Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Koth posted:

This may have been posted earlier, but I found it to be a good read.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32783551/cycling-talk-fight-racism/
Not too long ago I was under the impression that the bike advocacy group I volunteered with occasionally could and should decouple bike advocacy from racial justice. I have since gotten better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You are still using those old stock parimoto's? How many did you buy? Are you still using them tubeless?

I miss how nice they feel. I might go to the panaracer branded ones as I replace my gravel kings and resign myself to replacing tires much more often.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

none of this is even 10% of the peril of a dog on an extender lead in poor visibility
It is hard for me to articulate how much I hate retracto-leads. I tend to judge how much space to give based on how long a leash is. Just cut your goddamn anklebiter dog loose if you aren't keeping the lead locked.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

How many teeth are on your smallest gear on the back and largest gear on the front? I can't tell for sure without knowing that, but I'm inclined to say you are mashing instead of spinning. Try focusing on getting your legs to move faster instead of pushing hard.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tippecanoe posted:

Does this need to be replaced? And what do I look for in a replacement tire?

Invalido posted:

The second picture looks like the beginning of this happening.
For clarification, this is the spot to keep an eye on.

Rubber cracks and gets sliced all the time. What holds it all together is a carcass made of fabric. If that is starting to fail you will see bulging or loose threads. That is when you absolutely need to replace your tire.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Urzza posted:

What's the current hotness for cargo racks and mirrors? Looking to get some upgrades for my commuting.
This bad boy:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know. Wide bars just give me upper back pain.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Literally any functional bike is acceptable for a one mile commute. The question comes down to what sort of bike is worth fixing when it is no longer functional.

Bikes direct is okay, but I would not recommend it (or any mail order) to somebody who is not familiar enough with bikes to perform a good safety check.

If your boyfriend wants something cheap, I would recommend just getting the cheapest used bike that gives a functional* test ride that isn't a department store brand.

*My definition of minimally functional:
-No headset play
-minimal wheel play
-minimal bottom bracket play
-can push shifter as far as is goes without going into spokes
-brakes can at least lock up rear wheel.
-seatpost not stuck
-tires hold air

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This is relevant to a project I'm working on. The Cargo Carla trailer has surge brakes but that is probably more pricey that you would hope.

I'm working on seeing if I can get a clone fabricated with some different dimensions. My business already has a couple bikes at work trailers, and as a proof of concept I tried slapping a motor on it:

Even before putting physical brakes on, E-braking works really good. I don't exactly trust a controller to not gently caress up at the worst moment though, so I am planning to build two sturmey archer drum brake wheels, like was common on tadpole recumbents. Since I'm hoping for something reliable enough for work, I don't want to deal with disc rotors being knocked around.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

So, I noted that Diamondback... on my "do not buy" list for my plan to look for my next bike in second-hand market (FB and Gumtree).
This is a hard one. Diamondback does make quality bikes that are a good value in the $700-$1800usd range. They just also happen to let their name appear on poo poo department store bikes.

e: I just took a peek at their website, it looks like they recently made huge slashes to the number of different models between their brands.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 13, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I see this has an internal hub and belt drive. Does anyone have any experience with those? Pros/cons versus a traditional chain/exposed hub? Lot of dirt and rocks out here but not a lot of rain/snow or mud.
Pros:
- Longer maintenance intervals (not maintenance free like some people say)
- belts Las a long time
- no chain grease to make a mess
- no derailer dangling down to get knocked out alignment
- can shift without pedaling

Cons:
- not every shop knows how to overhaul gear hubs.
- they don't shift great under load (it isn't hard to get used to soft pedaling for half a second)
- belts are expensive
- hub is expensive if you ignore maintenance
- certain gear ratios will feel less effecient than their deraileur equivalent.

I recommend gear hubs and if you are willing to spend the extra money and aren't going to be racing.

I can go either way with the belt drive. I like customizing my gear ratio, but that gets expensive with belt drive components.

E: I have heard about reliability issues with the 11speed hub a while ago when compared to the 8 speed hub. I'm not sure if that was from normal use or mid drive ebike abuse, but it is worth taking a look into.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 25, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you get tired of going the DIY route, these things do exist:
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/tripwire.html

Some e-brakes use a hall effect sensor which takes a mechanical contactor out of the problem, but support for that would depend on your controller.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 28, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You'd be a lot cooler if you tossed them the other direction.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

alnilam posted:

This is an interesting thought but some random person's blog post is not really an expert source, and it mostly reads as someone working backward trying to justify their decision to not ride with lights.
If you want actual peer reviewed studies that may or may not involve bikes look up "target fixation".

E: I am dumb and didn't even read the title of the rene herse article

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 2, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

loving hate the superbright lights aimed directly at my eyeballs on the MUP.
I wish more lights advertised how evenly they light up the road instead of the retina searing power.

The brightest light in the world isn't super helpful if it has hotspot that ruins your night vision.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

I wish cutoff lenses were mandated (although yes, obviously, I know that would never, ever be enforced).
I'm a little less inclined to lean that way because a lot of people need whatever the cheapest thing they need to avoid police harassment.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

A shaped lens doesn't have to be expensive. B&M sell tons of very cheap rechargeable battery lights with them, just not in the US.
I'm sure peter white would be happy to import them for 3x the price.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Just get something that's STVZO.
I should just try walking into the specialized shop down the street and just to see how the sales people respond to me asking for an stvzo certified light.

