Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Clark Nova posted:

the root cause of this is a severe lack of public spaces that are physically separated from cars and traffic

I dunno, might be the same root as why they bought an animal specifically for its emotional dependence...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

It is a bike path.

The MUTCD would probably call it a "mixed-use path", and they are problematic for essentially the reasons you outlined in your post.

If you expect inline skating on your mixed-use path, you have to design it 8 feet wide. No other user requires so much width. But the MUTCD doesn't have a calculation for people walking eight dogs at the same time.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

cruft posted:

The MUTCD would probably call it a "mixed-use path", and they are problematic for essentially the reasons you outlined in your post.

If you expect inline skating on your mixed-use path, you have to design it 8 feet wide. No other user requires so much width. But the MUTCD doesn't have a calculation for people walking eight dogs at the same time.

A small retractable leash from PetSmart is 16 feet, so the path needs to be 32 feet wide so they can walk down the middle

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Ban retractable leashes. I walked my dog with a 6' repurposed climbing rope for 9 years and it was great, no need for anything longer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Ban retractable leashes. I walked my dog with a 6' repurposed climbing rope for 9 years and it was great, no need for anything longer.

The cool thing about climbing rope leashes is that if you one day need a shorter leash, like, say you're going to an open-air market, well, you just put an Alpine Butterfly Loop in there real quick, and you're all set.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Maximum leash length here is 2m and yet that doesn't stop the kind of person whose dogs are a selfish accessory, and I've got the ligature scars on my wrists from getting clotheslined to prove it

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

cruft posted:

The cool thing about climbing rope leashes is that if you one day need a shorter leash, like, say you're going to an open-air market, well, you just put an Alpine Butterfly Loop in there real quick, and you're all set.

It's really easy and comfortable to clip it around your shoulder when pups off leash, held up to all kinds of abuse and still looks good. We said goodbye to our dog a few weeks ago and I can see us using the same leash if ever get another dog, 100% recommend.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

raggedphoto posted:

The worst are those working dog leashs, which have gotten really popular in nature preserves and bike paths. They're up to 15 m long.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
people around here walk their dogs without leashes so get ready for that poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

I added some festive string lights to my bike a week ago since my ride home is always in the dark and I thought it would be cheerful with added visibility. Well the first night I had drunk bros heckle me about my Christmas lights and a few days later I was run off the road by a driver who wanted to tell me he liked my lights. I am not using them anymore…
JFC I have lights on mine and have never had anything but positive interactions.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
A lot of dog owners are terrible these days. Move to a tough area for roadmen and their unleashed weapon dogs, or a bougie one for 2020 on-a-whim dog owners whose buyers' remorse is very evident in their carelessness.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

evil_bunnY posted:

JFC I have lights on mine and have never had anything but positive interactions.

The guy that ran me off the road I am pretty sure was high as gently caress and was attracted to the "pretty lights"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Al2001 posted:

A lot of dog owners are terrible these days. Move to a tough area for roadmen and their unleashed weapon dogs, or a bougie one for 2020 on-a-whim dog owners whose buyers' remorse is very evident in their carelessness.
My father in law carries bear spray for this exact issue, and has had to use it too many times to count. It’s absurd.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I wiped out at high speed today. I was going down this pretty steep hill (car road not bike lane or MUP) that is always poorly plowed - has been all winter, is every winter. It's been alright with firm packed snow for weeks, but this afternoon it was thawing a bit and it was softer and slicker than I expected. I got stuck in a wheel rut I couldn't turn out of when I needed to for balance, so I just tipped over at maybe 35 km/h and went sliding. Nothing hurt, nothing broken, not even a bruise, the biggest annoyance other than hurt pride was dirty snow spray on the goggles (luckily I was unobserved, it's always embarrassing to fall but moreso when people are watching IMO) . Still food for though, winter biking can be very unforgiving. There are conditions when I fully expect to take a spill and ride accordingly but I didn't expect it today.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You can end up eating poo poo when you least expect it.

My rear wheel slipped out from under me at low speed when I was coming into the garage at work a couple weeks ago and I hosed up both my hands in the fall (dislocated thumb and a possible broken hamate bone).

