Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Simon Numbers posted:

This game on any pvp server is absolutely hilarious. I have been playing their conquest mode and the following has happened.

-Server being ddosed continously
-Leaders home internet being ddos'd, 2 modems fried
-servers being botcapped repeatedly
-accounts being spoofed to popcorn admin rooms
-Spoofed to delete characters
-Aimbotted
-Servers crashed repeatedly
-Streamers playing in cheater tribes with HWID banned players making videos claiming they were innocent while being involved in all this
-20 members being personally ddos'd during a raid
-spoofed again to popcorn cryofridges
-multiple peoples characters being deleted after logging off for the night, authentication not possible on multiple servers after

Yeah don't play this game, it's full of cheaters.

Lt. Buzz Lightbeer and Nooblets have some videos detailing this clusterfuck of a dumpsterfire and it's due to BS from the publisher Snail Games being a lovely corp(not that Wildcard is much better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ark is a game with a fantastic skeleton but awful implementation on most levels. i still played a lot in a goon-run pve server some time ago, but the official servers are poo poo, even without the cheaters the default settings official servers use are absolutely terrible. and with the way they are handling ark and the remake, no fuckin way am i spending a dime on ark 2.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I bought a server and played with 6-10 friends for a summer, it was very fun taming every animal and accessing more hostile map regions and building a base to craft things you’ll need for those.

But the base is built, the animals are tamed, and we’ve seen the whole map now. Good game, but the PvE is over and PvP ain’t fun here.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ark is a game with a fantastic skeleton but awful implementation on most levels. i still played a lot in a goon-run pve server some time ago, but the official servers are poo poo, even without the cheaters the default settings official servers use are absolutely terrible. and with the way they are handling ark and the remake, no fuckin way am i spending a dime on ark 2.

Yeah, this is where it's at. It's a chill game to play with friends, and is best played on private persistent PVE servers with either people you know or people who are chill and just wanna hang out and ride dinosaurs. Before I quit/forgot about things last time I was pretty close to having some perfect stat breeding lines finished, and had soloed several of the bosses, which had given me enough knowledge of each to regularly do runs for the other people on the server to see them as well. I also turned a skiff into a Warhammer-style battleship with like 64 turrets on one side which was absolutely hilarious to watch pop off on world bosses.

Shame about the everything though. It's actually a bit impressive that it is still kicking about outside the private server scene.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Ark was pretty great back before all of the horrible power bloat, resource gathering bloat, and general poorly thought out dino designs. Also before server transfers were a thing, so you didn't have 400 sweaty Russians and Chinese players hellpurging your server because one of your dinos had better stats than theirs did, and you refused to trade them for it. You didn't have the PVP meta of 200 movespeed 500 HP dwarves shooting 550% damage longnecks from unkillable box-fort dinos.

Back in the day, everything was more valuable, if you found a 112+ level ptera, you were super happy because you spent the last 40 minutes spyglassing every flyer near herbivore island. A blue drop with a half decent double barrel shotgun was a good find, and if you got picked, there was a halfway decent chance that you could one tap the ptera because it had a 25 armor prim saddle, 400 HP, and took 6x damage if you shot it in the face.

Basically every single resource was a pain in the rear end to farm, so everything you had and did was an accomplishment, and a massive server lagging doom-fort was the work of months for a large tribe.

Also I miss leveling oxygen turning you into a hilarious human torpedo. 400 Oxygen and you could swim substantially faster than you could run, and at 600+ if you were ballsy enough, you could fling yourself over behemoth gates that were on the shoreline.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

It's so much fun on a small, private PvE server. I like to come back every now and then, and try new or updated mods. I had fun with a heavily tweaked TC's Brutal Ark. Usually, there's no reason to build much in the way of defenses at your base in PvE, but the mod adds limited land claims that you have to defend from increasingly dangerous horde attacks. You can set it to give rewards in the form of currency, which can be spent at a configurable in-game shop.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Big-name multi-server tribe PVP in this game is an amazing dumpsterfire of bullshit. I'd be interested to learn more about the character spoofing, as that's a pretty sophisticated attack to pull off vs. 50 bootleg key reseller aimbot accounts logging in to fill server slots (as is tradition).

Giving away free accounts really put the final nail in the coffin. Cheaters have hundreds of accounts to cycle through and official enforcement is non existent as well as no one getting dev wiped for aimbotting.

