Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Man, I've really tried getting back into Ark since my DLC mysteriously disappeared. I'm trying the windows version. Any idea why the windows install on steam is like 100gig larger than it was on native linux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

queeb posted:

this is fun but i feel totally lost hitting level 80 immediately. i might play around single player with slower exp gain to figure out how to play

I have way too much time spent in the game and feel the same way, the high multipliers completely throw off my normal play habits and leaves me a little lost as well.
I built a little shack near the highlands for early easy access to mutton but I gathered nearly 1100 of it from one sheep with a normal metal pick so I may end up moving because I'll never use more than that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Some info on Genesis 2 and some dino TLC updates amongst other info.

https://youtu.be/ultLoLGor0U

Not sure how I feel about the change to the Basil. Will need more info on it since it's one of my primary sea dinos now along with my Sarco.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I really like the resource settings but yes it was a little jarring at first to think “hm I should take a Doed for stone” then trip on a rock and accidentally mine 1000 stone.

Took a few minutes to sorta recalibrate my resource value system.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RadioPassive posted:

I really like the resource settings but yes it was a little jarring at first to think “hm I should take a Doed for stone” then trip on a rock and accidentally mine 1000 stone.

Took a few minutes to sorta recalibrate my resource value system.

I've found x3 to be a decent amount. You stil get large quantities of stone and other materials without it feeling like it's TOO much. For XP I set it to x4 on everything so that it doesn't feel like you level up to 80 by just making a thatch shanty hut. Taming speed I also set to x4 so that it's not instant which just removes any and all challenge of taming.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I like this 8x or whatever it is. I’ve played enough grind, boosting to ~metal tech is real nice.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

queeb posted:

this is fun but i feel totally lost hitting level 80 immediately. i might play around single player with slower exp gain to figure out how to play

if you want a private server to play on thats vanilla + has a few progression changes (more engram points per level, 3x not 8x progression, faster day/night cycle, higher level dinos) I'm happy to post "our" server in here as well, also on Ragnarok.

I've only been playing for a few months and this new server is even a tad overwhelming for me with all of the spawn changes

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

I like this 8x or whatever it is. I’ve played enough grind, boosting to ~metal tech is real nice.

The multiplier I think is fine, but harvest health appears to be set too high, making resources give out way too much per node. I'll tone it down a bit and see how it feels. That being said, there is a lot of grind in ark even with boosted rates, and ideally I don't want it to take 80 hours of play to reach Tek tier. I want people to build impressive bases and actually play with end game stuff.

charity rereg posted:

if you want a private server to play on thats vanilla + has a few progression changes (more engram points per level, 3x not 8x progression, faster day/night cycle, higher level dinos) I'm happy to post "our" server in here as well, also on Ragnarok.

I've only been playing for a few months and this new server is even a tad overwhelming for me with all of the spawn changes

Go for it! I'll add the server details to the second post.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Man, I've really tried getting back into Ark since my DLC mysteriously disappeared. I'm trying the windows version. Any idea why the windows install on steam is like 100gig larger than it was on native linux?

I believe to facilitate faster steam updates since steam still doesn't know what differential patching is. It's loving gigantic at 220ish gigs.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

nightwisher posted:

The multiplier I think is fine, but harvest health appears to be set too high, making resources give out way too much per node. I'll tone it down a bit and see how it feels. That being said, there is a lot of grind in ark even with boosted rates, and ideally I don't want it to take 80 hours of play to reach Tek tier. I want people to build impressive bases and actually play with end game stuff.

Go for it! I'll add the server details to the second post.

steam://connect/66.23.207.13:27115 is ours, its a ArkGamingServer hosted 8 or 10 slot pub on Ragnarok. It's 3x boosted, shorter day night, slightly faster tames (it may still be too slow tbh), and not many other changes. if its not working right now it may need an update, ive been out of town for a few weeks.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
:siren: Heads up! Some map features are being added: :siren:

There are now 3 locations on the map that spawn small amounts of element dust ore, polymer plants, black/white pearls and oily rock. In addition, they also spawn extremely nasty untameable creatures, including alpha creatures. Located at 68,54 34,36 and 24,63.

