Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bicievino posted:

Oh sure, maybe, but look at this fuckin' thing.

Like, I'm struggling to think why someone wouldn't want to wear a sweetass accessory. I guess folks who don't want to muss their hairdos?

drat you. I've been eyeing Abus lids a lot lately and this ain't helpin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

iospace posted:

3. You're probably dressed too warmly.

So, let's explain a bit.

3. How do you know you're too warm? You're sweating. That runs the risk of cooling you off too much and hypothermia. It takes some trial and error to get the right balance of warm and cold. My usual rule of thumb is to go one or two layers lighter than if I were walking.

My 2c: be chilly the first stage of your ride 'cause you'll warm up quickly. I've learned that having the thought, "I'm nice and warm," during the first mile means I'm going to be thinking, "gently caress, I'm too hot" before I make it to the office. Plus, a little crisp winter air wakes you up better than any coffee.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

My advice (jokingly)

1) Move to Denver, What is snow?
2) If it snows...work from home and wait 1 day for it to melt.

Then just bike in the snow, since it's apparently not up to your standard of "real" snow, you punk.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I mean I usually do. But if it is real bad then just bring home the laptop. Although now I work from home for....ever? who knows.

I'm gonna bike to your apartment and throw snowballs at your balcony

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

One of the few small perks of still working from my office is that I still get to ride to/from my office.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

this is my sole consolation about going back to work soon. otoh all the streets are going to be packed with campus reopening, so I lose my spacious empty streets.

From what I've observed (having ridden to work every day since all this started), they're largely back to normal anyway

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I work on a large campus that's shared by three colleges and live across town next to a fourth, separate college, so HA

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i keep my dog on a retractor but it stays short unless we're in like a forest or something where bikes and runners aren't

buddy, just wait til I tell you about mountain bikes

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i mountain bike. i know where people bike near me

as a fellow mtb-er, I yield to dogs over all things

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

slicing up eyeballs posted:

help I live in hell and it's consistently >90°F, what can I do to keep my commutes and recreational rides from killing me

Hydrate

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK, tell me how to make this work in the rain. It rained non-stop for a month when I first tried to start bike commuting in February. It was dry all summer while I was quarantined. Now I'm back at work and it's raining every day again.

Fenders, rain jacket, what else? Hat?

This biggest thing, IMO, is having a way to keep your work clothes/stuff dry and just accepting that you're gonna get wet. I'll throw on a rain shell and shoe covers (wet feet are THE WORST) and maaaaaybe a folding fender, but really you just have to make peace with getting soaked. As long as you can change into dry clothing once you get to work, riding in the rain can actually be super fun. Changing back into wet clothes for the ride home can be kinda sucky, but once you get back out into the elements it stops mattering.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I keep a set of these roll up fenders in my bag for unexpected rainy rides. They aren't perfect, but they'll help keep you dry-ish while also being easy enough to keep on hand. https://musguard.com/

If I start the day knowing I'm going to be riding in the wet, I'll go with one of these, which is largely the same in concept, but better in practice. I used to keep this in my bag, but the ones from Musguard are slightly more packable https://rear end-savers.com/products/fendor-bendor-4-regular

Neither are as good as REAL fenders, but I'm riding a track bike most days, so I can't run REAL fenders anyway.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm actually with Entropist on this one and think that everyone who rides a bike differently than me is wrong.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^hell yes

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

I dont think ill have to commute again until spring at the earliest. I'll pour a little cocoa out thinking about yalls winter rides

I'm jealous. I'm still grinding it out every day. Despite the shorter, colder days and the entire goddamn state being on fire, it still beats driving.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

MacPac posted:

Got rained on hard on todays commute, equal amounts rain and splashing from passing cars. Found out that my fav arcteryx jacket somehow pools water 2-3 cm high in the breastpockets. Other then that it was easy going with plenty of wool on, exchanged some thumbs ups and grins with the other bad rear end people commuting on bikes.

Nothin' better than meeting a fellow cycle commuter on a day where the weather is absolute dogshit and exchanging that little "hell yeah" nod

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mauser posted:

Never take a day off bike commuting

Been a little over 3 years since I've taken anything but a bike to/from work. Gotta keep the streak!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, after an 11 day stay-cation, I'm back to commuting. Bought a new car during the break, but, as with my previous one, I hope to never use it to get it work. I did some quick math and realized riding to work these last few years has saved over $4k in parking fees.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, I bought my Journeyman last year (and have put 1,200mi on it, so it's basically paid itself back, right?) and am now contemplating picking up a Mash steel frame come May, so

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I've reached a point where each new bike in basically requires me to get rid of an older one, most of which aren't nice enough to really bother trying to get much out of, so they typically end up on craigslist as a "gimme enough cash to cover a fri night bar tab and the bike's yours" deal.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^yeah, that's what I was gonna suggest. You can get a free standing bike rack for pretty cheap, then put a drip tray or cheap rug below it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCJ5H3W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_a-L9Fb9A75S62