Spoofing process starts with you getting disconnected then trying to log in gives you "player already on this account" . Character still moves around. I'm not completely sure about specific tech stuff other than it's not specific to steam or epic. One guy got spoofed on the back of a griffin and had his character deleted from the game before his corpse hit the ground.

doomrider7 posted:

Lt. Buzz Lightbeer and Nooblets have some videos detailing this clusterfuck of a dumpsterfire and it's due to BS from the publisher Snail Games being a lovely corp(not that Wildcard is much better).

Nooblets is the only YouTuber I've seen that isn't complicit in the cheating. A lot of content creators in ARK are living in glass houses, some of the biggest pvp streamers actively play with or are themselves cheating. I hate it so much that it's so widely known within the community but they stil choose to make these content creators the face of their game. Not much is going to change while this still happens.

Hilarious the amount of times I've seen tribes cheat their rear end off and still lose though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Simon Numbers posted:

Giving away free accounts really put the final nail in the coffin. Cheaters have hundreds of accounts to cycle through and official enforcement is non existent as well as no one getting dev wiped for aimbotting.

Spoofing process starts with you getting disconnected then trying to log in gives you "player already on this account" . Character still moves around. I'm not completely sure about specific tech stuff other than it's not specific to steam or epic. One guy got spoofed on the back of a griffin and had his character deleted from the game before his corpse hit the ground.

Nooblets is the only YouTuber I've seen that isn't complicit in the cheating. A lot of content creators in ARK are living in glass houses, some of the biggest pvp streamers actively play with or are themselves cheating. I hate it so much that it's so widely known within the community but they stil choose to make these content creators the face of their game. Not much is going to change while this still happens.

Hilarious the amount of times I've seen tribes cheat their rear end off and still lose though.

And yet the game was recently getting totally legit excellent reviews.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 1, 2023

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ark was pretty great back before all of the horrible power bloat, resource gathering bloat, and general poorly thought out dino designs.
Yeah official pvp was pretty great during the first few months, the summer of 2015. It went downhill when they started making changes meant to stifle competition. Here's one from the end of July:

quote:

Added Tribe Name to Death Recap (so that u can know what Tribe to seek unholy revengeance upon)

Pvp balance was hosed by October, when they introduced Quetzals.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jackard posted:

Yeah official pvp was pretty great during the first few months, the summer of 2015. It went downhill when they started making changes meant to stifle competition. Here's one from the end of July:

Stat wipe potions also kinda ruined poo poo. The Ideal PvP build is wildly different from basically any PvE build.

The ideal server would be some flavor of Prim+, with a real low gear cap, no platform saddles, no giga/titan/quetzal taming. No Tek, underwater caves and ocean drops give yellow/red tier loot. Breeding is possible, but changed to be a giant pain in the rear end. You can breed any dino together, but the closer related they are, the more likely they end up with severe negative stat mutations, possibly that only show up once they're fully grown.

Hell, make wild dinos scale to 175, but make only 60 and below tameable.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Hell, make wild dinos scale to 175, but make only 60 and below tameable.
Dinos having such a wide level range was one of the things that hosed up the balance and made the game more tedious.

Without changes to the system, you would want them capped somewhere between 30-60.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

And yet the game was recently getting totally legit excellent reviews.

PvE is arks main playerbase and cash cow.

Jackard posted:

Look up noglins and then know that you can buy a "cap" of them for $2.

Quetzals got worse too, entire frame around them plus mounting a catapult on the top that shoots napalm.

Then there's the space dolphins aka astrodelphis which are basically jet fighters.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Simon Numbers posted:

PvE is arks main playerbase and cash cow.

Look up noglins and then know that you can buy a "cap" of them for $2.

Quetzals got worse too, entire frame around them plus mounting a catapult on the top that shoots napalm.

Then there's the space dolphins aka astrodelphis which are basically jet fighters.

That was actually a reference to the insanely blatant bot reviews that showed up when the game was getting rightfully review bombed over the insulting pricing options for Ascended and ARK 2.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Fair enough

Asmongold just posted a video about the snail games corruption on conquest servers, maybe something will come of it. I didn't watch the video because lmao but I recognize his impact on the gaming world.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
My friends and I just finished our Valheim playthrough and are looking at this next, since three of the four of us have it from the giveaways. We'll definitely be playing a private server, but we're not sure about how to best set everything up for a casual, couple-of-hours-a-week style of play.

Is the info in the OP still good, primarily the recommended mods?

The server can be set up with drop multipliers and such, right? Any recommendations for server settings?

Also, how do the DLC zones work? Are we stuck with whatever area we start in, or is there some way to travel between them?