There are now roughly 15 gas veins, 12 additional water veins, 5 large patches of blue/green/red gems and 10 mini obelisk terminals scattered about the world. There is also a city terminal located just outside each of the obelisk's platform area.

There are several hidden spawn zones for exotic creatures like Crystal Wyverns, Ice Golems etc.

There are a handful of global spawns for certain creatures with higher levels than the maximum default.

More features coming soon!

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm really enjoying Kraken's Better Dinos. I tamed some piranhas, and they get a +8 pack bonus. It's great! The gigantopithecus hits hard as hell, even with a lovely sword. I'm working on breeding an army of them right now. Their exploding barrels are hilarious.

Someone made some Game.ini changes that allow you to make alphas drop saddles from the mod. They mostly drop chibis, but they also drop a saddle every now and then. Note that it doesn't work through ARK Server Manager, but you can paste right into your Game.ini file and it'll work. https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1565015734/2281582783357683849/

There's also a great guide to Dino Storage v2 here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1822824970

You can enable automation, so dinos in the terminals generate their resources passively. It even worked with Kraken's Better Dinos. My eurypterids give me silica pearls and black pearls.

Now I'm trying to see if there's a better beacons equivalent for alphas. It'd be nice if they were capable of dropping all gear.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Someone made some Game.ini changes that allow you to make alphas drop saddles from the mod. They mostly drop chibis, but they also drop a saddle every now and then. Note that it doesn't work through ARK Server Manager, but you can paste right into your Game.ini file and it'll work. https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1565015734/2281582783357683849/

There's also a great guide to Dino Storage v2 here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1822824970

Thanks for linking these, I'd been looking for a quick and easy way to spice up alphas for awhile now and completely missed this as an option. I'll put the guide link in the OP, I've barely used the mod myself so the guide is really helpful.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a mod that lets you alter creature size while ingame? I'd love to make some big-rear end versions of alphas.

As for server news, I'm probably going to up the newbie protection time to 5 days and re-apply it to everyone who's joined thus far, hopefully that's enough time for the more casual players to establish themselves. Reapers spawning in viking bay has been fixed, they only spawn in one very specific part of the map now, and only a few maximum. A mini version of the Dodorex has been added, but does not spawn naturally. Also, deathrat, I'm installing a suicide pill mod shortly, normally s+ gives an engram for it but looks like super structures doesn't.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 30, 2020

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

nightwisher posted:

Thanks for linking these, I'd been looking for a quick and easy way to spice up alphas for awhile now and completely missed this as an option. I'll put the guide link in the OP, I've barely used the mod myself so the guide is really helpful.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a mod that lets you alter creature size while ingame? I'd love to make some big-rear end versions of alphas.

As for server news, I'm probably going to up the newbie protection time to 5 days and re-apply it to everyone who's joined thus far, hopefully that's enough time for the more casual players to establish themselves. Reapers spawning in viking bay has been fixed, they only spawn in one very specific part of the map now, and only a few maximum. A mini version of the Dodorex has been added, but does not spawn naturally. Also, deathrat, I'm installing a suicide pill mod shortly, normally s+ gives an engram for it but looks like super structures doesn't.

Glad that was helpful!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a system to distribute bullets to S+ turrets? The mods I found on the workshop seemed to have issues. Should I just load the turrets ahead of time? It'd be nice if they just pulled ammo as needed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Glad that was helpful!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a system to distribute bullets to S+ turrets? The mods I found on the workshop seemed to have issues. Should I just load the turrets ahead of time? It'd be nice if they just pulled ammo as needed.

Automating I don't know, but S+ should have an advanced transfer tool. As I recall, you select the source type, items, and destination type, with some optional filters like source name and the amount of item you want transferred.

