Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Leng posted:

Lots of great advice!

More great advice!

This is a superb post and I'd like to petition that it be included in or near the OP in some way. At the very least, the pic provided in the quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The backordered microshift brifters showed up on the same day as our first snow, so I get to convert my commuter to drop bars and (if the weather sticks) studded tires together. I got the first half of that done last night, and it's looking like the stem I got is way too long, but it was also free from a spare parts bin, so I'm not too upset. I'm planning to grab another one cheap secondhand and deal with the long reach until it comes, since my commute is all of a few blocks. I should really snag some new brake pads while I'm at it.

My first impressions of the microshifters is that they're not too shabby. I really only have my time with 105 5700 to compare them to, but I'd say they're a little chunkier to shift with a bit longer throw to actuate, but pretty sturdy feeling and they do shift nice and cleanly, a bit of a surprise with the old 90s 7 speed derailleurs. It might just be that the old grip shifts that were on it were so worn out that everything feels great by comparison though. They were easy enough to install and came with cables and housings as well, which I didn't expect.

I'll throw up some before and after pics once the transformation is complete.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
As promised, here's the before and after so far on my commuter/ around town bike, in preparation for tomorrow's forecasted 6" of snow:

Before:

After:

Still needs new brake pads and a much shorter stem, but it's rideable while I sort all that out. The parts I threw on were the quill to threadless stem converter, the free 120mm Orbea stem, and the 42 cm wide compact drops I took off my road bike. The fenders are the same Portland Design Works ones I used last year, the tires are the same 45North Gravdals I used last year.

I kind of also want to find a way to further modify the front fender to reduce interference with the shift cables, but it hasn't felt like it's having a noticeable effect yet, so I guess I don't feel too pressured to do it. Once the reach is more manageable I might drop the handlebars down a bit further too, I'll have to see how it feels.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Work has announced plans to move back to an office-centric work culture and even announced subsidies equivalent to $850 for people coming back. The catch? It's in the form of free car parking for paid spots—the many, many employees who walk, bike, or bus get squat.

I've had someone argue that they wanted to give people a grace period to see whether they still want to have the spot, but all the garages have months long waiting periods. If someone isn't sure they want the spot anymore, they should pay for it while deliberating.

Get the employees who bike to pool the cost of a spot + equipment, and then just plop a bike rack/cage there.

Only kind of kidding. It'd be rad, but I don't live in a real city and I don't know how illegal/theft attracting that might actually be.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Serendipitaet posted:

I'm looking to convert my old 26" hardtail MTB into my main commuter/tooling around town bike. First thing I need are new tires, as the current ones are nearly worn out. I'm seeing decent prices for Conti Contact Speed in 42-59, anyone got experience with those or a recommendation? Riding probably 70% tarmac and 30% unpaved bike paths, plus it gets really wet later in the season.

I did a similar thing with my fully rigid 26"er for about a similar ratio of tarmac vs. loose gravel/section lines, and I've been happy with Schwalbe hurricanes. I don't know how fast-rolling they are compared to other tires and they ain't the lightest, but traction is reasonable in the loose stuff and the smooth center tread feels nice on pavement.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've seen recommendations for frame bags (I think in this thread) before, but I don't remember brands/makers outside of ortlieb. What are people's favorites?

I'm not sure what to call the kind I'm looking for, maybe a half-frame bag? Attached to the top tube and filling half-ish the triangle so I can still fit one bottle in a cage.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Those oveja negra wack pack frame bags look fun and have the function I'm looking for. How I've just got to decide if I want to hold out for L to come back in stock or just get a M and have a little extra space in the frame.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
~2.5 miles almost completely flat, mostly through 1-way side streets. One stoplight at a stroad crossing and a handful of stop signs at thru residential streets, but going in to an early shift or coming home from a late one leaves them all a ghost town.

The road conditions are starting to get crumbly in some spots, but it's still a smoother and much more direct ride than using the horrible "bike paths" (widened sidewalks) that the city put in with tons of concrete heaves, 1.5 inch drop curb transitions, blind driveways, blind turns into traffic, loose dogs, oblivious pedestrians, etc.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Took a little low-speed spill on the way home from work. A car with the right of way waited when I stopped at a 4-way stop, and then gave it a little jump when I got in front of them in the intersection. They've been chip-sealing roads all week and there's pebbles and grit everywhere, so my front tire slipped out when I swerved away from the now-moving vehicle. What the gently caress is wrong with people? I'm pretty much unscathed at least, all my weight came down on my hip, which will probably bruise, and otherwise I just scraped my hand a bit.

