycling really engaging. A lot of that is because of the direct feedback you get from driving the game with your legs rather than having to set the pace/elevation manually as you do on a treadmill.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

I have not heard the term "two-way smart trainer" before. I can't think of any app-controlled smart trainers that don't report data back to a recording device. They all have built-in power meters, that's what a magnetic braking unit is...it applies braking power.

There are some cheap wheel on trainers that will report speed to an app but you have to change the resistance yourself, usually with a lever you mount on your handlebars.

Hutzpah posted:

There's no way I could do just trainer. Riding outside, even once every couple of weeks, is the really enjoyable part. Trainer is just to keep/improve fitness. The days that I do over an hour on the trainer are grueling.

I find Zwift racing really engaging, even the group rides which aren't supposed to be races. Plus indoor training makes my FTP go up way quicker than anything else I've found.