Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Invalido posted:

*my very least favourite riding surface would be formerly deep slush full of wiggly tracks from previous bikers that has frozen into solid ice

Oh yeah that's the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm pretty used to both but panniers become way better when you get to the point of like, camping gear, or a big load of groceries that fills two whole panniers.

For a 12 pack either is fine imo

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for budget winter gear?
I have the tops I need. The missing gear is the bottoms. Amazon is a miasma of garbage. Any inexpensive recommendations out there?

Are we talking winter temps + precipitation, or just winter temperatures? Like desert winter or northeastern winter?

I am a filthy street clothes rider so I do something like this:
40-60: light techy pants like prana brion
25-40: jeans, or perhaps long undies + light techy pants
below 25: jeans + long undies

Thicker or thinner socks as needed, with rainproof boots.

Prana pants aren't exactly cheap but I have them anyway so it's budget in the sense that it doubles as regular clothes.

The only specific piece of gear I use is rain pants, which will also make you want to subtract a pant layer if possible. I use showers pass pants, they've treated me better for years than the cheaper REI brand ones.

Ideally the rain pants can cinch over some rainproof shoes/boots, but if they don't quite overlap completely, I've recently gotten into using small gaiters to cover the gap.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It would be 20-30 mile rides in 20-30*F weather. Hopefully without precipitation.

I need something to keep my rear end from getting too mangled on the longer rides.

My pre covid commute was 16 miles per day, often bumping up to 20 with errands, and even with jeans my rear end was always intact :shrug:

If you want cycling clothing recommendations that's fine I'm just chiming in to say that if you are on a budget, you don't really need specific cycling clothing (though I'm sure it's nice)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Steady front, pulsating or steady rear. Flashing leads to target fixation and may make you more prone to being hit.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/when-more-visible-%E2%89%A0-safer-target-fixation/

This is an interesting thought but some random person's blog post is not really an expert source, and it mostly reads as someone working backward trying to justify their decision to not ride with lights.

In fact if you actually click the link they have at the bottom to a seemingly expert source, the author there (Marc Green) doesn't really back up what the blog post is saying! The takeaway from Marc Green's writeup is that it's complicated and while people do tend to veer where they're looking, the presence of lights does not likely have much to do with it. There's even a big box at the very top of the expert link that says

quote:

Note. Updated 4 July 2013. This article should not be interpreted to mean that having flashing or any other lights is bad. If I'm a bicyclist, for example, I want as many lights as possible, preferably flashing. Lack of visibility and conspicuity constitutes a far greater danger than the moth-effect.

I personally use cygolite's steady-with-attention-grabbing-pulse mode in the front and blinking in the back. I would consider steady rear though if there's solid evidence it's better.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CopperHound posted:

If you want actual peer reviewed studies that may or may not involve bikes look up "target fixation".

Yeah the link at the bottom of the blog post is a review of peer-reviewed literature on the topic, which does not really support what the blog post's author or the person who posted the link is saying.

Sorry I hate it when people link an expert source that doesn't actually back them up.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Holding up your hand to shield your eyes is plenty enough to get the message across to someone who probably isn't aware of how badly they are blinding people. Blinding them back is both petty and unsafe.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

A coworker of mine got a $50 ticket for jumping a red light while riding to work one morning in Manhattan.

It's been pretty well documented that the NYPD has it out for cyclists even more than most. My favorite stories are them infiltrating critical mass of all things with obvious undercovers, sending cops to follow critical mass riders home and harass them, and blocking the bike lane with a squad car and then writing tickets for people leaving the bike lane to go around them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Wasn't there a comedy video with like a million views about that subject and it turns out it's not illegal to ride outside a bike lane in NYC?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

It is illegal though, in NYC you can get a ticket if you are on a street with a bike lane "nearby" but you are not using it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

People freak the gently caress out if you so much as gently touch their car, so i usually just touch a car that is where it shouldn't be, under the guise of "to stabilize" but really it's to make a point that you're in my space. I figure it's harmless but also freaks people out enough that they might remember? :shrug: i do the same when I'm on foot and someone pulls way into the crosswalk

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm thinking about upgrading the bike trailer for my toddler. The current one is a cheap Schwinn one and it's okay, but the fabric floor of it gets soaking wet any time I go out in the rain. Thankfully the kid's seat is a separate piece of fabric that is raised up a bit so that stays dry and keeps her dry, but I don't like her feet and toys and dropped snacks sitting on the soaking wet trailer floor in front of her (not to mention the dropped snacks turning into a nasty paste :barf:). Same goes for cargo behind her, which also ends up on a wet floor. The whole thing also just feels kind of cheap and I've already had to replace the backup safety clip on it with a small carabiner, and replace one of the snaps.

