Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If i play on this goon server with my kid (both awful) are we just going to get held down with sand pounded into our buttholes? We played privately for a bit and we're pretty bad. Not sure how servers with other players work.

I think this is probably one of the better servers to play on if you want to play with other people but aren't interested in strictly PVE. I'm not opposed to a bit of a tussle if we cross paths in the field but I'm definitely not out to wipe anyone's base or gently caress with their tames.

Still though, definitely throw some turrets up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I am only about trolling people in funny ways not like, actually F'ing with their stuff or destroying anything you have going on so yeah if you mostly stay PvE and only dabble or even make it clear somehow via global chat if I PvP you its you & your kid totally backing down :)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Defend yourself against my waves of Level 300 Attack Dodos or get pecked, kid.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
How does Ark handle despawns now? Do wild creatures stay there forever in stasis or do they despawn with something new after a certain amount of time?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Loiku posted:

How does Ark handle despawns now? Do wild creatures stay there forever in stasis or do they despawn with something new after a certain amount of time?

As far I've experienced:
There is a server setting to respawn wild dinos on restart
If a wild dino wanders/is lured too far out of it's spawn zone it will eventually despawn
If a wild dino is near a foundation, tamed dino, or something else with a spawn prohibiting zone around it the dino will despawn at some point

Not sure what triggers the last two, probably something to do with going in and out of stasis or amount of time in stasis.

Everything else should stay in game.*

*all anecdotal, no promises

Depends fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 5, 2020

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
That's useful to know, thank you. The reason I asked is because I saw a level 145 one of those super quetzals, Hatzegopteryx, and it was wrecking us using barrel rolls when we were flying around on pteranodons. So I was wondering what the likelihood of being able to find it again was to tame it.

https://additional-creatures.fandom.com/wiki/Hatzegopteryx

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I've had good luck re-finding wild dinos where I saw them last. If there's nothing else out there (player structures or whatever), leaving them in stasis by exiting the area keeps them pretty stable.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
There may be a max active server dino count or some sort of culling that happens when the server needs more power but I've very rarely not been able to find things if I go looking again within a day or so. Especially on a low pop server. No idea if Quetzals are treated differently but I've had some of them hang out in a specific area for a week or more on other servers.
That said I've had tames magically vanish from my pens in the past as well so who knows.

Yesterday early I found a 200 rex I wanted to go back and tame but i'll be annoyed if I go through the effort of looking for it just for it not to be there so instead I just won't try.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Also, when you reach Tek tier, you can build a super structures Tek Transmitter which can be used to bring up a map interface that shows you every creature, it's level and rough location. I can't overstate how powerful that function is. Reaching Tek tier on this server should be fairly easy, the basic Tek engrams should auto unlock at around lvl 135 and element can be found on the map in the form of small cyan rocks, in 3 distinct locations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I'm level 147 and can't build a tek replicator? Should I be able to?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bus hustler posted:

I'm level 147 and can't build a tek replicator? Should I be able to?

No. Tek Engrams are not level gated--they are boss gated. Technically someone could carry a beach bob through all the alpha bosses, and he'd have Tek before stone.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Engrams#Tekgrams

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

We bred too many dodos so if someone wants like 15+ dodo eggs ready to hatch, lmk where to put em or they're going in a cardboard box out front of the supermarket.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Never ever get a puppy, kitten, or dinosaur from the WalMart parking lot, they’re always gonna cost you loads visiting the local veterinarian.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My friends and I have played a few nights of this in 4 player PvE on our own private dedicated server that my buddy runs on his PC when we decide to play.

Tonight a storm came through and he lost power briefly. When we came back, our server was aaaaall hosed up. We still had our character levels and engrams, but every player and container inventory was wiped and our tribe had lost ownership of everything we'd built. We only really had a glorified beach hut and perimeter fence, but it was a big bummer to have to deal with that. We resorted to some admin commands to just wipe out everything and use creative mode to rebuild our base in wood and bootstrap ourselves with the basic gear we had been using.