It wasn't even icy, just a little damp out.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah I usually fall at least a few times every winter, usually at low speed though. Today's spill was just really spectacular is all. Glad I didn't get hurt, I've had my wrist in a splint for a while after I banged it up when using a large wood chipper and just got to take it off full time and I'd hate to go through that again or anything similar. Two messed up hands at the same time must be terrible :(

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

I did an Endo for no frickin' reason at 4mph on smooth concrete in front of the entire marching band.

Couldn't get out of bed for two days, I was so sore. Wear your helmets, kids.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Invalido posted:

Two messed up hands at the same time must be terrible :(

I do not recommend the experience! Turns out a lot of things I enjoy doing assume both of them are working, who knew?

I am at least still semi-functional. No casts so far, just splints, and I'm hoping to keep it that way. It's also been fun watching people's expressions when I tell them I popped the thumb back into place myself.

cruft posted:

I did an Endo for no frickin' reason at 4mph on smooth concrete in front of the entire marching band.

Couldn't get out of bed for two days, I was so sore. Wear your helmets, kids.

Oh yeah, it would have been way more gnarly if I hadn't been wearing my (practically brand new, lmao) helmet, which now has a nice big scrape but did its job admirably.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

I do not recommend the experience! Turns out a lot of things I enjoy doing assume both of them are working, who knew?

I am at least still semi-functional. No casts so far, just splints, and I'm hoping to keep it that way. It's also been fun watching people's expressions when I tell them I popped the thumb back into place myself.

Oh yeah, it would have been way more gnarly if I hadn't been wearing my (practically brand new, lmao) helmet, which now has a nice big scrape but did its job admirably.

If you hit the helmet, you need another new helmet now :(

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Helter Skelter posted:

My rear wheel slipped out from under me at low speed when I was coming into the garage at work a couple weeks ago and I hosed up both my hands in the fall (dislocated thumb and a possible broken hamate bone).

It wasn't even icy, just a little damp out.

I feel you - had a head on collision with a 12yo on his bike who popped out into the road from behind a parked truck 5 weeks ago

He took a shoulder to the chest from a 40yo at 20kph... No injuries.

I ended up with my thumb trapped between the bikes and got this for my troubles:

Turns out thumbs are useful, getting it crushed is not something I can recommend

Edit: also ruined my forks, saddle rails, brake levers, font wheel and scratched up various carbon bits like handlebars.

norp fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2024

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There’s a light dusting of snow on the ground and multiple coworkers are making a big deal about me biking in. My manager offered to give me a ride home. Should I accept?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

norp posted:

I feel you - had a head on collision with a 12yo on his bike who popped out into the road from behind a parked truck 5 weeks ago

He took a shoulder to the chest from a 40yo at 20kph... No injuries.

I ended up with my thumb trapped between the bikes and got this for my troubles:

Turns out thumbs are useful, getting it crushed is not something I can recommend

Edit: also ruined my forks, saddle rails, brake levers, font wheel and scratched up various carbon bits like handlebars.

I hope you’re suing the poo poo out of that kid

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

GI Joe jobs posted:

There’s a light dusting of snow on the ground and multiple coworkers are making a big deal about me biking in. My manager offered to give me a ride home. Should I accept?
No, IMO you should ride your bike and just take it a bit easy until you get a feel for the grip. It's sort of fun in a way sliding around a bit and trying to stay on the right side of whats possible. If you plan on riding on snow and ice on the regular you should probably get suitable tires made for the task though.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Ya I’m confident in my ability to ride a bike, it’s harder handling people’s assumption that I didn’t do it on purpose.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I get a bit of that too, though most people are used to it by now. A close colleague winter rides as well so I'm not alone, and he's known for being a very sensible person which gives me a bit of an alibi of sorts. Most people at work (and society in general) suffer from car brain of course.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Invalido posted:

I get a bit of that too, though most people are used to it by now. A close colleague winter rides as well so I'm not alone, and he's known for being a very sensible person which gives me a bit of an alibi of sorts. Most people at work (and society in general) suffer from car brain of course.

