Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

me your dad posted:

My commute is the only thing I miss about going into the office :(

Same here even though it is only 1.5 miles each way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

iospace posted:

Effort post on winter commuting inbound.

My personal advice on winter commuting:

Others are welcome to chime in.

My advice (jokingly)

1) Move to Denver, What is snow?
2) If it snows...work from home and wait 1 day for it to melt.

Studded tires are clutch though.

Other thoughts:

Bike lights, Cygolite is the only way to go if it is USB IMO.

Aldantefax that 11 mile commute seems pretty chill. Shower at work, keep your clothes and shoes there, just bring socks and undies each day. I did 12 miles with more climbing for over a year before moving 1.5 miles from work. you should be able to cut that down to under 45 min if you don't have a ton of traffic lights to deal with.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Then just bike in the snow, since it's apparently not up to your standard of "real" snow, you punk.

I mean I usually do. But if it is real bad then just bring home the laptop. Although now I work from home for....ever? who knows.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have been doing tuesday/thursday mountain bike rides, it is awesome. Start at 5:45 and back and working by 8.

Also on the 11 mile commute I think that is a pretty solid use case for an e-bike.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can I move there

We have a seriously impressive bus system here, but thousands of students still commute by car every morning, clogging up the roads. Just a solid wall of cars driven by people who are hungover and late for class.

The obligatory sorry man Colorado is full.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imo the easiest way to make it go faster would be to change out the tires from 38 to like 25 or 28.

I would not do this but I like fat tire commuters. 32 min, 40's are much better.

Sab669 posted:

But the real reason I'm posting ITT today: Does anyone have any advice for storing a bike outside? It's a pain carrying it in and out of my apartment, and I don't really have anywhere good to put it so it's just been awkwardly chilling in my living room. My back yard is basically just a cement square so I was thinking just a tarp should be fine? Should I also spray it occasionally with some sort of insect repellent so no jerk spiders set up shop under my seat or whatever?

Your bike is fine for riding around a few miles. Keep your bike in your apartment, mount it on the wall, hang it, etc. Ride more and your climbing will get better. so win win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Leng posted:

If you don't feel comfortable putting a small baby in a trailer where you don't have visibility, look into front mounted seats. My daughter LOVED it, because she got to see everything, pretend she's driving and play with the bell. They can start going into the baby seats once they have good head control and their necks are strong enough to support them.

You need to keep the rides short and time it around nap time if they're in a baby seat though, because it's not safe for them to sleep in a baby seat.

I see guys out on mountain bike trails with the iBert all the time. The kids look like they are having a blast.