It only occurred to me AFTER rebuilding everything to wonder if the dedicated server software might keep the last few autosaves around as backup points, maybe someone who has run a server knows more about this?

Anyway, some random questions about the game itself:

-I had a personal guard of 3 Dilophosaurs that I wanted to mate in camp, and they just immediately hosed off out the gate as soon as I allowed roaming. I managed to wrangle two of them back but the third went beyond the hills and eventually something ate it. I have no good idea how to actually manage tame dino populations, the menus related to this stuff are a nightmare and it's unclear even from an overview level how to approach it. So far we've just been parking the ~5 or so tames we have inside our walls while they're not in use, but this seems like this will rapidly become untenable as we catch more pokemon.

-Tamed dinos in general seem to have absolutely horrendous pathfinding. I keep having to turn around and make sure that they're not snagged on a fallen log or something when they're following me around, and getting them to successfully walk through even a dino gate is hard. I have no sense for how long the leash on following dinos is-- will they try to get back to you no matter what? will they give up and go idle past a certain point? do they eventually just teleport to you when you're not looking?

-Is there any way at early stages to fend off the really horrific big predators that wander by? Even on the beach we've been harried by Spinosaurs, some kind of horned T-rex thing, a giant snake, a giant crocodile, and a Bontosaur who assaulted us with non-stop screenshake and wouldn't leave. So far our only strategy has been nominating a sacrifice to make the offending creature mad and run as far as possible away from camp before it eats them.

-Are there any server settings we should look to adjust to compensate for our unusual play setup? We're only playing for a few hours at a time a few nights a week, and the server's not running 24/7. I'd prefer to keep things reasonably "authentic" for our first time experience, but some of the really slow "real-time" stuff like farming plots, egg hatching timers, seems pretty incompatible with how we're playing. Trying to tame stuff any bigger than a Dilophosaur also seems like it's starting to take a long time (assuming we're doing it right by cramming food and sleepy berries in their inventories and waiting).

For reference we're playing totally vanilla on the EGS version.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 10, 2020

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Scoss posted:

My friends and I have played a few nights of this in 4 player PvE on our own private dedicated server that my buddy runs on his PC when we decide to play.

Tonight a storm came through and he lost power briefly. When we came back, our server was aaaaall hosed up. We still had our character levels and engrams, but every player and container inventory was wiped and our tribe had lost ownership of everything we'd built. We only really had a glorified beach hut and perimeter fence, but it was a big bummer to have to deal with that. We resorted to some admin commands to just wipe out everything and use creative mode to rebuild our base in wood and bootstrap ourselves with the basic gear we had been using.

It only occurred to me AFTER rebuilding everything to wonder if the dedicated server software might keep the last few autosaves around as backup points, maybe someone who has run a server knows more about this?

-I had a personal guard of 3 Dilophosaurs that I wanted to mate in camp, and they just immediately hosed off out the gate as soon as I allowed roaming. I managed to wrangle two of them back but the third went beyond the hills and eventually something ate it. I have no good idea how to actually manage tame dino populations, the menus related to this stuff are a nightmare and it's unclear even from an overview level how to approach it. So far we've just been parking the ~5 or so tames we have inside our walls while they're not in use, but this seems like this will rapidly become untenable as we catch more pokemon.

-Tamed dinos in general seem to have absolutely horrendous pathfinding. I keep having to turn around and make sure that they're not snagged on a fallen log or something when they're following me around, and getting them to successfully walk through even a dino gate is hard. I have no sense for how long the leash on following dinos is-- will they try to get back to you no matter what? will they give up and go idle past a certain point? do they eventually just teleport to you when you're not looking?

-Is there any way at early stages to fend off the really horrific big predators that wander by? Even on the beach we've been harried by Spinosaurs, some kind of horned T-rex thing, a giant snake, a giant crocodile, and a Bontosaur who assaulted us with non-stop screenshake and wouldn't leave. So far our only strategy has been nominating a sacrifice to make the offending creature mad and run as far as possible away from camp before it eats them.

