Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Effort post on winter commuting inbound.

My personal advice on winter commuting:

1. Studded tires are your friend.
2. Layers are also your friend.
3. You're probably dressed too warmly.
4. Avoid ruts in the snow from cars.
5. Keep those pedals spinning.

So, let's explain a bit.

1. Self explanatory. Helps you get traction on ice. They're not prefect but it helps a ton.

2. You can always take layers off and stuff them in your bag if you get too warm.

3. How do you know you're too warm? You're sweating. That runs the risk of cooling you off too much and hypothermia. It takes some trial and error to get the right balance of warm and cold. My usual rule of thumb is to go one or two layers lighter than if I were walking.

4. Those ruts are super slippery. Try to ride in the unpacked snow.

5. You're adding another gyroscope to the mix. Instead of just two, you have a third. Your spinning pedals aren't as good as your wheels for this, but it helps all the same. Trust me, your instincts will be to stop pedaling when you gotta focus on steering, but you'll notice the difference.

Others are welcome to chime in.

Some others' thoughts!

kimbo305 posted:

For slushy (but not frozen) conditions, I don't mind following the rut left by a car tire, especially if I can see the asphalt through the slush. The main benefit is not riding over something that's been completely snowed over, a pothole or sewer grate.

XIII posted:

My 2c: be chilly the first stage of your ride 'cause you'll warm up quickly. I've learned that having the thought, "I'm nice and warm," during the first mile means I'm going to be thinking, "gently caress, I'm too hot" before I make it to the office. Plus, a little crisp winter air wakes you up better than any coffee.

Invalido posted:

My winter riding tech tip:

If you ever have problems with freezing shifter cables, this thing helps a lot. It installs on the cable sheath (ideally at the lowest point) and allows you to spray your favourite water displacement libation in there in a matter of minutes.

spwrozek posted:

My advice (jokingly)

1) Move to Denver, What is snow?
2) If it snows...work from home and wait 1 day for it to melt.

Studded tires are clutch though.

Other thoughts:

Bike lights, Cygolite is the only way to go if it is USB IMO.

Aldantefax that 11 mile commute seems pretty chill. Shower at work, keep your clothes and shoes there, just bring socks and undies each day. I did 12 miles with more climbing for over a year before moving 1.5 miles from work. you should be able to cut that down to under 45 min if you don't have a ton of traffic lights to deal with.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does anyone know of any tubeless, studded tires? Thanks in advance!

e: 700x38c please

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 26, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mauser posted:

Never take a day off bike commuting

:hmmyes:

(The last time I did was when I had to move the car for a tree coming down)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FireTora posted:

Apparently Suomi just came out with some tubeless ones, that come in 35, 42, and 50.

https://suomityres.fi/en/products/routa-tlr

Is there any place to order them in the states?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bud Manstrong posted:

Oveja Negra make great bags. I’ve been all over with their half frame bag. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

I have one of their top tube bags, and I love it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey all, I might be commuting to downtown soon, and was wondering what locks you'd recommend? It's gonna be a relatively high traffic area (not that that means much), and I already have a Kryptonite Evolution Standard, but was thinking of getting a second one to lock my bike to a post and use the older one to secure my front tire.

Thoughts?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I've decided I'm getting a chain lock and leaving it downtown on one of the hefty bike racks. Any more specific recs?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

God Hole posted:

locks and chain links thinner than 12mm hardened steel can be snipped with large bolt cutters. chains are more resistant to angle grinders than u-locks, but nothing can really stop the boldest bike thieves

Done

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's "bike racks" down here, but they're bolted into the ground. If I'm gonna use something bolted to the ground, gently caress it I'm using a light pole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dog Case posted:

The last place i worked had one of these out front. It wasn't even bolted down, they'd move it around if they decided it was in the way

These thankfully aren't those. These are pretty thick Us that are bolted to the ground. If it wasn't for the bolted part, they'd be perfect, but since it isn't, guess it's the light pole.

So my thoughts are pretty much "ok, if you *really* want my bike, I can't stop you, but I'm gonna make you life hell to get it"

I think I accomplished that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Driving to work: takes at least 30 minutes, and there's a ton of traffic this time of day. Then I have to find a parking spot in our structure and walk over to it. Parking is free, at least.

Riding to work: takes me around 50 minutes, don't have to deal with traffic, and my bike is locked up right outside my job.

I know what I'm taking.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Usual route to work:

From work:

I live inland, and thus going to work is going downhill towards the lakefront. On the way home, it's mostly uphill. It works out nicely because I'm usually hot and sweaty when I get home, but it's cool enough and requires less effort in the morning, so I'm not at work.

