Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

BeastPussy posted:

For 5.5 to 7 miles around Boston, get a dedicated commuter and learn to fix it yourself. You'll get much better enjoyment out of it and be able to maintain your own stuff after a bit.

N+1 is always a good strategy!

But seriously if you plan on doing your own maintenance and have to wait for parts to be delivered then multiple bikes is pretty mandatory if you don't want downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

evil_bunnY posted:

That was not a great 105 generation. I'm not a fan of mine.

I liked mine until I got a 5800 bike.... Holy poo poo it was like night and day.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ImplicitAssembler posted:

They're also light, easy to carry up stairs, etc, so ideal for apartment/office dwellers that don't want to lock up your bike on the street.

Tell that to the cheapo steel frame and double-wall eyeletted front rim on my commuter fixie :colbert:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Invalido posted:

Muffled is no good. In this age of headphones I want as loud a bell as I can get.

Can I interest you in an excessively loud freehub instead?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

An area near me has bike racks that are cut from flat plate steel, and when not in use are nearly invisible to pedestrians. Also they are exactly crotch height (ask me how I know). So I can see maybe someone thinks these should be mounted to be visible to the foot traffic?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

In the years since I've noticed them it looks like they've replaced them all with stainless steel tube versions of the same design.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

evil_bunnY posted:

I use di2 but holy poo poo never having to gently caress with shift cables/adjustment ever owns so much

Commute on fixed gear and you can avoid the cost too!!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Animal Friend posted:

I don't think they still make the black reflective tape?

https://www.amazon.com.au/3M-Scotch-Scotchlite-Reflective-Striping/dp/B0010ASWF4

I'm not sure what you'd do with a roll that big....

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'd say it sucks for a few people...otherwise it'll be the choice of having room for a lot less bikes.

I'd hope the have non-wall storage too...

My current workplace has this: https://centralparktower.com.au/the-facilities/end-of-trip

Which is going to be shut down permanently in the next couple of months to turn into a carpark because they are building a new, upgraded facility on a different basement level

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I thought that generally adding drops doesn't work based on the geometry of flat bar bikes

I put an aero basebar on my fixie and riding out on them is easily as deep a posture as my road bike drops

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Helter Skelter posted:

You can end up eating poo poo when you least expect it.

My rear wheel slipped out from under me at low speed when I was coming into the garage at work a couple weeks ago and I hosed up both my hands in the fall (dislocated thumb and a possible broken hamate bone).

It wasn't even icy, just a little damp out.

I feel you - had a head on collision with a 12yo on his bike who popped out into the road from behind a parked truck 5 weeks ago

He took a shoulder to the chest from a 40yo at 20kph... No injuries.

I ended up with my thumb trapped between the bikes and got this for my troubles:

Turns out thumbs are useful, getting it crushed is not something I can recommend

Edit: also ruined my forks, saddle rails, brake levers, font wheel and scratched up various carbon bits like handlebars.

norp fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2024

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

trilobite terror posted:

I hope you’re suing the poo poo out of that kid

You must be an American where this is a life-changing financial event

Had I used the public system it would have been $0 (instead of my fancy private insurance cover... which for some dumb reason ends up costing $1500. Only difference is that I get fancy doctors instead of the completely green trainees that I got to see in the ER)

As for the bike - it's a $500 frame from 2012 so literally worthless. I'll build up something new when my bones are done healing and I have a new thumbnail. In fact I think the frame is fine because it's a crappy hi-ten steel thing without butting.

Talking to a lawyer would likely cost me at *least* $2k let alone making it to any kind of mediation or lawsuit.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Nobody Interesting posted:

How do you get good at uphill :(

Ride a fixie everyday and build yourself thighs like a track cyclist?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

wooger posted:

But I often now commute in normal clothes apart from the jacket unless I’m planning to do a training ride straight after work, or it’s raining hard. In which case it’s better to be underdressed overall so I don’t sweat through my shirt by arrival.

Almost never worth bothering with waterproof anything on such a short ride, and I’m lucky to have showers, lockers, and even a drying cupboard at work if needed.

I've given up trying to stay any sort of dry on my commute having access to a drying room (yes room! It's like a giant rich person's walk in closet with a space heater and dehumidifier fighting each other).

As long as it's not raining on multiple consecutive days my shoes get a chance to dry out, and I pull my old ones out and rotate if it's been too wet too many days in a row. I don't have to deal with freezing temperatures though.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

SimonSays posted:

Seems like indexed front shifting made a lot of people hate front derailers, for good reason. It's so unnecessary, more so even than indexing a rear, it has two positions.

I feel like my 5600 was pretty crap and I had to use the trimming all the time but all the doubles after that are fine

Then again I never really shift out of the big ring and until today I totally forgot the trim positions existed on the 5800 I've been riding for the last 3 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I think the bigger wtf there is understanding rear gears but not front ones