Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

If teachers took time off for every cold they got there would be no schools, kids are basically walking cold factories (and plenty of people round the world do home school for this exact reason).

Substitute teaching is outsourced and paid less than poo poo. Teachers have to go in when sick because if no one picks up the sub job then the only option is to farm the kids out to other staff in the building and then your colleagues hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

So apparently a tiny little bit of ceramic (from like a broken spark plug), when hurled at a car window, shatters it immediately.

I like this idea because otherwise it's incredibly difficult to break safety glass, so it is very easy to feign innocence.

I haven't tested this myself, but have considered adding a few to my saddlebag for retribution. Would go well with the valve stem removal tool I carry for similar purposes.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

i should probably get some kind of first aid kit, got an REI gift card so dunno if anyone has anything good to say about these: https://www.rei.com/search?q=first+aid+kit

if not, what's a good brand? i think ideally i'd have a tiny kit for day trips and a larger kit for an upcoming bike tour i'm doing

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-first-aid-kit

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

IMO the best part of waxing chains isn't the potentially improved longevity or marginal gains, it's that they're basically as clean, quiet, and smooth as a belt, without the belt complications.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

One ride on a wet gritty road and they will lose the wax and start to rust. I have to wipe the chain down with a oily rag after a wet ride. We have a gates belt cross over drive on a tandem and it's so much cleaner. We bought the tandem second hand and put around 4000miles on it and afaik it's the original belt.

Were you fastidious about chain prep prior to waxing? I've not had this issue...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dog Case posted:

You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid. You can even have one that doesn't fold up if you want

LOVE THIS

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You feel awkward until you realize that if you were in a car solo going straight they'd be in the exact same situation.

I occasionally let people buy if they're waiting patiently, it's a super long light, and there's a ton of room on the inside of the corner.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brake cable housing is spiral wound to protect against tearing as the lever is pulled increasing the internal "pressure" from the cable itself.

Shifter cable housing has the filaments running parallel to the cable, owing to being under much less load and having a greater need for maintaining specific length for indexing to work correctly.

You can see which is which by either looking at a cut end or seeing if a subtle spiral is visible through the outer plastic or not.

alnilam posted:

Shifting cables/housing and brake cables/housing are different from each other. But as long as you get brake cable/housing, yes it's universal, you can walk into any bike shop and get some. A local shop will probably even have cool colors of housing if you want. Have the measurements handy for the housing when you go in.

The general recommendation is to replace cable and housing together but I know plenty of people who will keep the housing through several cables, as long as it looks good and the cable travels freely.

Wouldn't you actually want to replace the housing and keep the cable? It would be pre-stretched and the Teflon/anti-friction coating is part of the housing, right?

(I've only ever changed them as a set, so honestly curious)

amenenema fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 16, 2024

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Veskit posted:

A while ago someone (or someones) in the commuter thread helped me get my road bike and I still ride and love it. I also have a e bike, but I'm looking for a nice casual city bike that I can ride with people and fit the vibe. It should be under 500, but I'd really like to keep it at 300ish. I'd like smoothness and comfort over speed, and I might go 10 miles tops each way.

Height: 5 ' 11
Inseam: 32
Budget: 200-500, much prefer to spend less than 500 but for the right bike I can go up
Length of commute: 20 miles in a day max
Terrain: Fairly flat, mostly in bike lanes, occasional hills
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/

Not sure the vibe you're looking for but...

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-medium-56cm-schwinn-tempo/7734273637.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/d/saint-paul-bianchi-cruiser-road-bike/7738202512.html

You can also find fashionable singlespeeds new at various places online for 500 and under. Bikesdirect, State, etc.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Groda posted:

That's because singlespeeds are the dumbest bike fad.

Weird flex but okay. Was just putting "casual" plus "vibe" together and seemed like a reasonable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Veskit posted:

Respectfully, ew single speed gross :barf:

I actually like this one, i'll check it out. Thank you for the help!

No sweat! I just plugged "56cm" into your Craigslist under Bikes. You could also try 54 or 55cm for more options.