Anyone else have experience with rainy bike rides with a kid in a trailer? Are the nicer/better ones better waterproofed? Like I'm imagining maybe the nicer ones have a solid plastic underfloor instead of being all fabric, but maybe not.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

At my old commute i used to ride downhill next to a horse pasture and they used to race me along the fence sometimes :horse:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A week or two ago some fucker stole my saddlebag that had my multitool, patch kit, tube, rain pants, and gloves inside. I ordered new rain pants and they're "out for delivery" and it's pouring and I need to get somewhere ugghhh

Maybe I can summon the delivery by riding out anyway and getting soaked.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sucks but I do have a suggestion. Real-talk, how cold is it? If it's some degrees (I've dealt with rain at 3 degrees Celsius) above freezing and you can tough it out, I genuinely recommend shorts, especially a pair used for running, soccer, basketball, or tennis. That sort of synthetic material is surprisingly water-proof, and your own legs are remarkably water-proof. Instead of getting water-logged in a pair of pants, just let the rain slide off your skin instead.

It's what I've done all winter and frankly it's incredibly how quickly you dry up. Carry a small towel with you, but you'll hardly need it.

It's a wintery mix of snow and rain so no thank you lol

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Rain-pants heat me up too much and I end up wetter from sweat than I do from the rain. Besides when it rains your torso gets hit far far more than your legs, and it's not like I'm not wearing a rain-coat.

You must deal with like the lightest sprinkliest rain ever. In my experience the front half of my legs get soaked if it's raining any more than a sprinkle.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

XIII posted:

NEVER.

:hai:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hmm oh well. Thanks for the answer. At least her butt stays dry, it just gets wet around her feet. Wet butt every day on the way to daycare would be very bad.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe a mudflap would keep rear wheel spray from hitting the underside of the trailer, I wonder if that's the culprit.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

XIII posted:

I love all the streets that are closed to traffic to make space for outdoor dining. I hope they never reopen.

Yeah the bike/ped advocacy group i volunteer with has been taking the opportunity to push for as many of these as possible with the hope of showing people how much public space we have surrendered to cars and how nice it can be to take it back

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Any recommendations for some light waterproof gloves to wear when it's like 40s-50s and rainy? I'm tired of my "water resistant" softshell gloves soaking through and becoming painfully cold.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mauser posted:

I'm assuming you could dismount by throwing a leg over while it's still moving and stepping down that way, right?

Yeah that's the basic idea. Don't wanna get caught stopping short though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Not covid but I do get 1-2 week sinus infections with some regularity that wipe me the gently caress out, and I always find myself trying to start biking again too soon and feeling awful. My advice, especially if your ride home is harder than the ride there, is to take a test ride the day before. If it's too soon you'll know. My other advice is ask your doctor what they think.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been riding my toddler to daycare in a trailer every day and it's been working great, I've been thinking about switching to a rear-mount seat but I have misgivings. First obvously there's the cargo space is nice in the trailer. The other thing is I can leave her strapped into the trailer for a bit while I, idk, put on a jacket, or replace a fallen chain. Can't safely do that with the mounted seat. Like when I'm holding the bike between my legs and putting some gloves on, even a really heavily loaded pannier is enough to let the bike get away from me sometimes and fall halfway over, so I worry about that happening with a seat. Clearly it works well for people though so I'm probably overly worried!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:agreed:
She's still the rear end in a top hat for walking leashless and making this even a question, but yeah I would have gone in the grass, or waited behind her ringing the bell aggressively until getting her attention

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nobody Interesting posted:

It's an officially designated off-leash park (on a bike path, in coyote town lol)

:psyduck:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I don't actually plan on stopping this is just the first time the thought ever entered my head.

It did seem like things are going in the right direction like you said but it's highly localized. My city is actively trying to make things safer for cyclists (slowly), but I just got back from Houston and I don't think you could make that city safe for cyclists in 50 years. Outside of a small core area it's more freeway than city.

A lot of western US cities that saw most of their expansion post-ww2 suffer from sprawling car-focused build-out, and all the goodwill and bike lane money in the world isn't going to fix the fact that everything is miles apart and scaled for cars. You can put a physically separated bike lane on a 6 lane stroad through strip mall land, it'll help a lot, but it's still going to suck and there are still too many parking lots with people trying to turn into and out of them.

