Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I don't really see the point of that $6000 Trek thing for an 11 mile commute though. For that money you can get a Vespa Elletrica. Or a cheaper electric scooter AND an e-bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Blinking rear lights are also annoying as hell for other cyclists behind you.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I wondered about the Klickfix system for a while, can it really hold 15lbs in place? Does it work well? The idea of having a klickfix handlebar mount on several bikes and then be able to freely switch different bags and baskets between them is appealing, but the mounting system looks so flimsy and plastic-y.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Why does a misfire make her trust the product more

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Animal Friend posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to the stance you have on the bike. Some flat bars are very relaxed and upright so you get to cruise in comfort but not very quickly.

I'll recommend checking out the Merida speeder range (of which I own) since the top two are specced very well for the price (the 400 range has the 105 gearset) and although flat bars they have a very aggressive stance so they feel as fast as a drop bar. Merida frames are also quite big, so would suit your size.

I don't know much about the Sirrus but it looks like it has wider bars, which means its a more relaxed stance. I've tried the Trek FX series which is decent but didn't feel as fast as the Merida and previously had a Cannondale Quick which, despite the name was pretty much a laid back cruiser (very light for the price though).

I'd like to add that a more upright position also provides a better view of your surroundings than an aerodynamic one. An aggressive drop bar road bike gets annoying really fast if you constantly have to look ahead and to your left and right imo. It's the main reason I don't use a road bike for city commuting.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

It's not a road bike. It's not a mountain bike. It's something in between.

That describes pretty much every possible bike (that’s not a road bike or an MTB)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't plan on getting one, but I was always curious what the point of a fixie bike was? They seem wholly inferior since you can change gears, and I feel like that'd make hills a pain in the rear end plain and simple. Was/Is it just a hipster fad? I only ever see the most cliché looking people riding them here in Paris.

Just try riding one. It feels completely different. A singlespeed has the advantages AfricanBootyShine listed, and a fixie also feels like a much more direct engagement with the drivetrain. It's hard to describe, but you'll feel it if you ever ride one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Fixies were mostly track bikes in the beginning, and you're not allowed to have brakes on the track. Not having brakes in actual traffic is just a toxic masculinity thing I think.