I've got one similar to this in my living room that I really like. I have one bike hanging on it and a second one below it on the floor (since I have a frame bag). Just take the lower arms off (or, better yet, get a second bike)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A friend of mine kept her bike locked up outside her apartment with a u-lock. One night some scumbag tried to cut through the lock, but couldn't, so they just cut her frame in half and left it lying on the sidewalk.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A few months ago, on my ride to work, there was a pair of city employees shoveling the snow off the sidewalk, directly into the bike lane. Just fantastic.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sauer posted:

Your cities clear snow off bike infrastructure? The large boulevard I need to take every day got renovated over the late summer to fall to add protected bike lanes to either side between the road and sidewalk. They're really nice... and currently storing all the snow they shoveled off the road and sidewalks.

Oof, if that ain't the truth. Denver is pretty good at clearing the MUPs into downtown, but all the bike lanes, protected or not, mostly serve as snow retention zones during the winter months.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Trying to understand it I guess the question they ask is just how many people are actually going to brave the elements in below freezing weather, the snow and the ice? I suppose an argument could be made at that point, that if there's so much snow, then the bike line has a crucial role to play for run-off, and with those sort of conditions drivers should be going slower anyways minimizing the risks to the few cyclists.

Trying to think how a city council would justify the action and cost really.

Denver is full of cyclist hardasses and DUI havers, so quite a few

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you store it outside, keep it as tucked away as possible and put multiple locks on it. Like, enough locks that it's a hassle for you, much less a thief. Bike theft is mostly a crime of opportunity, so your average thief isn't going to gently caress with cutting 2 u-locks AND a chain just to steal a mid-range bike. Also, get some sort of security bolts for your seatpost and a small cable for your saddle. Or maybe get a QR seatpost clamp and take your post/saddle inside with you (cover the whole to prevent rain/stuff from getting in the frame). There was an AMA on reddit that I saw once where a former bike thief was talking about how he basically wouldn't even consider taking a bike if he couldn't ride it away. Someone even asked him about "what if I loosened my stem, turned the bars, and tightened them back down sideways" and he was basically like, "i'd have the tools to fix it, but that's just one more thing I'd have to gently caress with before I could bolt, so I probably wouldn't bother. There are always easier bikes to steal."

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sauer posted:

Wash your bike folks.

NEVER.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Actually, I recently bought one of those gardening hand pump sprayer thingys so I can spray off my bike in the winter (since our outdoor hookup is turned off). Finally had a chance to use it last night and was pleasantly surprised by how well it works. Well worth the ten bucks

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Are your pants waterproof and do they go past the top of your shoes?

lol no because they were shorts

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, looks like I'm moving into a new place that will cut my ride to the office from 6mi to 3mi. That's great and all, but a part of me is honestly bummed to be losing those extra miles.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm good about tacking miles onto my ride home, but I will never wake up early enough to not have to sprint the shortest route possible

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I love all the streets that are closed to traffic to make space for outdoor dining. I hope they never reopen.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I never found biking in the city too intimidating, but I think a lot of that was having spent years with a motorcycle as my only means of transportation back when I lived in Arkansas (where the weather would let you get away with that). They're very different forms of transportation, but the "everyone hates you, no one sees you" mentality is the same.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I went for the ground floor apartment so I wouldn't have to lug bikes up/down the stairs anymore (also it's easier on my aging dog). The noise from my upstairs neighbor was a small price that I was willing to pay. I've got a free storage locker on-site, but it's not quite big enough to fit bikes in. I've got my dirt jumper wedged in there, but I have to remove the front wheel and finagle it into place. Also, moving into the new space meant slimming down the bike lineup a bit. Sold the road bike and bmx a few weeks back, since they barely ever got ridden anyway. Last week I decided to sell the fat bike, since it takes up a buncha space and I basically only ride it for snowy commutes (a job that will now fall on my Timberjack). That said, the fat bike probably get replaced by some other silly bike (Surly Lowside?) at some point, so that's a wash.

Speaking of snowy commutes, snapped this on the way in today:

Best thing about Denver is the snow'll be gone tomorrow

XIII fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 25, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'm very aware that it's in no way, shape, or form secure in there. The lockers are all in the laundry room, so there's at least a locked door between them and the world, but I wouldn't put anything in them that I would be overly upset to lose. I got the dj for cheap and rarely ride it, so I'm not losing sleep over it living out there. I'd only ever hoped to stash it and maybe my "spare" fixie in there anyway.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Another win for being a bike commuter: your car can get vandalized over the weekend and not totally gently caress you over because you can still get to work. (although the 2ft of snow we got on Sunday made it a bit less fun)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Now to figure out if a front rack is useful or style points.

Since my car is currently in the shop, I put my front rack to use for the first time since I got it a few months back and did my grocery shopping via bike this week. It ruled. Also, style points!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I cannot stress this enough: Hell. Yes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just gotta hit it with more speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

RAMMING SPEED