Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I bought a Diamondback 1260Sc from Amazon. Delivered in less than a week. Set it up in about an hour. Very solid bike. It hooked up to Zwift on my iPad easily (and Zwift is using my Apple Watch as a HR monitor through the app on my phone). My only complaint is that the tablet holder doesn't do anything to prevent the iPad from sliding left or right. Its not a big deal when riding (it doesn't really move) but I'm scared of accidentally knocking it out. I might get some tacky adhesive to avoid any accidents.

Anyway, I'm a total noob. I'm just doing 30 min free rides right now to start. Any advice for total beginners going for general fitness / weight loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

kimbo305 posted:

How did you set up the bike to fit you?

I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to adjust to fit me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Simple advice:

Don't injure yourself

This is the most important one.

You can hurt yourself several ways, but the easiest by far is pushing on when your body is telling you to stop. If you're in pain - and it's not just the pain of tired legs - then something is wrong and there will probably be a way to fix it (google/ask here for advice).

Don't bite off more than you can chew

Don't start up on a training load that is unsustainable. Not only are you more likely to injure yourself, but you'll also burn out mentally. Just chill out to start with and build up gradually.

...but challenge yourself a couple of times a week

Whether that's going for a longer one or some hard intervals depends entirely on what you find fun. A good session to do to challenge yourself initially is a ramp test (which you'll find under FTP tests in Zwift), which will give you a power reading to calibrate other sessions around. It'll also be a measurable thing to track your progress - weight loss is the kind of thing it's best to let happen passively (it's affected by loads of things, including the weather, hormones, etc), but measuring your FTP gives you a simple thing to look at and go "hell yeah I'm getting fitter and stronger". A lot of people also enjoy Zwift racing, but that's something to think about further down the line.

Thanks, I'm going to look into the FTP stuff. I saw a beginner training/workout thing for FTP in Zwift. I'm going to start there.

This is only Day 2 but no injuries so far. I'm feeling the burn in my legs but it feels good.