Also, today some of my coworkers got caught in a traffic jam. I laughed, because I don't have to deal with that poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Support your local co-op you fucks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's something to be said about riding your bike through "bad parts of town". In a car, you can roll up your windows, lock your doors, and ignore the world around you except for keeping an eye on traffic. That's if you can't avoid the area by taking a limited access highway.

On a bike, you're exposed. You see the world around you. You see people at bus stops, walking down the street, at food trucks, and whatnot in addition to the traffic. You have to be more vigilant, but at the same time, you start to realize that there are people around you that are simply that.

People. Other humans, going about their day. After a while, you start to wave or even say hello to them, even if you only see them for fleeting seconds. Yeah, you're just passing through, but you're not paying through in a way that allows you to ignore them like with a car. You're not as isolated anymore, and the world around you opens up a bit, even if it is a tiny amount.

And I personally think it helps you be a better person.

But those are my two cents, and honestly, I won't stop riding to work, no matter what.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, get some red reflective tape and stick it on your rack.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Groda posted:

Reflective tape just makes Americans not buy good lights.

I use both.

Need a new head light soon though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hurray for picking up a piece of glass into my tread that would have killed the tire even if it was tubeless.

Thank the gods, however, for empty parking lots and CO2 carts.

Then again, when you bike commute 5 days a week for a total of 21 miles a day, it's not if but when.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dobbs_Head posted:

I’m three weeks in to commuting on my Kona Dew. My commute is 7.3 miles each way. I jumped from 6ish fairly flat miles on a Brompton to 14.5 with some elevation change on the Dew.

Overall, I like it. I kinda wish I had gotten something with drop bars, but the handlebars are comfortable enough. The stock saddle is a bit soft. The rear chainring is a nice spread and the simplicity of having a single shifter is nice, but I can see where the lack of options could become limiting.

I can feel where the wide tires add some rolling resistance. But the roads here kinda suck, and we get winter. I think I’ll be happy to have the beefier tires when the weather turns foul.

Find out where your local bike co-op is and go from there if you want to do a drop bar conversation.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looking for a good rain jacket. Any suggestions?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

raggedphoto posted:

I might be biased because they are a local company and seem to be the default for the cycle community (at least people willing to drop some coin on gear) but I love Showers Pass.

https://www.showerspass.com/

Ok, the map pattern jacket is awesome.

As for my commute, right now it's roughly 10-11 miles (return route is slightly longer for safety reasons). My route out is mostly downhill, my route home is mostly uphill (I'm riding to the lakefront).

I'm a year round rider, including into the single digits F and high 80s, but I do have a car for days where riding would not be safe (read: thunder storms, extreme heat or cold, wind advisories of any type). Snow doesn't stop me either.

https://www.showerspass.com/products/womens-navigator-jacket?variant=41842013470920

I specifically was looking at this one. Thoughts?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I got curious about how much it costs to drive to work. All numbers are going to be rounded for ease.

If I drove my car to and from work every day, it's about 20 miles round trip. Assuming my car gets 30 miles to the gallon, that's 3 weeks of gas with no other trips, which is about 17 fill ups per year, but let's round that up to 20.

So 20 fillups per year, 10 gallons each, at $3/gal. 600 dollars right there. 50 dollars/month on gas alone.

Add in $600/yr on insurance, 50 more dollars a month. We're at $1200/yr now total.

Title and registration? Around 150. Add in an oil change, let's say it's a nice round 200. 1400 dollars a year on a car, assuming nothing else needs fixing or no outstanding payments.

By comparison, the Milwaukee County Transit System caps fares at $72/calendar month, assuming you have to pay and your employer doesn't reimburse you. That's 18 round trips a month (it also caps at $4/day and $19.50/week). Or 864 dollars/year. Nearly 550 dollars saved a year simply by taking the bus.

But what about shopping? Well, one, online shopping is a thing these days if you need something bigger, and a new, low-end, non-electric cargo bike is 1200. New trailers for cargo cost even less.

Why are we so obsessed with cars again?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress, my LBS has a Yuba Kombi for sale for 800, brand new.

I am sorely tempted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sweat poteto posted:

^ BUY

Depending on the bus cost :/ My single 30min bus commute is $10.50/day. At $1400/year my break even would be 3 days a week. I go to the office once per week so bus wins but if it was every day car would be significantly cheaper (ignoring risk, anxiety, etc). Bike commute would be 2 hours each way unfortunately.