Anything else we should know going in blind, or does the game do a good job tutorializing?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Noper Q posted:

My friends and I just finished our Valheim playthrough and are looking at this next, since three of the four of us have it from the giveaways. We'll definitely be playing a private server, but we're not sure about how to best set everything up for a casual, couple-of-hours-a-week style of play.

Is the info in the OP still good, primarily the recommended mods?

The server can be set up with drop multipliers and such, right? Any recommendations for server settings?

Also, how do the DLC zones work? Are we stuck with whatever area we start in, or is there some way to travel between them?

Anything else we should know going in blind, or does the game do a good job tutorializing?

Can't recall what mods were listed, but the following are drat near mandatory for enjoyment as well as personal faves

Krakens Better Dinos

Super Structures(Successor to the excellent Structures Plus)

Dino Storage

Upgrade Station

Rare Sightings

Animals of Atlas(do not confuse this with Shads Atlas Imports)

Awesome Spyglass

ARK Additions

Dino Tracker

Platforms Plus

Premade Structures

Better Farming

Rare Mushroom and Flower Seeds

All of Eco's mods for adding in decor and various cultural stuff like vikings and roman empire stuff including new structures and recipes.

From there it's whatever you like.

There were more, but ill need to look them over vs what was already listed and not

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
If you are going to deploy servers to your own equipment instead of renting then I would suggest using Ark Server Manager. It makes managing clusters of servers much easier. You will want to setup a cluster if you plan to progress through the maps. You can change all the rates in Ark, and so much more. The Devs did make Ark highly configurable.

https://arkservermanager.freeforums.net/thread/5193/downloads

As far as mods what doomrider7 mentioned has some very good mods to start out with and is pretty close to what I use on my cluster. The big exception is I still use structures plus instead of super structures. It has been updated more recently so not entirely sure what is in the super structures fork. Another thing you want is a stacking mod of some sort. Besides what doomrider7 mentioned here are some other good QoL mods depending on how easy you want to make things:
Awesome Teleporters
Crazy Crazy Potions
Tools and More SoSMod v3.1
Automatic Death Recovery
Naj's Speedy Flyers

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Thank you for the responses. That server tool looks very useful.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Noper Q posted:

Thank you for the responses. That server tool looks very useful.

It's amazing. It's what I used to create my dozen or so servers. I mentioned them a bit off-hand, but wanted to link to the mod for Eco's Decor since it's so good.

Romans

Inca

Viking

These are just some of the ones I run(particularly the first two) and they're awesome just for the alt skins for tames alone.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
A few days late, but i would definitely increase taming speed and reduce food decay, especially if your crew isn't going to log in everyday

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
We haven't actually started yet, so that's good info.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

increase maturation speed on the dinos too if anyone has even a slight interest in breeding

there's definitely a part of me that wants to play this again on a private pve server on the center and actually kill the bosses this time

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 25, 2023

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, and reduce how much dinos eat.

I'm sure there's some way to stop the world when no one is online, but the default is that the clock in game is ticking even if no one is online.

First time i set up a server i was coming from valheim where the world goes dormant if no one is online. Didn't log on for a couple of days and all my dinos were dead and gone because the food had rotted and they starved to death.

As for map, I'm a big fan of starting on the first one and getting that lost island experience, but my favorite map is probably caballus.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

increase maturation speed on the dinos too if anyone has even a slight interest in breeding

there's definitely a part of me that wants to play this again on a private pve server on the center and actually kill the bosses this time

My steam says i have 230 hours of Ark played. I have never even seen a boss.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 25, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they are launching the remaster into early access are you loving kidding me how is wildcard a real studio

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

they are launching the remaster into early access are you loving kidding me how is wildcard a real studio

Are you surprised by any of this?

Here's the vid explaining this recent clusterfuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8nm7l2S3Y

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 3, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i should not be surprised given everything else, but who the gently caress releases a remaster into early access

it is breaking my brain

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They also announced that since they will ship with just 1 map they will reduce the price. Which for every other studio would sound like a nice thing. But for this one you just know that they will then charge as dlc later.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
You can't even blame big bad ol' Snail Games for that move because they were still independently operated when they decided to release an expansion pack to a game still firmly in early access, so the precedent was already set long ago.

Must suck to be anyone running a cluster because now you're gonna have to run 2 sets of servers since I can see many existing players not migrating at all.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

joepinetree posted:

They also announced that since they will ship with just 1 map they will reduce the price. Which for every other studio would sound like a nice thing. But for this one you just know that they will then charge as dlc later.

They already said you'll be rebuying all the remastered DLC one at a time as they're released IIRC.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nightwisher posted:

You can't even blame big bad ol' Snail Games for that move because they were still independently operated when they decided to release an expansion pack to a game still firmly in early access, so the precedent was already set long ago.