With multiple destinations of the same type (say, 3 vaults), without specifying a vault by name it will divide the pull between the three. So with turrets, you can figure out how many bullets for each turret, multiply by the number of turrets, and set up a transfer of that number of bullets. It's not smart enough to go "don't transfer any if more than X in destination" or anything like that, but it's something.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Automating I don't know, but S+ should have an advanced transfer tool. As I recall, you select the source type, items, and destination type, with some optional filters like source name and the amount of item you want transferred.

With multiple destinations of the same type (say, 3 vaults), without specifying a vault by name it will divide the pull between the three. So with turrets, you can figure out how many bullets for each turret, multiply by the number of turrets, and set up a transfer of that number of bullets. It's not smart enough to go "don't transfer any if more than X in destination" or anything like that, but it's something.

Cool, thanks. I'll try that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So how is this now for solo play?

I'm itching for a survival game but I tend to play them for like 1 hour a week at most. It's either going to be this, Conan or Grounded.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My friends are setting up an ARK server. Most of them are on Steam, but a couple of us only have the game from when it was free on EGS (and aren't super into survival/crafting games, so we're a little leery of paying $60). I've read in a few different places that that makes setting up mods tricky. Are there any workarounds for modding the EGS version, or are we stuck playing vanilla until it goes on sale?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thoom posted:

My friends are setting up an ARK server. Most of them are on Steam, but a couple of us only have the game from when it was free on EGS (and aren't super into survival/crafting games, so we're a little leery of paying $60). I've read in a few different places that that makes setting up mods tricky. Are there any workarounds for modding the EGS version, or are we stuck playing vanilla until it goes on sale?

it was just on sale :(

EGS is going to have mods but we don't know when. No workaround as of now.

Inzombiac posted:

So how is this now for solo play?

I'm itching for a survival game but I tend to play them for like 1 hour a week at most. It's either going to be this, Conan or Grounded.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

bus hustler posted:

EGS is going to have mods but we don't know when. No workaround as of now.
Been a while since I used these, but what about common workarounds like https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/ or https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOriginalSin/comments/73y9g4/how_to_download_steam_workshop_mods_for_the_gog/ ?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

From what I read WC made the EGS version ignore the mods folder until EGS adds mod support.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Parking some aggressive dodos near any beach huts I see on goonserver.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Ready to set sail for the place formerly known as Herbivore Island.

Hmmm...

It's coming right for us!

Uh oh!

At least the otter survived.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Hmmm...

Uh oh!

So that is why you were asking about putting bullets in turrets...

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Hmmm...

Uh oh!

I suddenly feel very ashamed of my base

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the spyglass mod makes me feel like an idiot for not using it all the time. i know it's "cheaty" because it gives you GPS coords but oh my god it gives you GPS coords

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I like what the mods do except for when there were nameless swarms. Is there a way to reduce the mods' load time? With those 27 it takes a few minutes to load.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Loiku posted:

I like what the mods do except for when there were nameless swarms. Is there a way to reduce the mods' load time? With those 27 it takes a few minutes to load.

Yeah the nameless have been removed from all areas except the wyvern cove cave. And sadly no, the downside to mods is a longer load time, and ark was already a slow loader to begin with. I will probably trim a few mods out eventually so that should help somewhat.

Speaking of the server, I'm pretty close to being done with testing and tweaking settings and mods, and I'll make a big effortpost that covers all the changes from vanilla, guides for the mod content and newbie advice.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nightwisher posted:

Yeah the nameless have been removed from all areas except the wyvern cove cave. And sadly no, the downside to mods is a longer load time, and ark was already a slow loader to begin with. I will probably trim a few mods out eventually so that should help somewhat.

Speaking of the server, I'm pretty close to being done with testing and tweaking settings and mods, and I'll make a big effortpost that covers all the changes from vanilla, guides for the mod content and newbie advice.

Do Rock Drakes and Basilisk Spawn in your server? And by extension their saddles in drops? Am looking for a good blueprint or saddle for my Basilisk, but I can only make the base one without a blueprint from Aberration which I want to save for later. A good high level Rock Drake would also be well appreciated and I'll gladly compensate with something from my end. Would love to visit and show off my Uber Dinos at some point.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Do Rock Drakes and Basilisk Spawn in your server? And by extension their saddles in drops? Am looking for a good blueprint or saddle for my Basilisk, but I can only make the base one without a blueprint from Aberration which I want to save for later. A good high level Rock Drake would also be well appreciated and I'll gladly compensate with something from my end. Would love to visit and show off my Uber Dinos at some point.