I'm going to be test riding it, but they stopped carrying Yubas, so I don't know if I'll be able to buy the accessories from them or not. But that sort of discount it's very tempting.

It might mean I might be able to ditch my car for good. I've driven *once* to work in nearly two months.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Potentially NBD tomorrow!

And figuring out how to tow a gravel bike on the back of a Kombi.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EvilJoven posted:

Pannier rack with low side loops like the axiom journey on the one bike.

Put a towel between the fork of the other bike and the rack lift the front wheel up and position it where it won't touch anything moving and secure it with a crapload of zip ties.

Enjoy the trail a bike.

Used bungie cords instead, with my ulock for the oh gently caress securing:

Going to refine the process a bit, as I have two older bikes than those two to haul to one of our local co-ops. I think I'm going to take the boards off the pegs, then set the tire between them next time. It made the 5 mile trip though, including uphills. Starting was sketchy as gently caress, but I made it, so gently caress it.

Also belated NBD! :toot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have hauled two bikes with the Kombi before I've hauled anything else with it.

Including over 11 miles to take one of my older bikes to donate today :v:

there was a roadie who was going the other way as I neared the shop with the donated bike, and he definitely double take'd.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My boss: "Taking your bike to costco? That's insane"

Me:

e: so I think I want to get the front basket for it and the side bags that Yuba makes. Suddenly, I have a bike that can haul so much, and it's loving awesome.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 17, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Terrible achievement get: commute in very unhealthy air.

Riding home last night was probably one of the creepiest rides I've done, and I had a mask on the whole ride except where I took a few drinks at stop lights.

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 29, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Things are clearing up here, thank the gods. Still smoky, but nowhere near as bad as it was Tuesday.

Also, hello new bags:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a real dumb plan for the Kombi.

Stand by for stupidity once it arrives!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

I have a real dumb plan for the Kombi.

Stand by for stupidity once it arrives!

The stupidity: a Surly Corner Bar to "drop bar" convert it.

Verdict: good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kimbo305 posted:

Which width did you get? I was using a carbon AliExpress ripoff for a while and liked it ok. The weight of the real thing, while not a huge fraction of my ebike, was still so unattractive.

50 cm. Only downside is I can't use tall items in the basket anymore, which really was 'my cooler'. So it's been worth it.

e:
Old cockpit

New:

Did a decent job taping it, but eh, could be better

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 16, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Troutful posted:

Thanks folks! My library has both books, so I'll check them out. I went on my first real ride today (~10 miles) and things went pretty smoothly. I have a few more questions if anyone's willing to take a crack at them:

1.) I've heard that you can (or are supposed to?) come to a stop by braking and then leaning to one side so one foot falls flat on the ground. I've tried to do this, but I think my seat is *just* high enough that I can't put my foot down without toppling over -- at best, I can touch the ground with my toes, which feels wobbly. I've been dismounting my bike from one side like a horse when I need to stop. Should I try to lower my seat so I can straddle the bike with one foot on the ground?

2.) My bike is faster than I expected and I'm braking a lot on descents. That's okay to do, right? Do I need to be concerned about "riding" my brakes?

3.) My wrists hurt. Besides loosening my death grip on the handlebars, any tips for dealing with this? I might fiddle with the handlebar height and see if that helps.

A photo of the bike, IDK if it's good or anything, this was given to me along with a pile of accessories for :20bux:

For :20bux: that is a fantastic snag. Holy poo poo that's a bottle dyno on the back there, even better!

Some other advice that you might need beyond what the others have said: look to see if you have any bicycle co-ops near you. They will offer you training on how to maintain your bike and have a lot of specialized tools that you might need down the line that you can use there. If you need parts, they usually have them for cheap as well, and they might have a bag that will work with your rack. Otherwise those aren't cheap, and I spent over 150 dollars for my bag (new) but considering I've been using that bag for commuting for probably close to 5 years now, it was worth every penny.

A bigger piece of advice I have is to take your front wheel off and 'change' the tube a few times. You never know when you might need to do it while on the road and having practice doing so in a non-pressure situation is a big help.

And finally: learn how to lube up your chain.

iospace fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 19, 2023

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No clue about banning right turn on red, but some rear end in a top hat nearly sideswiped me in the bus/bike lane the other day. They got the finger for that one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ham Equity posted:

Here to help, OP: right turn on red is bad.

Oh I'm well aware, but I don't know if Milwaukee has taken steps to blanket ban it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yesterday was one of the shittiest commutes I've had. Snowing, high winds, etc. Oh, and no studs yet.

Still better than driving.