Must suck to be anyone running a cluster because now you're gonna have to run 2 sets of servers since I can see many existing players not migrating at all.

last i heard they were shutting down servers for the original release when the remaster comes out

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

joepinetree posted:

The first time I did bosses was on my last private server, where I ended up personal challenging myself to do as many as I could solo. I ended up becoming the de-facto guide for people on our cluster who wanted to do The Island, Ragnarok, Abberation, and I think Genesis? It was fun doing The Island solo with a Tek suit and a shotgun. Which was my fallback plan if a 'traditional' run failed--bail out and Iron Man the attempt myself.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

last i heard they were shutting down servers for the original release when the remaster comes out

lmao...

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Still seems to be the plan, but it got pushed back til end of September I think. In any case, many moons ago when I read that Jeremy Stiglitz was coming back on board, I knew...and felt the disturbance in the force.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

joepinetree posted:

I found there to be quite a jump in difficulty when I faced a boss for the first time: I had played enough Ark that I was basically king pimp of The Island but bosses would wreck me in seconds, even with 20 Rexes. I think they're really not designed for singleplayer.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

nexus6 posted:

I found there to be quite a jump in difficulty when I faced a boss for the first time: I had played enough Ark that I was basically king pimp of The Island but bosses would wreck me in seconds, even with 20 Rexes. I think they're really not designed for singleplayer.

They're not. You really need a combination of cheesy strats and inflated stats to force the issue. It's harder if you're in a situation where you can't get things from other maps. Velonasaurs from Extinction, for instance, are very fun to use but unless you're in a situation where you can bring your velonasaur swarm from Extinction to Ragnarok or something, you can't really use strats involving them. Alternatively, extremely long breeding lines where you've reached nearly perfect combat stats can get a lot of milage. I had a swarm of deinonychus that I'd bred up to within like 50 points of perfect that were absolute monsters as a swarm, though not quite as effective as the same relative statted Rexes. Just more fun because it's a swarm of swarm-buffed bird raptors doing stacking bleeds and poo poo. Gimmicks make things more fun.

And still, things like Extinction bosses will absolutely inflict mass casualties even to a legion of gigas, for instance. I never tried soloing any of those just because the requirements are absolutely loony.

AND EVEN AFTER ALL THAT if you've abandoned the hope of doing a solo run and recruited some buddies, you're still going to have more dinos than riders, and if your riders don't know what the gently caress they're doing/get bad luck and get knocked off or otherwise removed from the fight, you're back to square one. Which has happened to me. Fortunately not on anything I didn't already know some kind of cheese to finish.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really enjoyed my time with ARK with my friends but the bosses were definitely a low point and mostly felt like they were a boring blobfest that was decided before the fight even began based on the quality of what we brought in rather than any particular strategy.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Another problem with single player is that the game doesn't quite know how to cope in boss fights. You go in with the 20 critters you are allowed and It straight up kills a dinosaur in each phase change of the genesis one fight, for god knows what reason. The megapithecus fight kills one as well, not inclusing any who get bumped off the side of the landing platform into the void when you spawn in.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

King Doom posted:

Another problem with single player is that the game doesn't quite know how to cope in boss fights. You go in with the 20 critters you are allowed and It straight up kills a dinosaur in each phase change of the genesis one fight, for god knows what reason. The megapithecus fight kills one as well, not inclusing any who get bumped off the side of the landing platform into the void when you spawn in.

What do you mean? Mega Ape you can fall off the ledge in the center, but aside that he's trivial. Never done Genesis so I dunno there.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Every time I've done the ape fight solo I've lost a rex. I probably shouldn't have said killed since it just removes the critter from existence, no death message or anything. When I realised it was happening I spawned in a bunch of rexes with about 900,000 hp, 6000% melee and 300 armor saddles, walked them along to the stairs one at a time to make sure they weren't going over the edge, started the fight and lo and behold, one vanishes after a fight that takes all of four or five seconds. I always assumed it was the game having issues with the 20 creature limit since it wouldn't be the only bit of godawful programming on that map.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Well it certainly looks very pretty, but if it is any good is another matter? Ark Survival Ascended is out in a few hours, here is the Video Card Melting trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLODoXanog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Trailer still has scenes showcasing lovely Wildcard balance. Like an entire cabin deleted in just a few seconds from a single rocket.

Might be worthwhile on a private or unofficial server with custom ruleset. Does the primitive ruleset exist for official servers anymore?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 26, 2023