Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What camera is it? I've been thinking about getting one to make a montage of all the dumb poo poo I see commuting.

This thing: https://www.amazon.ca/Apexcam-Underwater-170%C2%B0Wide-Angle-Rechargeable-Accessories/dp/B07HP18CWC

It's "4k" in that it can do 4k@30fps which is completely unwatchable. Switch it to 1080@60fps for something that is at least bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nobody Interesting posted:

First ride of the season, with helmet cam, and I already caught a dumb dog walker :allears:

It's not a very good cam. Was only 50bux, but I got it mainly to capture any dog-based accidents which I think it does competently enough.

https://i.imgur.com/Z3yCuZL.mp4

Also feel free to roast me if there was something I should have done better here (there is sound - I ring the bell a few times)

You should have stolen the dog

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

It's "4k" in that it can do 4k@30fps which is completely unwatchable.

Is it a true 30fps? That seems totally fine?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

kimbo305 posted:

Is it a true 30fps? That seems totally fine?

I don't think so. It was extremely bad when I tried it out (just walking around inside). It was also excessively large, I just don't think it's useful at 4k at all.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

First ride of the season, with helmet cam, and I already caught a dumb dog walker :allears:

It's not a very good cam. Was only 50bux, but I got it mainly to capture any dog-based accidents which I think it does competently enough.

https://i.imgur.com/Z3yCuZL.mp4

Also feel free to roast me if there was something I should have done better here (there is sound - I ring the bell a few times)

Honestly I wouldn't go between them like that. If you had spooked the dog the most likely reaction would be to scoot over to its owner... And directly under your wheels.
I personally would have passed to the side around the owner but if it was too muddy or something just yell at them. Not worth taking that risk regardless of who is at fault.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was also gonna say I would not ride between them. I'd just pass on the grass.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:agreed:
She's still the rear end in a top hat for walking leashless and making this even a question, but yeah I would have gone in the grass, or waited behind her ringing the bell aggressively until getting her attention

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm looking to put fenders on my Brodie Romulus. It has full eyelets but my 32mm tires leave very little clearance on the back brake (less than 5mm). The front might be doable.

Just wondering if I've got options for.. half fenders? If that's a thing. Something like the rear end savers win wing but more permanent

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

alnilam posted:

:agreed:
She's still the rear end in a top hat for walking leashless

It's an officially designated off-leash park (on a bike path, in coyote town lol) so they're allowed to do this, but most people would have sense or something. The law obviously is that your dog has to be in control at all times, but everyone obviously has perfectly well behaved dogs and it's your fault if you provoke them.

Grateful for the feedback - going between them wasn't super smart but I will say it's not very clear on camera but there was quite a bit of room. The grass is wet and muddy so it wasn't my preference to do that. I'm also having some trouble with my back brake and did not give myself more time to slow down, so I should address that. Going around was clearly the safer thing to do here and that's my take away. Thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's an officially designated off-leash park (on a bike path, in coyote town lol)

:psyduck:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I don't make the rules, I just try to not fall off my bike.

I got bitten in that park. To be fair I was on an e-scooter and so I deserved anything and everything that happened to me, but again - the dog wasn't recallable therefore should not have been off leash.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
It's just a dog. Don't worry about it too much.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What camera is it? I've been thinking about getting one to make a montage of all the dumb poo poo I see commuting.

my wife would never let me ride my bicycle in the city ever again if she saw some of this footage

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

are all dynamo headlights 6v? I don't know anything about electricity but the lamp I was looking at doesn't specify anywhere voltage

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mauser posted:

are all dynamo headlights 6v? I don't know anything about electricity but the lamp I was looking at doesn't specify anywhere voltage

All traditional ones, yes. eBikes have their own sometimes.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
A white LED wants something around 4V, so there's often an integrated step down converter anyway. These are dirt cheap and commonly somewhat intelligent because why not. The last time I bought an e-bike light the specs said 6-72V or some such range of input voltage.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mauser posted:

my wife would never let me ride my bicycle in the city ever again if she saw some of this footage

I'm about to start riding a little bit now that my collarbone is healing well 10 weeks post injury, and thinking about all the dangerous stuff I've dodged makes me question whether it's really a good idea even without the injury.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm still recovering from the AC separation I got from a car jumping in front of me in the bike lane and me smashing into the side going somewhere between 15/20mph. three weeks after that event on my first real bicycle ride, my front wheel got smashed by the most egregious red light runner I've seen in a while: it was red, there were cars stopped at it for a while, the person never slowed down and went around through the empty bus lane to blow through the red just as I entered the intersection. still love biking though lol.

I see so many more cyclists than I ever saw a few years ago so I think that's going in the right direction and maybe eventually we'll have enough mass for people to get used to it, but there's a lot of progress that needs to be made with people not behaving like loving animals when they get in their cars.

stay safe and good luck

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I don't actually plan on stopping this is just the first time the thought ever entered my head.

