Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I wish the infrastructure in my area was such that I didn't feel like I needed a helmet, but there's only one really separated bike path near me (two since they temporarily pedestrianized the downtown area until November) until you get closer to the city :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Biked to drop off my mail in ballot and go to the farmers market. Front baskets are great :toot:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I ride a folding bike and don't think I've ever gone faster than 10mph on a flat stretch with no elevation change :shobon:

There are plenty of people here who buy cheap bikes from a department store and pedal along slowly on the sidewalk to work or on errands, but demographically aren't your typical SA poster so you just don't hear from them. I'd say they outnumber the people on fancy bikes in my city

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah I do the thing where I can at least put the ball of one foot down, but my legs are long so the angle ends up being okay for my knees. I do pretty much only utility cycling, so there’s lot of stopping and I guess it just feels safer :shobon:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

VideoGameVet, where did you get that handle on the frame to make it easier to carry? I've been thinking that it'd be nice to have something like that on my Brompton

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I live in 350 square ft (32 ish square meters) and have a folding bike, fits onto an ikea boot tray and sits at the foot of my bed. Even in COVID times, people haven’t minded me taking it into a shop. Plenty of weird looks though :)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

And if the lane is wide enough, cars take that as a cue to go way over the speed limit :(

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

How far are you willing to ship? I've been pretty surprised at widespread reports of no bike stock, when all local shops in Boston seem to have stocked showrooms. One theory is that there was relatively heavy bike ownership and usage here, so lower percentage of the population 'activating' and increasing demand.

Maybe you could call around here and see if any of them are willing to ship?
Not Harris Cyclery though, they closed last week :smith: No idea why

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SimonSays posted:

Like many, it looks like they closed cause the owners are close to retirement, and it's been total garbage to work at a bike shop for the last year and it's not gonna get better for another two years. I understand why they're fed up and don't think it's worth it.

That makes sense, Jon is a pretty old guy, hope the mechanics end up elsewhere if they're not tired of the industry

I'm in need of a new local bike shop now, if anyone knows of a good place in the western Boston suburbs that handles bromptons, let me know. I know of cycle loft up in Burlington and there's the various Landry's locations too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for the tip! Looks like that’s where all the dudes with Terns near me are getting theirs ha