I bike year round and I regularly get, "You biked today in this!?" from the same co-workers every time its a overly rainy day. I live in Portland, OR.

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 11, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

I bike year round and I regularly get, "You biked today in this!?" from the same co-works every time its a overly rainy day. I live in Portland, OR.

That made me feel like a cool guy for the first week, and then it was, like, holy crap how long have you lived in Seattle?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I'd rather bike in 40 degree pouring rain than 90+ degree sunny days but yeah at first I felt like a rock star now it's just annoying. "Yes I biked today, I bike everyday you know this.."

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Today it snowed more than forecasted but I appreciate the adventure of it. My fenders jammed up when I hit deeper snow though, which is a first. They cleared once I got out of the grassy trail.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I used to have a cool commute

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I wiped out at high speed today. I was going down this pretty steep hill (car road not bike lane or MUP) that is always poorly plowed - has been all winter, is every winter. It's been alright with firm packed snow for weeks, but this afternoon it was thawing a bit and it was softer and slicker than I expected. I got stuck in a wheel rut I couldn't turn out of when I needed to for balance, so I just tipped over at maybe 35 km/h and went sliding. Nothing hurt, nothing broken, not even a bruise, the biggest annoyance other than hurt pride was dirty snow spray on the goggles (luckily I was unobserved, it's always embarrassing to fall but moreso when people are watching IMO) . Still food for though, winter biking can be very unforgiving. There are conditions when I fully expect to take a spill and ride accordingly but I didn't expect it today.
Glad you're ok!
Every winter I get mad at the city for not understanding that they need to plow again when conditions changes or every few days to re-surface the snow. I swear these motherfuckers do not ride ever.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 12, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
To be fair, it really depends on the municipality. My spill happened in Stockholm because they suck, but Huddinge has been on point this winter. What I've seen of their main cycling route network this season has been nearly flawless (huge improvement compared to last year's fiasco)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Stockholm stad was significantly worse than last winter in the innestaden. Even Solna stad was doing better than them on the routes I take through it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

trilobite terror posted:

I hope you’re suing the poo poo out of that kid

You must be an American where this is a life-changing financial event

Had I used the public system it would have been $0 (instead of my fancy private insurance cover... which for some dumb reason ends up costing $1500. Only difference is that I get fancy doctors instead of the completely green trainees that I got to see in the ER)

As for the bike - it's a $500 frame from 2012 so literally worthless. I'll build up something new when my bones are done healing and I have a new thumbnail. In fact I think the frame is fine because it's a crappy hi-ten steel thing without butting.

Talking to a lawyer would likely cost me at *least* $2k let alone making it to any kind of mediation or lawsuit.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Ugh, nearly got wiped out by a taxi driver. It was 10 m from the entrance of our country's largest hospital, though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

To be fair, it really depends on the municipality. My spill happened in Stockholm because they suck, but Huddinge has been on point this winter. What I've seen of their main cycling route network this season has been nearly flawless (huge improvement compared to last year's fiasco)
all of december our streets resembled a war zone because they diverted the money to something else. Who needs plowing in december right?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

they diverted the money to something else.
I'm guessing tax cuts for rich people and also the illegal kind of corruption. I've heard rumors about the contract Stocholm bought for snow clearing. Not sure if true and I'm not going to flashback forum to read about it for myself but it's clearly not a good deal for the people who need to use the streets.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I'm guessing tax cuts for rich people and also the illegal kind of corruption. I've heard rumors about the contract Stocholm bought for snow clearing. Not sure if true and I'm not going to flashback forum to read about it for myself but it's clearly not a good deal for the people who need to use the streets.
2 days after the first snow the orthopedic department called the loving news to announce they were full lmao. We used to make poo poo in this country.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Groda posted:

Ugh, nearly got wiped out by a taxi driver. It was 10 m from the entrance of our country's largest hospital, though.

Please tell us you slammed your fists on the hood of the taxi and exclaimed, "I'm cyclin' here!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
-15c this morning, right at my arbitrary pain limit so I rode to work. My new for the season gear (balaclava, shoes, gloves) performed perfectly, but the shifting was sluggish. I'll have to look into that.