It did seem like things are going in the right direction like you said but it's highly localized. My city is actively trying to make things safer for cyclists (slowly), but I just got back from Houston and I don't think you could make that city safe for cyclists in 50 years. Outside of a small core area it's more freeway than city.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I don't actually plan on stopping this is just the first time the thought ever entered my head.

It did seem like things are going in the right direction like you said but it's highly localized. My city is actively trying to make things safer for cyclists (slowly), but I just got back from Houston and I don't think you could make that city safe for cyclists in 50 years. Outside of a small core area it's more freeway than city.

A lot of western US cities that saw most of their expansion post-ww2 suffer from sprawling car-focused build-out, and all the goodwill and bike lane money in the world isn't going to fix the fact that everything is miles apart and scaled for cars. You can put a physically separated bike lane on a 6 lane stroad through strip mall land, it'll help a lot, but it's still going to suck and there are still too many parking lots with people trying to turn into and out of them.

Honestly after years of hearing how much of a bike paradise Portland is, I was a bit disappointed when I first went there for this reason (being mostly used to older, denser east coast cities). They have the goodwill and good bike lane design, but the fact is huge swaths of the city were built out in the car era, are zoned single-family-detached (or were until recently), and generally more spread out, the stores almost all have parking lots, etc. You can't fix that with bike lanes, you have to change zoning laws (which they just did!) and disincentivize parking lots and then wait 20 years for the actual development to catch up. Anyway it was still a pleasant city and nice to bike in, and for sure despite the bad urban design, the bike infrastructure helps a ton and saves lives. But it could be so much more.

/rant

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ebikes are extremely common now in Boston, like 1/4 of most bike traffic I see now, and I imagine the metro area's small size makes so many trips within the grasp of someone who didn't have the fitness or commitment to ride a regular bike. Spacing everything out 2-3x would still be prohibitively time-costly for many people even with ebikes.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

How do you get good at uphill :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

you gotta ride a heavy granny bike 50 miles to Akiba every day after school, singing the theme of your favorite magical girl anime to both give you emotional strength and also further work out your lungs

then you too can become a champion climber

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ride up hills, learn to use your gearing to spin at an efficient and comfortable cadence that you can maintain.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've only had 11-28 gearing in the past and I realized the only way I could do extended climbing efforts without gutting myself was to reduce my cadence to a level that felt quite odd for me to begin with.

Probably because I just didn't have the gears? I've got 36 teeth in the back now so I'm kinda excited to see if I can spin up easier.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

kimbo305 posted:

Ebikes are extremely common now in Boston, like 1/4 of most bike traffic I see now, and I imagine the metro area's small size makes so many trips within the grasp of someone who didn't have the fitness or commitment to ride a regular bike. Spacing everything out 2-3x would still be prohibitively time-costly for many people even with ebikes.

I love e-bikes. I barely have to lock my bikes anymore.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Ride a fixie everyday and build yourself thighs like a track cyclist?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah, maybe not to start though! I have a 2.8 gear ratio on my fixed gear and cranking up some of the hills here has given me some pretty beefy thighs :biglips:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Since you're asking in the commuting thread: just get an ebike, OP.

For myself, my commute home is 10km and looks like this:

It's a nice little gently caress you that one of the steepest parts with like a 9 or 10% grade is at the very end. I had a regular bike before and was used to bicycle commuting, but once I moved to this hill I stopped biking until I got the ebike. I'm really not very fit or interested in becoming a fitness cyclist. EU standard 250W/25 kph ebike makes this commute fun and way better than taking the metro.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 12, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

TheFluff posted:

It's a nice little gently caress you that one of the steepest parts with like a 9 or 10% grade is at the very end. I had a regular bike before and was used to bicycle commuting, but once I moved to this hill I stopped biking until I got the ebike. I'm really not very fit or interested in becoming a fitness cyclist. EU standard 250W/25 kph ebike makes this commute fun and way better than taking the metro.

Doesn't seem so drastic in comparison.

It's a very long, steadily increasing stretch. I don't why but it just loving kills.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheFluff posted:

This is kind of comparable to my old commute, and the other lovely part about the uphill at the end, is that when you leave your house in the morning in winter you're freezing cold, since you're just coasting and not working up any body heat yet

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Doesn't seem so drastic in comparison.

It's a very long, steadily increasing stretch. I don't why but it just loving kills.