-Are there any server settings we should look to adjust to compensate for our unusual play setup? We're only playing for a few hours at a time a few nights a week, and the server's not running 24/7. I'd prefer to keep things reasonably "authentic" for our first time experience, but some of the really slow "real-time" stuff like farming plots, egg hatching timers, seems pretty incompatible with how we're playing. Trying to tame stuff any bigger than a Dilophosaur also seems like it's starting to take a long time (assuming we're doing it right by cramming food and sleepy berries in their inventories and waiting).

You don't have to enable wandering to mate anymore, there is an option to enable mating when interacting with the dinos.
Dino storage becomes easier later game when you can make and store cryo pods.

Pathfinding on tames is god awful, it doesn't get any better even as you scale to bigger dinos. Even the mighty giganotosaurus can be thwarted by the tiniest of loving pebbles.

Early game defence can be done a few ways, either spend the time and effort taming your own mid to large carnivore like the Carno (spikey horn boy) out a rex/spino. You don't have to be able to mount them to use as base defence, just get used to running whistle commands.
The other way is to tame every single dilo you see until you have a hungry pack of mean.
I'm also a big fan of running a flock of pteranadons once you can make a saddle and tame them, they are quick and easy to tame with a Bolas and pretty much any method of knocking them out. The early game ballache is often the chitin/keratin grind to make the first saddle, once you have a couple in mate boost even low level you can take down almost anything with whistle commands and attacking from the air, just watch your stamina they are very squishy.
If you take the time to get a garden up and growing the kibble requires small eggs to make so the dodos actually have a use for getting decent level bonus on higher level pteranadons with kibble feed.

I would recommend 4x across the board for all settings, maybe dial up the egg maturation and other breeding settings a little higher, 4x is OK up until you reach the bigger tames I think ours was closer to 8x for all the breeding settings and a giga would take 45m to hatch and just under 6h to fully mature. Dodos would go fully grown in around 18m and could breed every 8h.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

A dedicated server for 10 or fewer people is like... $14-17 a month from somewhere and has 15m autosave backups

As you build your base it will stop things spawning right around it, there's a (configurable, actually) range, so the more base you build the less you'll get nasty stuff spawning right on top of you.

We under-used tames, even non useful seeming tames, in the beginning. A triceratops is super easy to trap or plink from some height and makes a great early game tank. Even a bunch of small stuff adds up or acts as a meat shield. Basically until your movement speed/HP is pretty high you shouldn't be running around on your own too much.

It's not a game where even at the high levels you want to be tanking too many hits from dinos in melee range, the crossbow is essential. Using tames for gathering is also essential, like Ankylo for metal.

Also assuming The Island or Ragnarok there are some more new base friendly areas I think than the beaches

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

death swim to herbivore island

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Scoss posted:

If you want to leave dinos on defense just leave them on neutral so they retaliate if attacked, if on wander they will run away. A lot of times I'll have a HP pumped turtle on passive to use as an anchor that the dinos are set to follow so after the threat is gone they come back. This works pretty well for water dinos. Lots of people use spiked walls and I just put a house on a cliff and stone wall off the other approach with a dino storage yard as soon as I can.

Sometimes the jumping dinos will do an okay job at keeping up with you aside from an of angled jump now and then. Making some of the bigger dinos knock down trees they run into was a huge QoL improvement for moving groups of tames. Once you are out of render distance the dino will stop following you soon after and go into stasis until you are back in range.

Like was mentioned 4x is decent, most of the older tames while slow aren't terrible because you can go do stuff while coming back to check it every 5-10 minutes but certain dinos really suck because their torpor drops like a rock. Start using narcotics over berries as soon as possible.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Is increasing your movement speed advised? Seems to go up so crazy slow so it doesn't seem like it'd have a big impact but it's hard to tell.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Is increasing your movement speed advised? Seems to go up so crazy slow so it doesn't seem like it'd have a big impact but it's hard to tell.