E: to be serious, If I could find a US supplier for stvzo lights for about $10 wholesale I would be so excited.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I ordered 20. I hope they don't suck :v:

I'll have to ask the JBI rep about their cateye lineup next time we chat.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Around here bike violations are only a pretext to gently caress with people they already intend to gently caress with.

At my shop the only people who ask for a receipt with serial number when they buy a bike are people who are houseless or fit the look.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MacPac posted:

riding in wet 3c conditions today, could taste the salt on the waterspray in my face. Arrived at work visibly grimy from other road sludge in my face :black101:
Mudguards are your friend. Except when they aren't.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Groda posted:

Mudguards are never not your friend.
Let's just say there are a few edge cases where the mud is too much for them to handle.

They did a good job of keeping my water bottle clean clean until the wheels could no longer turn.

IDK if snow is capable of doing the same thing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MacPac posted:

I got mudguards, but my town has a lot of hills where i get enough speed to run into the water thrown away from me by the front wheel.
Is the water thrown off the front or back of the wheel?

If it is from the back, a giant mudflap that drat near drags on the ground does wonders.

E: like this

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 12, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Don't think too hard about the economics, just keep buying as many bikes as you want and can afford to flood the secondary market enough to push used good bike prices below the price of new bicycle shaped objects.

Think of it as a service to people who bike commute out of necessity.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Holes are essentially a feature of any lightweight merino knit fabric. Synthetic blends will increase the longevity.

I recently got some merino underwear that is ~15% synthetic and I haven't managed to instantly wear holes in it.

E: I use uniqlo heatech long johns. Not wool, but cheap and comfy.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 23, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

My loving Nexus 5 just ate its 2 top gears yay.
RIP. Have you had a chance to see if it the innards are ruined or if some service might fix it yet?

I have trouble wrapping my head around compound planetary gears work, so I don't know why the 5,7, &11 speed Shimano hubs don't have a direct drive gear to cruise in without wearing the internals.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Verdict is water ingress

evil_bunnY posted:

I have one of those small medium pressure washers and it's the tits. Load it up with warm water, hose down in 3 minutes, let bike dry in the garage.

:thunk:

e: might have just been condensation from temperature cycling. I haven't felt like those things have had enough lube to actually do water displacement when I have opened them up. I fill 'em up with enough tenacious oil to ooze out the bearings if I don't need to worry about getting oil on the carpet.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 3, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All that to ask, are there such things as water-proof socks and what would you recommend if so?
Yes, but I would recommend trying wool first. Still gets wet, but isn't miserable squishy wet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm sure it's cool and all, but I can't help but think that says ATREK at first glance :aatrek:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mauser posted:

Speaking of racks again, anything's possible if you don't fall down!

This is a good bike. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What's the go-to for commuter tires now? I had gatorskins *years* ago and loved them. Iv'e got a dutch bike
Does it have a full chain case that makes removing the rear wheel a massive pain on the side of the road?

I would recommend anything from marathon plus to panaracer pasela depending on your response.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Can’t you just sacrifice some strength and weld the top frame more forward?
That would require a steering linkage. If you are getting that complicated, you may as well make the bottom part longer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Let me introduce the small tall :v:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 27, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I just changed from a brooks leather flyer to a c17 all weather and what the gently caress why is this thing so grippy? No wonder goons are always complaining about wearing holes in their pants. It has the same texture as my handlebar grips.
I would only call it grippy compared to a polished leather saddle. Maybe years of funk has smoothed it out.

The nice thing is that sweaty skin doesn't stick to it just in case you plan to ride in a thong.

E: before you ask: yes, those are crocs on my rack.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Babby seat
Be honest. How long did you consider getting a Bridgestone mamachari imported?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Work has announced plans to move back to an office-centric work culture and even announced subsidies equivalent to $850 for people coming back. The catch? It's in the form of free car parking for paid spots—the many, many employees who walk, bike, or bus get squat.

I've had someone argue that they wanted to give people a grace period to see whether they still want to have the spot, but all the garages have months long waiting periods. If someone isn't sure they want the spot anymore, they should pay for it while deliberating.
I can almost guarantee the restriction is related to IRS guidance on allowable expenses vs employee compensation.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Get the employees who bike to pool the cost of a spot + equipment, and then just plop a bike rack/cage there.

Only kind of kidding. It'd be rad, but I don't live in a real city and I don't know how illegal/theft attracting that might actually be.
This is praxis.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

road potato posted:

I have a couple of decent cheap used options for bikes with drop bars- how much would I end up paying (approximately) to switch it out to flat bars, if i just can't get into the drop bar option?
Try it and sell it for close to the same price you bought used if it isn't for you.

You'll be better off buying an old rigid MTB than converting a drop bar bike unless you have access to cheap/free used parts.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My treads don't seem worn out, like the tracks are still raised, but I'm no expert.
There is something sharp stuck in your tire.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

That’s the brand I was complaining about before on Minicurve’s bike (sold as CST here)
Cheng Shin makes some of a best tires money can buy, but they also make tires to meet the low end price point. Other manufacturers do the same. Most of the sub $20 tires are about the same quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Oddly enough here $20 will get you marathon plus, crap tyres like on mini’s bike can be bought for $7.
Really curious about your source, because that is below wholesale here. Best I can find including vat is $30.

This is not just because I doubt you, also us distributors have poo poo for tires in stock and I'm tempted to do grey market import.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 14, 2021