They indeed both spawn on my server, and their saddles should be dropped by either loot crates or alpha creatures (at a low rate). Rock drakes tend to spawn around the desert highlands, basilisk spawn in the jungle, desert and desert mountain areas. Because the server uses Kraken's Better Dinos, wild rock drakes will very occasionally drop "Valyrian Reins" which is basically a special kind of saddle that works on a huge number of creatures and confers special stats or abilities to the dino wearing them. I'd suggest hunting down a few sets of reins and using those in the meantime until you can find a BP with higher stats.

edit: Stuff like this is what I'll be doing a post on soon, there's elements from the mods I've added that aren't very visible but can be very useful, but if you don't know about them you don't know what you're missing. Kraken's also adds in a number of other items related to dinos, which I'll cover in addition to the rest of the mods.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 2, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nightwisher posted:

They indeed both spawn on my server, and their saddles should be dropped by either loot crates or alpha creatures (at a low rate). Rock drakes tend to spawn around the desert highlands, basilisk spawn in the jungle, desert and desert mountain areas. Because the server uses Kraken's Better Dinos, wild rock drakes will very occasionally drop "Valyrian Reins" which is basically a special kind of saddle that works on a huge number of creatures and confers special stats or abilities to the dino wearing them. I'd suggest hunting down a few sets of reins and using those in the meantime until you can find a BP with higher stats.

edit: Stuff like this is what I'll be doing a post on soon, there's elements from the mods I've added that aren't very visible but can be very useful, but if you don't know about them you don't know what you're missing. Kraken's also adds in a number of other items related to dinos, which I'll cover in addition to the rest of the mods.

Issue is that it's to bring back to my server which is...a little different. Mostly similar mods, but the wild levels and tamed dino levels had their volumes cranked up beyond what should be wise(320 and 575 respectively). I mostly just want to temporarily go over with one of my tames to get the saddles I need and then head back home and maybe score a Drake Egg if it's high level enough. Aside that, look into adding Rare Sightings. It causes a random creature to become "rare" and get buffed levels up to 20% the server max along with either unusual coloration or rare mutated stats. Killing it is also an option which in turn drops ascendant quality loot mixed in with random knick knacks and gives you a 20min melee and x2 xp buff.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
If i play on this goon server with my kid (both awful) are we just going to get held down with sand pounded into our buttholes? We played privately for a bit and we're pretty bad. Not sure how servers with other players work.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nightwisher posted:

Forgot to ask, but what's the server name?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If i play on this goon server with my kid (both awful) are we just going to get held down with sand pounded into our buttholes? We played privately for a bit and we're pretty bad. Not sure how servers with other players work.

It's a PvP server so there's always potential for unwanted interaction, however you do get a 5-day-long newbie protection buff when you first join that protects you from being messed with, an offline shield system that fully protects your base while you're offline and the current population is pretty small while I hammer out the fine details regarding settings, mods etc. I'm also totally fine with extending newbie protection for as long as new tribes need to get fully established, I don't want it to be like the PvP of official servers with the relentless grinding of newbies into submission. You can pretty much ignore PvP entirely if you wish and just engage in the PvE elements of the game, just get enough turrets and defences to ward off randoms and you should be just fine to amass a fine pokemon army. In terms of PvE, this is definitely harder than vanilla Ark what with all the dlc creatures and some modded ones on top, but there's a metric fuckton of convenience and quality of life items and changes that make progression smoother.

doomrider7 posted:

Issue is that it's to bring back to my server which is...a little different. Mostly similar mods, but the wild levels and tamed dino levels had their volumes cranked up beyond what should be wise(320 and 575 respectively). I mostly just want to temporarily go over with one of my tames to get the saddles I need and then head back home and maybe score a Drake Egg if it's high level enough. Aside that, look into adding Rare Sightings. It causes a random creature to become "rare" and get buffed levels up to 20% the server max along with either unusual coloration or rare mutated stats. Killing it is also an option which in turn drops ascendant quality loot mixed in with random knick knacks and gives you a 20min melee and x2 xp buff.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're talking about transferring to my server to do/get stuff then transferring back? If so then sadly you can't do that with my server, characters are server-side and transferring only works in the same cluster for unofficials.

