Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The best way to keep a bike clean in conditions like that is to not even try to and just throw the chain and cassette out when it inevitably gets too crunchy to ride.

Last full-time commuting salty winter in Chicago, I was keeping my bike in the communal basement bike room (heated and drains in floor). I just kept a little pressurized sprayer bottle handy, hosed everything down when I got home and relubed weekly, and everything was fine except for the real cheapo metal nuts/bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

Thread title?

Also I had the day off so not work commuting but still had errands to run yesterday and this is what my trip computer read when I got home to my doorstep.

ninicece

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

screw on pump heads at home are so much less stressful though!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Mauser posted:

Bike Commuting: Show Us Your Loads!

what about a trailer towing another trailer!

1973 Barnett Butterfly on a dolly, probably towing 200-250lbs total.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

it works fine, mostly on flat terrain and not going over 5mph or so.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

As a fellow winter commuter in Chicago, cheap bar mitts and a balaclava made a huge difference with temp drops, along with good boots.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I may have also. Like I said though tire's wobbly and the bike can't be ridden. Maybe no one is to blame, but the whole vacation debacle is enough for me to stop going to the shop closest to me and try another one.

sounds like cones getting unlocked and backing off, making the axle loose. if it was tightened right away it might be fine but probably toast if it was used like that for a while i'm guessing

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

not rain pants but I just splurged for a Cleverhood cape thing, and it kept me quite dry during the one rain storm I've been through so far. it also comes in an amazing dazzle white and black pattern.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I bought a very nice two tone Hella 12v horn drawing about 8 amps on Amazon a long time ago for about $15, and wired it up with a generic USB powerpack that had a 12v output which could support up to 10 amps, and a weatherproof switch capable of handling the high(er) dc current.

I have found it very useful to 'speak car' as the Loud Bicycle company puts it. A quick honk if someone is merging into you or doing something else dumb almost always triggers a reflex for them to stop/move away.

It could definitely be used for evil if you don't have self control. The closest I get is if someone is parking blocking the bike lane (sadly common here) and getting out of their car, I will give them a honk at close range as I pass them. Since it is unexpected and, well, loud as poo poo (the reviews were all about it being an 'upgrade' from regular car horns), it gives a bit of a shock that hopefully people will remember next time they are choosing to block the bike lane!

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 5, 2022

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Yeah, I still have a bell for the polite heads-up to pedestrians on shared paths.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

God Hole posted:

i think simonsays is more concerned with avoiding this type of situation

if you mount it forward of the fork it can't do this.

I wouldn't do it with a floppy u-lock, but with a lightweight & solid one it's fine. just don't do it on a carbon fork!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Guessing it has 15mm axle bolts then - you can always just add a 15mm box wrench to your kit!

There are a couple tools designed for this with other features as well, often sold as single speed/fixie tools:

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/single-speed-spanner-ss-15

https://pedros.com/products/trixie

https://surlybikes.com/parts/jethro_tule

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

disc brakes make for pretty easy swaps. I imagine you'd be able to get another wheelset and tires for something like $300-500 maybe? or do those use weird axle standards?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

agreed, skinnier tires can slice through snow and slush much easier, and then the studs keep a grip on any hidden ice.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

cleverhood is dope, keeps me dry in nasty weather

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

i do like a good forward-facing white light on my helmet just to project over parked cars to people pulling out of side streets, the light doesn’t have to be at all bright to get the job done.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I bought a cheap Hella two tone setup that drew under 10 amps at 12v (I forget exactly how much but that was the limit) and they were fantastic.

now that I am limited to 48v 1a on the ebike I have a military/forklift single horn and it is a little more moped-ey but not too bad.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Yeep posted:

Carradice do an SQR mount that's great for taking their larger saddle bags on and off the bike without undoing all of the straps. I used it a lot when I was doing super lightweight cycle touring.

https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/seatpost-quick-release-saddlebags/?v=79cba1185463

I love my SQR bag, my friend got jealous of how easy it was and had to get one too.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

what happens if they want to gate check it?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have an old school bell with an enormous thumb lever mounted outside my bar mitts, and there is plenty of flex in the mitts to be able to ring it nicely.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have a pretty loose/thin wool balaclava that fits under my helmet and doesn’t do anything that just wearing a helmet wouldn’t. I haven’t used it yet, but I also just got ski goggles that have a nose cover which should help shield my nose/cheeks from wind and snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Nobody Interesting posted:

Any recommendations here for helmet cams? The spring brings out the chuds and idiot dog owners that I'd love to catch on tape if they cause an accident. GoPros are a little too expensive as far as I can see.

for a quick toss-it-on-the-helmet cam, I’d go with an older (maybe 8-9 when they figured out super stabilization) gopro. cycliq was nice but kept dying right after warranty expiration on me and they refused to help at all