Absolutely. A move speed of around 140+ will let you outrun the vast majority of creatures with ease. Just bear in mind this also makes you a lot more prone to sprinting off a small drop and throwing yourself down a cliff accidentally.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It depends on what it is. My Iguanodon has a movement speed of 130% and when combined with their 4x4 which has infinite stamina, there's really nothing I can't outrun and I can gather stuff in peace. On my other tames it's largely irrelevant as they don't need to go far for their resources or I carry them via argy, or they're powerful enough that running away is irrelevant since I can just kill whatever tries to go at me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

If you're using a ground mount for travel, it can be helpful. On yourself, it's useful in the event you have to book it away from something fast. After a while though, with a large number of tames player stats take lower and lower priority. Dinos are always* better than you at everything, so level enough HP to not melt instantly, and put the rest in weight.

*: Not applicable to modded servers where you might have super cool modded stuff that lets you out-mine an anky.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

140/150% movement speed on your character is pretty baller, you can outrun everything except gigas. But if you've got a giga anywhere near you then you are in for some bad bad times.
Have to remember that some wilds have insane aggro ranges though so you will think you are all clear and suddenly pack of allosaurus chewing on your booty

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I pretty much split my points between move speed and carry weight, but it's not the safest way to play. Much more fun, but unsafe, as 500% speed gets you used to crouching to avoid ramping into the void.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

you can also in the future change your stats around every 24h via a mind wipe tonic so you aren't locked in. you can prioritize what makes sense or is fun at first & change down the line. it needs some medium advanced stuff but should be pretty easy to whip up a few as a group.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

bus hustler posted:

you can also in the future change your stats around every 24h via a mind wipe tonic so you aren't locked in. you can prioritize what makes sense or is fun at first & change down the line. it needs some medium advanced stuff but should be pretty easy to whip up a few as a group.

This is another setting that can be changed to allow for unlimited mind wipes.
Most often used to spec into full crafting skill to try and roll really sick gear and saddles from cave drop blueprints

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Is there still a benefit to crafting skill and creating food recipes for others to use? A meat one, a berry one and a crop one?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Loiku posted:

Is there still a benefit to crafting skill and creating food recipes for others to use? A meat one, a berry one and a crop one?

Once you have some decent BPs and high/max level, mind wipe for a day and put all their points into crafting then craft those BPs. The crafted bonus is random so you can still get bad rolls which sucks on an expensive saddle but can easily cap out a 500-600% damage weapons.

I don't think many people ever use custom foods and the only one I've ever personally seen was a raw meat one just for laziness sake. You need to have someone fully specced into crafting skill, then eaten a focal chili before creating the recipe to get the most out of it. Once you have the recipe created with the full bonus then anyone can use the note to make that food in a pot/cooker. It doesn't do a lot for you so most people don't bother with the hassle.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

Once you have some decent BPs and high/max level, mind wipe for a day and put all their points into crafting then craft those BPs. The crafted bonus is random so you can still get bad rolls which sucks on an expensive saddle but can easily cap out a 500-600% damage weapons.

I don't think many people ever use custom foods and the only one I've ever personally seen was a raw meat one just for laziness sake. You need to have someone fully specced into crafting skill, then eaten a focal chili before creating the recipe to get the most out of it. Once you have the recipe created with the full bonus then anyone can use the note to make that food in a pot/cooker. It doesn't do a lot for you so most people don't bother with the hassle.

Wish I had known about that bonus before making that expensive rear end longneck.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

doomrider7 posted:

Wish I had known about that bonus before making that expensive rear end longneck.

Yours is like 600ish damage I think, max is 755 I believe. Wouldn't have made a huge difference. I have a 633 in my smithy if you decide to make a new one at some point.
I also have a crossbow schematic that is 700+ in my vault but it was even more expensive than the gun so I haven't made one yet.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

Yours is like 600ish damage I think, max is 755 I believe. Wouldn't have made a huge difference. I have a 633 in my smithy if you decide to make a new one at some point.
I also have a crossbow schematic that is 700+ in my vault but it was even more expensive than the gun so I haven't made one yet.

