Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nobody Interesting posted:

How do you get good at uphill :(

Since you're asking in the commuting thread: just get an ebike, OP.

For myself, my commute home is 10km and looks like this:

It's a nice little gently caress you that one of the steepest parts with like a 9 or 10% grade is at the very end. I had a regular bike before and was used to bicycle commuting, but once I moved to this hill I stopped biking until I got the ebike. I'm really not very fit or interested in becoming a fitness cyclist. EU standard 250W/25 kph ebike makes this commute fun and way better than taking the metro.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nobody Interesting posted:

Doesn't seem so drastic in comparison.

It's a very long, steadily increasing stretch. I don't why but it just loving kills.

That honestly doesn't look much better than mine. You're a kilometer up from sea level, and I really don't think I'd handle a long steady climb well either. I wouldn't know how to pace myself, I think. That long climb in the middle that gets steeper near the end looks nasty too.

alnilam posted:

This is kind of comparable to my old commute, and the other lovely part about the uphill at the end, is that when you leave your house in the morning in winter you're freezing cold, since you're just coasting and not working up any body heat yet

It's obnoxious yeah, I'm still trying to figure out clothing that works both ways in winter.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Complaining into the void: the office landlord at work has apparently decided to repurpose the bicycle parking room starting on Tuesday next week, so it looks like we're getting kicked out onto the street as far as bike parking goes. They claim to be looking into a new solution but welp, guess I'll be a lot less at the office until that's sorted!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

evil_bunnY posted:

repurpose into what?

Something that pays rent, presumably. Storage, I think? There are some tenants in the same building that probably need storage space.