But seriously, what the gently caress motorists? I stopped for you because you had the right of way. You could have just driven off.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you're ever wondering "Do they make clothes for commuting in this cold? Could I commute in the winter where I live?" the answer is yes, buy ski clothes. It was -35 F wind chill this morning and -25 home, and with ski coat, ski socks, long johns, and ski buff, helmet, and goggles it was entirely fine for a 20 minute commute. Getting to work I felt a little chill by the end in my fingertips and toes, and I was warm enough to be sweating heading home.

Ski clothes are magic and if you have no exposed skin and pogies/really good gloves you can bike through anything. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I wish I could hit cars when people act stupid but I live in rural America and I don't want to get run over or shot.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Not everybody is able to zoom into the office and show up whenever they like, and biking to work shouldn't be just a special thing for people privileged enough to set their own office hours.

I've never been a morning person, but waking up earlier is the real solution even if it sucks. Start with 10 min, add more bit by bit as needed until you don't feel stressed for time in the morning. Eventually you just get used to it, especially if you've got young children who wake up very early no matter what. I've gotta change into scrubs anyway so I don't have to bring my own clothes, which is a bonus that also comes with a locker room. I still started giving myself 30 more minutes in the morning this winter just so I can take my time and have coffee in the morning without being stressed about getting in on time.

Like any new habit, biking to work is going to take time and adjustment to get used to and it'll inevitably take some changes to make it work. Depending on how far your ride is and the infrastructure in place where you live, you might not need much or any more time, or you might need quite a bit more.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Hadlock posted:

If you drive behind any restaurant in the Houston/clear lake area there's 3-12 bikes locked up there

And I'd bet they don't bike because their boss lets them show up when they feel like it, they have to get up in time to get to work on time. They may also bike because it's so much cheaper than driving and that's the transportation they can afford, I've been there (specifically while working in the restaurant business).

The point is that when someone asks about how people manage their time biking to work, "I just show up whenever, my boss lets me" is unhelpful, potentially in a way that discourages people from getting out of their car and onto their bike. It's not reasonable to expect that kind of leeway from your boss since most workplaces are lovely, especially lower down on the economic ladder.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Groda posted:

Belt drive is a stupid advancement for advancement's sake.

I dunno, the low maintenance is appealing for commuters who just want something that works without fuss or oil stained pant legs. I've been curious about trying it for a winter bike that won't get as badly ruined in snow and salt. I don't know if it makes sense for a performance bike, but for just getting around I could see it being really nice, especially as a single speed town bike.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Way to be unnecessarily aggressive. Sorry you don't get to be 100% right about the thing?

Belt drive bikes seem fine and appear to have good use cases. They don't need to be a chain-replacing wonder product, and it's okay for people to prefer them or just have the option to try them out.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Fellow winter commuters, what do you wear for pants and boots in cold and snowy conditions? Last year I was running with stretch jeans and long underwear with wool socks, but all the jeans were falling apart at the end of our very long winter last year and I'd like to get a pair of purpose-made winter cycling boots before the snow hits this year. Are there any brands to seek or avoid? Is 45north still one of the better options?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Strongly suggest you be specific about what winter means for you. The right answer varies so hugely depending on say, PNW winter, Midwest Winter, Northeast Winter.

Great plains winter. Deep snow, wind, and cold averaging in the teens to twenties F, sometimes dipping to negative twenties or thirties for a week here or there. I wear a ski coat and ski helmet, but ski pants are too bulky around the chainrings.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I appreciate the advice. Honestly warmth has been doable in a number of ways for me but durability has been tough. I can get a way with a lot if I rubber band the drive side cuff to stay out of the chainring, but I was hoping that cycling specific pants existed that got around that bit.

45 north boots are appealing enough and I'll have a chance in a few weeks to try some on, but boa only closures doesn't really appeal to me, having read about lots of failures after getting iced up or snapping in the cold.

I might be better off with regular cold weather clothes, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask about options.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Since y'all already engaged with them, I guess I'll respond. In the winter they also just fill up with slush while you're riding, and then your whole drivetrainfreezes in place while you work. Plastic ones break from getting brittle in the cold when you try to clean them out. Metal ones won't break as easily but they'll still slush up and rust quickly. That's assuming I could fit one to an old mountain bike. Having boots that I can tuck pants into or tight fitting pants is more practical for the winter commute.

This is not a quaint Dutch town:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I picked up a pair of 45nrth wolvhammer boots for winter commuting because it gets well below freezing for long stretches here and typically hits -40 every year off and on.

Just trying them on, without having to push much at all to get them on my foot, the liner ripped:

I'm in the process of returning them as defective, but there's nothing about the way they're made that would prevent the exact same thing from happening with any pair.

If you're thinking about picking up a pair, I'd say reconsider. It's a shame, because otherwise they're really comfortable and do everything I want but that build quality is unacceptable for a $350 boot.