Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

alnilam posted:

Yeah downhill there / uphill home is nice in the summer for sure. But where I lived at the time it was usually anywhere from 0 to 30 F in the morning commute. So I'd leave my house and freeze on the way down the hill but be fine once I got to the flat and started pedaling, or, if I dressed up for the downhill part I'd get way too hot on the flat part (and being sweaty when it's sub-freezing outside sucks).

The real solution is to change layers partway through but :effort: so I always opted for freezing through the downhill part and being dressed appropriately for the rest

Yeah sometimes I stop and stuff my jacket in the pannier, but far too often I just tell myself it's only another 5-10 minutes and just sweat to death out of laziness.

I sometimes fantasise about some kind of insane actively controlled heating/cooling jacket, like astronauts wear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I've had multiple people ask me to explain what the front gears actually do and how you are supposed to use them when I've been volunteering at the local bike repair not for profit. I think having two sets of gears interacting is just annoying and unintuitive for a lot of people, particularly if you compare it to the simplicity of having only one set.

I also hate adjusting them, so I hope this trend of doing away with them continues and sticks.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

It's the interaction between the two that is the issue.

In truth, a lot of people just do not understand how gear size relates to torque and speed as it's not something they've ever needed to know.

But if you only have rear gears (or only front gears, but that isn't a thing really) then its easy: change the gear number up or down to either go faster or make it easier. How does it work? Who cares.

With two sets, it's similar but they interact and ultimately people don't want to think about Mechanical systems when they ride, they just want to ride.