Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
As much as I like that approach, the smarter move is to take the Manhattan Bridge for nearly any trip between Brooklyn and Manhattan, except if you know the Brooklyn Bridge will be empty. The clapping of the wood planks over the main span is beautiful.

Another option for narrow paths is being ready to off-road a bit. Not practical in all weather, but it's also nice practice if you're ever forced off road for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Is this a pedestrian

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah when it comes to kids, anyone under about 16, just assume that their mission is to leap into your path and try and jam their limbs in between the spokes of your wheels

They're like lumbering squrrels. Sometimes they freeze in their tracks, other times they unexpectedly dart in front of you

Goes double for any kid under about 6

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

none of this is even 10% of the peril of a dog on an extender lead in poor visibility

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Is this a pedestrian

That is a force of nature.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Saw this beaut on Craigslist for 200.. I already have a couple bikes but this one just looks so drat comfy I'd probably ride alot more. Plus mustache bars

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a red 70s motobecane that looked just like that... Very plush ride. Bike weighed about 36 lbs, soaked up road bumps like buttah

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That is a force of nature.

You can see how many times they attempted capturing that shot from the tire marks on the sidewalk.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

none of this is even 10% of the peril of a dog on an extender lead in poor visibility
It is hard for me to articulate how much I hate retracto-leads. I tend to judge how much space to give based on how long a leash is. Just cut your goddamn anklebiter dog loose if you aren't keeping the lead locked.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

CopperHound posted:

It is hard for me to articulate how much I hate retracto-leads. I tend to judge how much space to give based on how long a leash is. Just cut your goddamn anklebiter dog loose if you aren't keeping the lead locked.

There are laws here about how long a leash can be which dog-owners ignore. Ask the ligature scars on my wrists how that goes for cyclists!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i keep my dog on a retractor but it stays short unless we're in like a forest or something where bikes and runners aren't

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i keep my dog on a retractor but it stays short unless we're in like a forest or something where bikes and runners aren't

buddy, just wait til I tell you about mountain bikes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

XIII posted:

buddy, just wait til I tell you about mountain bikes

i mountain bike. i know where people bike near me

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i mountain bike. i know where people bike near me

as a fellow mtb-er, I yield to dogs over all things

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I miss being able to stop and pet trail dogs in the before times :smith:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My wife and I have basically just avoided trails and hiking since this whole thing began due to the confined space you're walking down, but I don't know if this is really rational. She goes running in areas with a lot of space and I wear my mask while riding in the bike lane and parks.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 15, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hi fellow bike commuters.

I have a floppy pedal problem. My non-drive side crank arm to the bottom axle slips when I bear down on it going uphill. It's a new bike but with an old school steel clamp-on crank. I think maybe I lost a washer or something the first time it happened and i took the crank arm off by the side of the road to try and fix it and it feels like I might have stripped the thread a little too, there was a bit of swarf in there. Is this something I can fix with teflon tape and spite or is it going to cost a little more?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Slips as in the two crank arms go from 180 deg apart to some other angle? Is it loose when you jiggle the crank by hand?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the arm on the one side will slip out of position, so they can go from 180 to 45 or less depending on how much weight I'm putting on them. The 2 clamp bolts have been tightened as much as I can by hand, I'm just unsure if maybe I've stripped the thread on the BB spindle

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kecske posted:

180 to 45

The 2 clamp bolts have been tightened as much as I can by hand, I'm just unsure if maybe I've stripped the thread on the BB spindle

Yeah, that spindle end is gonna be metal dust when you unbolt. Take a pic and report to the repair thread, but going by the 2 bolts, I'm guess it's Shimano and you'll need a new crankset.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Please take lots of pics, I wanna see this.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
What the.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

It sounds like cottered cranks if they're old steel ones. Change the cranks and bottom bracket please.

SimonSays fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 18, 2020

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

You can just change the cotter pins but please don't keep cottered cranks alive, they always sucked.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

SimonSays posted:

It sounds like cottered cranks if they're old steel ones. Change the cranks and bottom bracket please.

