Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I bought a used road bike a couple years back and the guy tossed in a basic TacX Wheel On trainer as a part of the deal. I didn't think I'd need/use it much, but I'm so glad I have it. It's easy to ride when the weather is bad, it feels like my bike so if I have a weekend ride coming up it's a great warmup to be able to ride indoors every day. I also live somewhere terribly hot and humid, so for the summer months it's a nice option to have.

Definitely doesn't include the built-in motivation you get with the programs, but if you want a quick, cheap option that keeps the same physical setup as the bike you already like to ride, it's a great way to go.

And I have mine set up near the wall, so when I'm done I just flip the bike up and then it's vertically stored and out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Right now I am trying to decide whether or not to get a specific trainer wheel/trainer tire. I tend to ride on the trainer more than outside, so it would make sense to not totally wear through my rear tire while the front one stays mostly fine.

I'm having trouble finding a solo rear wheel for cheap. I live outside the US, and the bike shops i've stopped by all make their money on high-end, so they don't seem to have anything spare wheels at a moderate price around.

Is it worth the trouble to get a trainer wheel? Should I just buy a normal tire and not worry about it, assuming it's going to wear through twice as fast and that's ok?

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

e.pilot posted:

What kind of wheel

The current wheel is a ksyirum elite, standard road bike 700x23 cm.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

e.pilot posted:

quick release or thru axle? rim or disc brake?

Rim brake, quick release.

I now realize how non-helpful my info was, thanks for continuing the conversation.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I have a tacX non-electronic in any way trainer, and I'm looking for recommendations for getting a computer mounted on my bike to track distance and cadence on rides. Any have suggestions for what's not going to break the bank, or the minimum of what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I ended up with a old tacx dumb trainer tossed in for cheap when I bought my bike. The #1 thing that has drastically changed my workout is buying the wahoo cadence and speed sensors for it. I still sit and watch a movie or TV show and not to the rigorous training apps or group rides or anything, but the ability to say "ok, I'll keep going until I hit 10km" or "lets see if I can get up to 15k before the episode ends" or just aiming for average speeds makes my workouts way, way better.

Also, switching back to the bike from the trainer always makes me feel really fast. Just the fact that the trainer keeps the consistent resistance up the whole time makes you realize how much energy you conserve once you actually get moving on the bike compared to speeding up.