That honestly doesn't look much better than mine. You're a kilometer up from sea level, and I really don't think I'd handle a long steady climb well either. I wouldn't know how to pace myself, I think. That long climb in the middle that gets steeper near the end looks nasty too.

alnilam posted:

This is kind of comparable to my old commute, and the other lovely part about the uphill at the end, is that when you leave your house in the morning in winter you're freezing cold, since you're just coasting and not working up any body heat yet

It's obnoxious yeah, I'm still trying to figure out clothing that works both ways in winter.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

alnilam posted:

This was my ride home. It's actually quite ideal because in the summer months when it's already 80F/26.5C and swampy humidity early in the morning, going downhill I could almost get there without sweating. The ride home in the evening I would always go sweaty balls to the wall and arrive drenched in sweat. For winter, I rarely needed anything more than a windbreaker and gloves around freezing or just above because it's not too cold and I turn into a furnace when I start pedaling.

edit: total distance was 6.2km for comparison

Mauser fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 12, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TheFluff posted:

I'm still trying to figure out clothing that works both ways in winter.
I don't think it exists. The right amount of clothing means you'll be cold for the first bit, comfy in the middle and sweaty in the end IMO. You can mitigate the sweating a little by opening zippers and such but only so far, and only until it gets too cold for that. E-bike helps me at least since I can pace myself without losing much speed, but on an acoustic bike I tend to ride on the limit of what I can put out since speed is fun. My job is 18km away and there's no way I'd ride that in winter on studded tires without a motor and battery to help me. I'm getting to old. There are a few hills but nothing major but with an ebike who cares. I do it on my road bike every now and then but when I do I need to shower at work and it's just too big a hassle to do it on the daily.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mauser posted:

This was my ride home. It's actually quite ideal because in the summer months when it's already 80F/26.5C and swampy humidity early in the morning, going downhill I could almost get there without sweating. The ride home in the evening I would always go sweaty balls to the wall and arrive drenched in sweat. For winter, I rarely needed anything more than a windbreaker and gloves around freezing or just above because it's not too cold and I turn into a furnace when I start pedaling.

Yeah downhill there / uphill home is nice in the summer for sure. But where I lived at the time it was usually anywhere from 0 to 30 F in the morning commute. So I'd leave my house and freeze on the way down the hill but be fine once I got to the flat and started pedaling, or, if I dressed up for the downhill part I'd get way too hot on the flat part (and being sweaty when it's sub-freezing outside sucks).

The real solution is to change layers partway through but :effort: so I always opted for freezing through the downhill part and being dressed appropriately for the rest

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

alnilam posted:

Yeah downhill there / uphill home is nice in the summer for sure. But where I lived at the time it was usually anywhere from 0 to 30 F in the morning commute. So I'd leave my house and freeze on the way down the hill but be fine once I got to the flat and started pedaling, or, if I dressed up for the downhill part I'd get way too hot on the flat part (and being sweaty when it's sub-freezing outside sucks).

The real solution is to change layers partway through but :effort: so I always opted for freezing through the downhill part and being dressed appropriately for the rest

Yeah sometimes I stop and stuff my jacket in the pannier, but far too often I just tell myself it's only another 5-10 minutes and just sweat to death out of laziness.

I sometimes fantasise about some kind of insane actively controlled heating/cooling jacket, like astronauts wear

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I wear one of those stuffable running jackets with the armpit/side zips, if it's winter I have a base layer under it and everything shut to keep the wind out, and it's good to about -10C, and then in the summer I just wear it for my ride home at night, fully open but so I have some reflective surfaces.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have a very similar commute to those posted; 8.5km each way, a 1km 5% average descent near the start with 10%+ ramp, 80m down total.

And a little bit of draggy gradual climb in the end into the city with ~60 metres of climbing total.

So I hit 50km/h easily in the morning within minutes of leaving my home. Windchill is brutal on hands & (shaved) head in winter but I can get warm at the other end.

I can cope with the cold wearing almost anything on my torso, it’s just hands from a cold early start that are a problem.

Lightweight buff & decent windproof gloves of varying warmth are essential for half the year, clothing wise if I’m adding a layer just for the commute, it’s hiking wind jacket (Pertex or something), ultra light and packable. I have a grid fleece lined one for real cold weather too.

Or just a long sleeve Roubaix jersey I can unzip is perfect most of the time if wearing full cycling gear.

But I often now commute in normal clothes apart from the jacket unless I’m planning to do a training ride straight after work, or it’s raining hard. In which case it’s better to be underdressed overall so I don’t sweat through my shirt by arrival.

Almost never worth bothering with waterproof anything on such a short ride, and I’m lucky to have showers, lockers, and even a drying cupboard at work if needed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

wooger posted:

But I often now commute in normal clothes apart from the jacket unless I’m planning to do a training ride straight after work, or it’s raining hard. In which case it’s better to be underdressed overall so I don’t sweat through my shirt by arrival.

Almost never worth bothering with waterproof anything on such a short ride, and I’m lucky to have showers, lockers, and even a drying cupboard at work if needed.

I've given up trying to stay any sort of dry on my commute having access to a drying room (yes room! It's like a giant rich person's walk in closet with a space heater and dehumidifier fighting each other).

As long as it's not raining on multiple consecutive days my shoes get a chance to dry out, and I pull my old ones out and rotate if it's been too wet too many days in a row. I don't have to deal with freezing temperatures though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Splode posted:

Yeah sometimes I stop and stuff my jacket in the pannier, but far too often I just tell myself it's only another 5-10 minutes and just sweat to death out of laziness.

I experience a similar effect with respect to rain pants and whether to stop and put them on