After some poking around it turns out the pinch bolts on the crank arm are a few mm too long and were bottoming out before they were getting tight enough. The axle splines on the outer third on each side had worn down while the middle third was weirdly fine? A bit of wrapping the axle with silver tape took up some of the wear, and putting in a small spring washer on the pinch bolts means the crank arm holds a lot better now.

I'll have to order a new crankset though and I guess threaded bottom bracket. What's good on a budget?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kecske posted:

After some poking around it turns out the pinch bolts on the crank arm are a few mm too long and were bottoming out before they were getting tight enough. The axle splines on the outer third on each side had worn down while the middle third was weirdly fine? A bit of wrapping the axle with silver tape took up some of the wear, and putting in a small spring washer on the pinch bolts means the crank arm holds a lot better now.

I'll have to order a new crankset though and I guess threaded bottom bracket. What's good on a budget?

gonna need you to post some kind of more detailed information if you want help.
like pics.
The range of what is a reasonable budget depends entirely on the type of crank you need.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's all stock shimano. Hollowtech BB, r2000 compact gearset (50x34T). I was pretty happy with how it felt to ride with. I guess my priority is just something a little more durable that doesnt explode into shards under my corpulent mass

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's no way the stock bolts would be too long, unless something else is severely hosed up, which it might be.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The bolt holes go all the way through though on that crank? I don't see how they could bottom out. What are they bottoming out on? What's wrong with your bottom bracket that you need to replace it? Also post pics.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kecske posted:

it's all stock shimano. Hollowtech BB, r2000 compact gearset (50x34T). I was pretty happy with how it felt to ride with. I guess my priority is just something a little more durable that doesnt explode into shards under my corpulent mass

A new BB is cheap - like $20?
A new crankset of the same model should be like $75 or so. Finding it in stock might be hard.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah definitely want to see pics, something is very wrong, those bolts can't bottom out

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's nearly midnight here and the bike is locked up downstairs in the communal cage outside my apartment block. maybe I'm not using the right phrase? When I wind the pinch bolts in (the two that go in opposite each other) they go all the way until the bottom of the head of the bolt is sitting flush with the top of the internal thread and you can see them begin to show at the other side, but they keep turning with the allen key without getting tight. When I put a spring washer on each side and wound the bolts in you could feel the resistance building as they bedded in. Are the threads for the bolts in the crank arm itself stripped maybe?

kecske fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 18, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kemikalkadet posted:

The bolt holes go all the way through though on that crank? I don't see how they could bottom out. What are they bottoming out on? What's wrong with your bottom bracket that you need to replace it? Also post pics.

I don't expect much when dealing with someone who managed to mangle a hefty splined interface, who still hasn't posted photos despite requests.

e: I guess we have our answer. He stripped the threads on the crank, bolts or both.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 19, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a mount that can attach a U-lock to a rack?

There’s this two-fish Velcro thing that I’m tempted to just make with webbing myself because come on $30?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You can get them directly from China for a couple bucks each. I can't remember the search term I used but I have a bag of them from a long time ago when I used to use flashlights as bicycle headlights. I used the ones with a 90 degree offset for mounting lights on my handlebars, and the ones without the offset for mounting things like locks and pumps.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

tuyop posted:

Any recommendations for a mount that can attach a U-lock to a rack?

There’s this two-fish Velcro thing that I’m tempted to just make with webbing myself because come on $30?

Here's one of those on eBay for $12 shipped within the US. Dunno if that's going to work with you looking to be in Canada. There are others for a few bucks more.

I tried but couldn't figure out the keywords Coxswain Balls is talking about. That definitely looks like one of those products you can buy direct from China for even less.

I personally just buckle my u lock to the pannier I take when commuting.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 19, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32811840685.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32995956761.html

Bike LED flashlight strap mount torch fixed clip bicycle helmet gun lock block holder universal

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Baby got a new ride today

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

leftist heap posted:

Thats so cool, its probably a blast to ride in those things since you`re so low to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

leftist heap posted:

How much do those trailers weigh? Gonna get one eventually once I got a kid