Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Looking for some advice..

Transit has had me a little bummed this winter and I'm considering going for a proper commuter for the first time to reduce how many buses I have to sit on.
Primary use will be winter or just when it's poo poo out and the (fenderless) gravel bike will be no fun.
Live in Ottawa, Ontario, so salt hell. As a way of reducing the destruction I was thinking of going internal hub + belt drive. Frequent wipings down are doable but I absolutely do not have the stomach for drivetrain maintenance in the winter.

Been looking at some options from Priority Bicycles and also the Trek District 4.
Leaning towards the Trek, as it has a carbon belt (lower temperature rating), isn't much more expensive than the Priority bikes after shipping /exchange and no worry about having a shop service my mail order bike.. but I'm still open to suggestions. I couldn't really find tons of options.

I understand with internal hubs in extreme cold they can freeze up, so you want to oil the hub rather than use grease. Is this something that's pretty easy to do after the fact or should I be looking for specific hub models? Any big things I'm missing? Does this seem like a viable plan or am I crazy to buy a new bike to subject it to these conditions?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Nobody Interesting posted:

First ride of the season, with helmet cam, and I already caught a dumb dog walker :allears:

It's not a very good cam. Was only 50bux, but I got it mainly to capture any dog-based accidents which I think it does competently enough.

https://i.imgur.com/Z3yCuZL.mp4

Also feel free to roast me if there was something I should have done better here (there is sound - I ring the bell a few times)

Honestly I wouldn't go between them like that. If you had spooked the dog the most likely reaction would be to scoot over to its owner... And directly under your wheels.
I personally would have passed to the side around the owner but if it was too muddy or something just yell at them. Not worth taking that risk regardless of who is at fault.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm looking to put fenders on my Brodie Romulus. It has full eyelets but my 32mm tires leave very little clearance on the back brake (less than 5mm). The front might be doable.

Just wondering if I've got options for.. half fenders? If that's a thing. Something like the rear end savers win wing but more permanent

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've only had 11-28 gearing in the past and I realized the only way I could do extended climbing efforts without gutting myself was to reduce my cadence to a level that felt quite odd for me to begin with.

Probably because I just didn't have the gears? I've got 36 teeth in the back now so I'm kinda excited to see if I can spin up easier.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the factory tubeless setup from Giant. I took delivery of my bike in December and let them know I wouldn't be riding it until April, so they just gave me the sealant it comes with in a little baggie. Cautioned me that it wouldn't hold air overnight and that it wasn't anything to worry about.
The rear tire held a ridable pressure all winter and while the front did end up mushy it took like a month, again, with no sealant.