Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

My current bike commute is riding the rollers for 30 minutes before work from home.
It loving sucks.

Any tips?

Be more essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

A helmet is yet another item to accessorize with.

My helmet looks rad as gently caress.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Killswitch posted:

Yea, the commute exercise is great. Honestly my mental health is suffering a bit these days with WFH, the daily exercise was really helpful and I’m too lazy to just “go ride” in the mornings

I’d be going crazy if I couldn’t get out on a bike and forget about how hosed everything is for a few hours. :unsmith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I miss being able to stop and pet trail dogs in the before times :smith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol stretching before or after rides

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
commuting in the time of covid

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

XIII posted:

I'm actually with Entropist on this one and think that everyone who rides a bike differently than me is wrong.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

marshalljim posted:

Sounds like the Dutch language is dumb and bad. Hope this helps.

as a barely fluent dutch speaker, this is more accurate than you can imagine

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VideoGameVet posted:

I got chastised by a fellow employee for riding my Brompton on PCH (Pacific Palisades) sans helmet.

I mentioned that cycling in office clothes sans helmet gets me more space from drivers and he agreed.

Anyway, the only helmet that would fit my 62cm head is the Specialized Max and that is back in San Diego with the Recumbent. They don't make that anymore.

I have a stupidly large misshapen dome (7 7/8" hat size) and Giro and POC L helmets both fit my head just fine.

Not wearing a helmet is dumb.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ExecuDork posted:

my wife is going to tell me to lower it. She is firmly of the opinion that a seat should be so low both feet can be nearly flat on the ground when stopped, the bike perfectly upright not leaning to either side.

this is impossibly wrong

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

My work is now just far enough that I can't run commute both ways (5.5 miles one way by the short route, 7.5 by the pleasurable route) and I'm debating whether to keep bikeshare commuting or not in the Boston area. The pros for the bikeshare are that there's convenient docks at both ends, don't have to worry about maintenance, membership is subsidized so it's very cheap ($30/year), and I can also bike one way and run the other without having to worry about the bike (I do the bike/run double all the time; though we do have a covered cage at my job). The con is that the bikes are heavy and I'm working pretty hard to go much above 12 mph on the bike path, I can't dial in fit (but I'm reasonably comfortable on them), and I don't have a bike that I can take on rides longer than 45 minutes. Basically, I think for it to be worth it, I'd need a decent road bike that'd be nice for weekend cruising, but it seems like most people don't use good road bikes for commuting; even if I got a road bike to solve the weekend riding issue, would I want to use it in place of the bike share? Looking for opinions from people who've been commuting a lot longer than I have.

$30/yr for a commuter bike you do zero mx to and don’t worry about at all is totally worth it, I’d keep doing that and just get a nice bike to enjoy when you’re not commuting or for the occasional commute.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

McPhearson posted:

Norco is also a city in California.

And it’s the most bizarre :911: place I’ve ever seen in my life, the lines on the road are painted red white and blue and instead of paved sidewalks they have loose sandy horse paths.

I wish I were making this up.

e:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9384949,-117.5391183,3a,75y,280.12h,81.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEU10OUHy-abB-_LLVASPrQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 16, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

It is an absurd place you’d think was satire if someone told you about it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Hello fellow bikers! My old beater I rescued from the side of the road is starting to wear out and I'm finally in a position where I can look at buying something new instead of trying to repair it and keep it limping along.

She's been a faithful old steed.
I have more money to play with than I've ever had in my life. I'd like something with click-shifters and drop-bars and lighter and faster than a rusted road bike from the 70s. I'm honestly not too picky about the rest. Are disc brakes a good idea? I don't know! It doesn't rain much here. I'm very open to any suggestions.
Height: 6 feet
Inseam: 30 inches
Budget: up to $3000 (if the extra money makes a big difference, I'm also ok getting something for like $1000 or something because I'm just going to commute and bike around for fun, I don't need something for cross-country journeys or racing)
Length of commute: 5 miles if using the metro, 20 miles by bike alone
Terrain: roads and dirt/gravel bike trails

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Thanks for the links and suggestions! Still looking at options. Couple of follow up questions.

I see this has an internal hub and belt drive. Does anyone have any experience with those? Pros/cons versus a traditional chain/exposed hub? Lot of dirt and rocks out here but not a lot of rain/snow or mud.

Does anyone have experience with steel versus aluminum/carbon frames? Based on what I've read so far it sounds like a steel frame would be better for me since I'm riding casually and I'm not going to be trying to squeeze every bit of speed out of a bike, but I'd like to get some other opinions.

That bike I linked will be a great starter bike you can grow into. Belt drive and internal hub is great, zero maintenance. All you’d ever have to do to that bike is air up the tires and occasionally adjust the brakes. I have a belt drive bike with a 8 speed alfine and it’s a joy to cruise around on.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

McPhearson posted:

There's a main road where I live where the city removed all the parking spots and put in a bike lane instead, which is great for me and awful for the multitude of cars that were always parked there 24/7. The weird thing is in a few of the intersections they put signs and painted symbols saying bikes going straight should go through in the dedicated right turn lane:

Now getting in a right turn lane when I don't intend to go right seems inherently dangerous, and going into that lane when the light is red would make it almost impossible for any cars actually going right to make the turn safely. I'm inclined to ignore these signs/symbols and go into the right most (straight) lane for these intersections like I was doing before the bike lanes were put in, but I'm not sure what the best option actually is.

In situations like this I always pull all the way up into the crosswalk and split the straight and right turn lanes, so I’m not impeding right turning traffic and am out of the way of they don’t see me, and can quickly dart back to the right when the light turns green in case the traffic going straight doesn’t see me.

e: depending what the curb cut looks like on the corner sometimes I’ll just go all the way to the right if traffic is light

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

very reminiscent of this classic

is a tandem bike a human velocipede :thunk:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bike Commuting:

osker posted:

Impromptu roadside fisting.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal Friend posted:

Nobody is going to try out an angle grinder on a bike lock outside the shopping centre in daylight.

lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

Outside of physically overlapping plates with slits/cuts, is there any fabric that is remotely water resistant that does breath well?

not really, because getting hot and sweaty is just reverse rain

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

This is why I talk poo poo about all my bike stuff.

Patches don't stick to the inside of my Cannonballs and Darn gravelkings are too close to poop color.

poop color is a feature

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Frequent Handies posted:

I've been going down a bit of a rabbit hole on electronic shifters, didn't know that was a thing until I was looking through some of the options recommended earlier. Does anyone have opinions on these?

they’re p great but I wouldn’t want them on a commuter

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

Plus, do some ultra distance rides and you’ll appreciate how much less hand fatigue you’ll get with electronic shifting.

and the lack of thought :hmmyes:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

God Hole posted:

Normalize not working, just riding your bike and chillin'

this is what i do, highly recommend

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bikes can lean and you can put a whole rear end foot down? It’s not complicated.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

bein able to slide the bike backwards and put both feet down standing over the top tube is nice sometimes, especially if you're stopped at a light on a hill. but it's never something that'd make or break a bike for me

Unless you’re on a step through it will make the bike fit extremely poor when it matters, when you’re actually riding it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, my bikes all fit fine :shrug:

if you’re on the saddle and can touch both feet on the ground, by definition they do not