Server name is Goons Ruin Everything | [RAG] [MODS] [56K NO] btw, join link is in the second post.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I don't think anyone here wants to be king of an empty server so you'd probably only have to worry about randoms joining.
There are currently only 10 or so people playing on the server so I don't think any pvp has been happening. I've been living on a small boat since the first day and no one has messed with my stuff but I've only seen a couple people in game.
Whatever is on the server that complains about obstructed placement makes it a lot harder to tuck a tiny base into a hidden corner like I normally would though so just make lots of turrets like he said.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Depends posted:

Whatever is on the server that complains about obstructed placement makes it a lot harder to tuck a tiny base into a hidden corner like I normally would though so just make lots of turrets like he said.

It could be that I have the setting enabled that prevents structures from clipping into terrain too much which is used to help prevent meshing exploits. There are hidden, invisible spawner structures dotted about the map that can't be built directly on top of but they're the size of a campfire and don't have a build prevention radius around them, so it could be those too but I doubt it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nightwisher posted:

It's a PvP server so there's always potential for unwanted interaction, however you do get a 5-day-long newbie protection buff when you first join that protects you from being messed with, an offline shield system that fully protects your base while you're offline and the current population is pretty small while I hammer out the fine details regarding settings, mods etc. I'm also totally fine with extending newbie protection for as long as new tribes need to get fully established, I don't want it to be like the PvP of official servers with the relentless grinding of newbies into submission. You can pretty much ignore PvP entirely if you wish and just engage in the PvE elements of the game, just get enough turrets and defences to ward off randoms and you should be just fine to amass a fine pokemon army. In terms of PvE, this is definitely harder than vanilla Ark what with all the dlc creatures and some modded ones on top, but there's a metric fuckton of convenience and quality of life items and changes that make progression smoother.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're talking about transferring to my server to do/get stuff then transferring back? If so then sadly you can't do that with my server, characters are server-side and transferring only works in the same cluster for unofficials.

Server name is Goons Ruin Everything | [RAG] [MODS] [56K NO] btw, join link is in the second post.

drat. Bummer since I need some better saddles for my Basilisk and possible future Rock Drakes and giant Crab and don't want to go to Aberration just yet(though I could since I have a pretty sturdy Aberrant Megalosaurus)due to wanting to do all the story maps in order.

By the way, you REALLY need to add Crystal Isles to your cluster if you're gonna do one. That map has EVERYTHING, including farmable Element for Tek tier stuff so all you really need are the engrams and you can just go there to farm crafting Element and construct the stuff over there and simply port it back.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

By the way, you REALLY need to add Crystal Isles to your cluster if you're gonna do one. That map has EVERYTHING, including farmable Element for Tek tier stuff so all you really need are the engrams and you can just go there to farm crafting Element and construct the stuff over there and simply port it back.

I'm definitely adding crystal isles once I'm satisfied with the mod and setting balance on the first server, however thanks to simple spawners mod I've been able to incorporate mineable element nodes and element vein events into Ragnarok, plus some hidden alpha boss spawns, so element is actually quite attainable, though the places you will find it are quite hostile.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Counterpoint: CI seems to be in a really weird place and I'm not sure if the bugginess is native to the map or the mods running on the cluster I'm on. What I do know is that the admin seems to have to do a lot of work to keep it running smooth. It might very well be the expansion mod that the original creator of the map has out. Still, buyer beware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I don’t exactly want to play co-op but I definitely don’t want to play noob stomp.

My tribe is willing to sign nonaggression pacts.