Honestly after years of hearing how much of a bike paradise Portland is, I was a bit disappointed when I first went there for this reason (being mostly used to older, denser east coast cities). They have the goodwill and good bike lane design, but the fact is huge swaths of the city were built out in the car era, are zoned single-family-detached (or were until recently), and generally more spread out, the stores almost all have parking lots, etc. You can't fix that with bike lanes, you have to change zoning laws (which they just did!) and disincentivize parking lots and then wait 20 years for the actual development to catch up. Anyway it was still a pleasant city and nice to bike in, and for sure despite the bad urban design, the bike infrastructure helps a ton and saves lives. But it could be so much more.

/rant

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Since you're asking in the commuting thread: just get an ebike, OP.

For myself, my commute home is 10km and looks like this:

It's a nice little gently caress you that one of the steepest parts with like a 9 or 10% grade is at the very end. I had a regular bike before and was used to bicycle commuting, but once I moved to this hill I stopped biking until I got the ebike. I'm really not very fit or interested in becoming a fitness cyclist. EU standard 250W/25 kph ebike makes this commute fun and way better than taking the metro.

This is kind of comparable to my old commute, and the other lovely part about the uphill at the end, is that when you leave your house in the morning in winter you're freezing cold, since you're just coasting and not working up any body heat yet

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mauser posted:

This was my ride home. It's actually quite ideal because in the summer months when it's already 80F/26.5C and swampy humidity early in the morning, going downhill I could almost get there without sweating. The ride home in the evening I would always go sweaty balls to the wall and arrive drenched in sweat. For winter, I rarely needed anything more than a windbreaker and gloves around freezing or just above because it's not too cold and I turn into a furnace when I start pedaling.

Yeah downhill there / uphill home is nice in the summer for sure. But where I lived at the time it was usually anywhere from 0 to 30 F in the morning commute. So I'd leave my house and freeze on the way down the hill but be fine once I got to the flat and started pedaling, or, if I dressed up for the downhill part I'd get way too hot on the flat part (and being sweaty when it's sub-freezing outside sucks).

The real solution is to change layers partway through but :effort: so I always opted for freezing through the downhill part and being dressed appropriately for the rest

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Splode posted:

Yeah sometimes I stop and stuff my jacket in the pannier, but far too often I just tell myself it's only another 5-10 minutes and just sweat to death out of laziness.

I experience a similar effect with respect to rain pants and whether to stop and put them on

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Shifting cables/housing and brake cables/housing are different from each other. But as long as you get brake cable/housing, yes it's universal, you can walk into any bike shop and get some. A local shop will probably even have cool colors of housing if you want. Have the measurements handy for the housing when you go in.

The general recommendation is to replace cable and housing together but I know plenty of people who will keep the housing through several cables, as long as it looks good and the cable travels freely.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Invalido posted:

I started thinking about this list. The first two things I recommend to bike newbies that already have some normal tools like metric box wrenches and hex keys are:

1: floor pump with pressure gauge
2: tire levers

The next few places are up for grabs. Depends on the bike and person I guess. Third place is a tube patch kit probably. Then what? Chain rivet tool? Spoke wrench? Chain whip+cassette socket?

Chain breaker is a good part of even an on the road multitool imo as it can get you going again after a broken chain (albeit with a slightly too short chain). They've saved my rear end several times. whereas you can limp home with e.g. a broken spoke (perhaps to the detriment of your rim but I've done it and still trued the rim back up just fine)

Chain whip is good but you can improv it okay with a piece of old chain, I still do this tbh and I hate it every time until it works and then I forget about buying a chain whip until next time.

But a socket for your cassette or freewheel, definitely a good one, only way to work on your bearings or replace the freewheel/cassette.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

amenenema posted:

Wouldn't you actually want to replace the housing and keep the cable? It would be pre-stretched and the Teflon/anti-friction coating is part of the housing, right?

(I've only ever changed them as a set, so honestly curious)

idk I used to only change out cables when they got frayed but now I change out brake cables preventatively ever since I had one unexpectedly snap on me (Always have a redundant braking system, kids!) and the new cables usually feel nice and smooth in the housing so I only bother if the housing looks visibly worn or if the new cables don't feel good in there. I know plenty of other people who rock the same housing for a pretty long time too. But we're all crusty bike co-op people so none of that is like, official recommended practice.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm due for new brake cables, thread, and always have redundant braking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bike commuting often involves hauling baggage, grabbing groceries and stuff, and in my case involves hauling 2 children in a bike trailer. Unless you live in a flat place, I can't imagine doing a lot of that up a hill without a small front gear. I use the entire range of my surly long haul trucker every day and I don't think rear gears get large enough to make the uphill climbs doable with all that weight.

e: i should tone it down a little; it's possible but miserable

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2024