Yeesh. Tempting for sea tames, but that's a lot of damage and you run the risk of killing them. Right now I'm still looking for a good saddled for Echidna(giant snake), but I don't think they drop here in Valguero. I did get a bluebrint for a solid Dein saddle for when I hatch the eggs I have. Those guys I'll hatch and move to the Island same. Wyverns I'll still keep in Ragnarok, but might move them over at some point. Thinking of making a floating base next to my land base on the island either via the raft there or platforms plus mod and use it for breeding purposes.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

Yeesh. Tempting for sea tames, but that's a lot of damage and you run the risk of killing them. Right now I'm still looking for a good saddled for Echidna(giant snake), but I don't think they drop here in Valguero. I did get a bluebrint for a solid Dein saddle for when I hatch the eggs I have. Those guys I'll hatch and move to the Island same. Wyverns I'll still keep in Ragnarok, but might move them over at some point. Thinking of making a floating base next to my land base on the island either via the raft there or platforms plus mod and use it for breeding purposes.

All you need is to tame a single shark and pump its hp, then let it get grabbed by a giant squid while you stuff some black pearls up its butte and you will never look at another water tame, squids are awesome.
Unless you diddle with drop settings then the basilisk saddles (guessing that's what you mean by giant snake) will only drop on abberation and genesis

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Most of the servers I've played on have the custom recipes turned off, so I've never really used them, apparently they used to be mega op and could sate your water, food, health and stamina. Maybe it's been adjusted, but I also have no idea how much effort it was to craft.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

All you need is to tame a single shark and pump its hp, then let it get grabbed by a giant squid while you stuff some black pearls up its butte and you will never look at another water tame, squids are awesome.
Unless you diddle with drop settings then the basilisk saddles (guessing that's what you mean by giant snake) will only drop on abberation and genesis

I have a squid already courtesy of my turtle Bowsette. Cool thing, but honestly kind of overrated vs the whale. Bummer about the saddle. Might look into the settings on my Crystal Isles and Valguero servers then since those are the ones where they spawn.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 13, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Got a Baby Drake and FINALLY loving got a high level Male Rex. Baby Drake is uber adorable. Need to come up with a good name. Ditto for my Aberrant Spino I used to find her. This also means that I need a good drake saddle now. I also need to figure out how to set it so that I can mate my wyverns to breed a dragon army of death.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 13, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the 'goon server' many of us are playing on has some items in the "better dinos bench" when in "preserver" mode that make some of this stuff easier, like craftable surrogate wyvern milk, and i *think* taming food that's almost as good as kibble/vegetable cake. it also has a shark repellant item which helps keep sea poo poo off of you.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 13, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

bus hustler posted:

the 'goon server' many of us are playing on has some items in the "better dinos bench" when in "preserver" mode that make some of this stuff easier, like craftable surrogate wyvern milk, and i *think* taming food that's almost as good as kibble/vegetable cake. it also has a shark repellant item which helps keep sea poo poo off of you.

Oh I've made a bunch of Wyvern Baby Formula and Crystal Treats. I've not made the others due to lack of need. The sweet candy is basically vegetarian prime and another one is carrion prime. There's also a leech food recipe. The shark repellent I've not made yet, but will most definitely look into for Lost Hope cave. Also, I discovered that you CAN'T upload baby dinos into the obelisk so I'm gonna be in Valguero a while it seems.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sheesh, you have any idea what effects an upload could have on an infant?! Those protocols exist for a reason!

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Just kill it and upload the meat and hide, then reassemble on the other side. Seems like it should be easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

Just kill it and upload the meat and hide, then reassemble on the other side. Seems like it should be easy!

Lol. I still have your bird and lion bird. Discord me whenever you're ready to pick them up.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 15, 2020